1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Godly Starts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by SirPepsi, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Theramoe

Theramoe Chieftain

I love this start. Kinda flying off, did get DF + enhanced , as well as HG, Petra and NC before turn 100..

thanks for the share..

2. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

In general I agree that they are less valuable now but I dont always go Freedom for Statue of Liberty so Hydro Plants are still quite useful to me. and I dont always get Hanging Gardens at Immortal+ so gardens become a bit more useful. But lakes are nice replacements if river isnt around. Both can be good terrain pains for the AI in earlier wars.

3. Deau

Deau Emperor

They also increase your gold value for trade routes by a 25% multiplier which increases the odds of receiving early game trade routes from neighbors when they have the option between you and other neighbors.

This makes rivers particularly strong over lakes at higher difficulty because at T20-40 this is both a huge GPT and BPT increase

4. Nick Carpathia

Nick Carpathia Unleash the HAARP

I still prefer rivers over lakes because they (a) not junk tiles, and (b) tend to irrigate alot more tiles. But I'll take what I can get.

I find rivers more of a liability for defence, mainly because settling on them doesn't stop your opponent from sitting 2 tiles away shooting at you, but it does stop you from maneuvering your defenders. Well, at least they tend to be good for trapping enemy melee units.

5. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Its much more a case of taking what you get rather than rerolling hundreds of times for riverside, marble, and plenty of food and commerce tiles. A river alone without strong tiles is weaker than a lakeside with plenty of food, commerce and marble available.

6. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

Of course, but, in general, a river is superior to a lake - unless you're playing Monty.

7. Nick Carpathia

Nick Carpathia Unleash the HAARP

Even then, unless your city is also coastal with a lighthouse, a lake is no better than a civil service grass farm.

(Just to clarify, is this still the case in Civ5? In Civ4, coastal lighthoused cities get +1food on their lakes)

8. stormfallen

stormfallen Warlord

Lighthouses don't affect lakes in V, only the Aztec's Floating Gardens do.

9. Deau

Deau Emperor

If this thread is still alive -
    I am really, really looking for a deity map where I can get either Uluru or GBR with cap and the other with 2nd city (I could settler for Victoria lake/Solomon's mine instead of Uluru if there's a faith CS nearby).

I'm trying to cheat my map to sub T200 SV for kicks and jiggles.

10. justanotherturn

justanotherturn Warlord

with spain ? so it's really easy ? :p :p

I remember a G&K map with spain and GBR in capitol.
    If noone has been so lucky to get this in BnW you better use the SDK and edit a map, it will be faster. (i'm no pro editing map, when i do something like that my map dont have ruins)

Spawning close to a NW is rare, spawning close to 2 NW.... and specific ones. it's almost impossible.

but if you find this map I wanna play it too :p :p

11. Qoma

Qoma Warlord

IGE, my friend. If you really want something that specific, you'll have to make it yourself.

12. Hammer Rabbi

i took way too much effort and time in cooking these settings. i went into WorldBuilder and made a start for Spain with EVERY Natural Wonder within workable tile radius of the starting spot.

Spoiler :
    Key features:
    1. it took more effort than I thought to make sure the minimum amount of wonders (4) were visible from the start so as to maximize the gold for discovering them after settling in place. It wasnt possible to have all of them workable and not be seen from the start.
    2. You honestly dont need a worker for a long time. You will settle immediately on a salt and there are forests and jungle around for later when they are better tiles than some of the lesser wonders.
    3. every tile within a 5 tile radius has a resource of some kind. the ones not seen are obviously revealed with the appropriate tech. You start on a river for all available buildings but I couldnt do it on a hill because you could see too far for the wonders.
    4. there are at least 2 copies of every luxury except the ones that only CSs may have.
    5. this is a Deity difficulty save. there are 6 Civs/12 CSs on a continents map.
    6. Opponents aren't within realistic range to settle a 2nd city within your 5 tile radius. But you can have as many cities as you need as soon as you need them. The settings for future cities are not maximized, just the start for the capital.
    7. All DLCs are in this, sorry for those without them. All VCs are enabled. EDIT: I forgot I was using the beta patch so this might also be a conflict. Just FYI.
    8. I had some graphical errors in being able to see all of the Wonders images. They are there if you let the mouse hover but I think this had to do with crowding and unexpected combinations.

My first experience with it:
    Spoiler :
    From my first 20 turns I timed what i could to have the most possible, soonest. Obviously growth was prioritized. I started GL on turn 9, Stonehenge 6 turns later, religion on t12 and enhanced on t19. I didnt continue playing but just seeing the ridiculousness of the start was fun.

Wonder work order for me:
    turn 0: Uluru (for first turn pantheon)
    turn 1: Lake Victoria
    turn 2: Great Barrier Reef
    turn 3: Great Barrier Reef
    turn 4: Solomons Mines (while building GL, Stonehenge, etc)
    after that was Sri Pada, Mt. Fuji and every other growth wonder.

Took me about 2 hours to get this map going, I hope you enjoy it for a couple turns. Will be interesting to see if anyone plays very far beyond "god mode". I hope there isnt some bug or crash later as I havent played this past 20 turns yet.

godliest start possible.jpg

View attachment Isabella_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

13. Daneh

Daneh Chieftain

Required DLC is not available (i have all the DLC's)

14. Hammer Rabbi

have you opted into the beta patch? this might be the reason. also, i have vanilla, all DLC Civs, GnK, BNW, WotAW but not any of the Cradle maps.

15. Daneh

Daneh Chieftain

I have all of those except the beta so that must be the reason.

16. justanotherturn

justanotherturn Warlord

I think he was hoping for a more "plausible one", but nice job on the most abusive start ever.
    don't have the beta patch now and will wait the patch before touching again that.

lol at the jungle grassland salt !

17. Hammer Rabbi

i wasnt trying to do that for Deau. i was just doing a ridiculous start. I started working on it last weekend but forgot about it til someone posted in here again. then i forgot i had downloaded the beta patch, haha. if i naturally get an Uluru/GBR/LakeV start i will certainly post it.

18. Deau

Deau Emperor

Indeed. I'm looking to minmax a lucky haunch. I might try it if its not too complicated to debug. Different project.

The reverse of whoever had modded a 9th difficulty in vanilla

19. Hammer Rabbi

well, just inserting GBR and/or Uluru into any regular map isnt hard with WB. you just have to set your starting location and set the number of AI/CSs and let the game randomize their elements. if you want one just let me know. just give me a couple particulars and i can do that. it would be much faster than restart after restart hoping for it.

20. Deau

Deau Emperor

Right. I guess my issue with using SDK is that I would struggle to keep myself from getting too great a setup like a large peninsula to plant 4 coastal mountain river cities or take an already overly godly map without wonders and just give it the 3 wonders (counting GBR as 2).

It sounds dumb I know. It's just what I am.