1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Godly Starts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by SirPepsi, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Deau

Deau Emperor

I'm going to sound like an idiot but where do I get a beta access code to opt in so I can try your super map?

Edit I found the thread in the general forums you can disregard the above.

2. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

the fun factor plummets tremendously when you get such things but as a sandbox experiment it is mostly a curiosity. but if you didnt want map knowledge just let me know so i could set you up something normal just with one or both in the vicinity. to avoid derailing this thread you can pm me if you want. normally 5 or 6 standard number of wonders is in my games but if you get GBR to yourself then i'd up the wonder count for AI to have access too. and not just old faithful, haha.

i've had GBR before but not for the cap. its always been a 2nd city that eventually becomes stronger than my cap. but being deity pre-BNW i almost always lost it because it was a huge target very near opponents.

3. Deau

Deau Emperor

Actually, AIs don't use nat wonders much and additional wonders on the map means +2 early game happiness per as spain with good scouting which is extremely powerful for the human. Arguably more than the yield it provides to AIs. Just saying.

But I think I'll just keep on spawning a few random maps left and right. As I said, I need the feel that it could be a "lucky haunch" map so even a controlled use of SDK will break my perspective.

Thanks for the offer though. If I change my mind I'll definitely PM you

4. Deau

Deau Emperor

Sorry to diverge from the thread but I don't quite keep up with general forums.

Hammer Rabbi, do you know if the current iteration of the beta is really all they are improving with the patch? It feels like only very few issues were addressed and I'm somewhat disappointed.

There are not nearly enough adjustments to CV, improvements to honor and exploration changes are still not even remotely close to good enough.

The change to aesthetics makes it even less important to fill until the super late game than before.

No nerfs were made to rationalism so all competitive strategies will still involve a big jump into rationalism as soon as renaissance begins.

5. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

How do I save and load that start?

EDIT: I figured out where to save the file - but how do I opt into the beta you were talking about to be able to load the map?
    Thanks,
    SirPepsi

EDIT2: Never mind - thanks.

6. Hammer Rabbi

if you opened my spoiler and saw the save there you just click on it and save it, then move that save to your Single Player saves folder in your Civ5 folder in My Documents. the next time you load Civ5 it should be in Load Games.

7. Hammer Rabbi

from the patch threads found here

8. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

Thanks Hammer. I downloaded the public beta, but the file still won't read. I then tried to download the SDK beta, but when I enter the given code, it says it's invalid. I'll have to figure it out, but thanks for your help - can't wait to get the start up and running.

9. Hammer Rabbi

I didnt use the SDK beta in making it so you dont need to opt into that one. if no one can open and use this save i'll try to figure out what I did wrong and re-upload the save. its sounding like it might not just be a beta test issue.

EDIT: i just got into my save no problem. i hope someone can confirm loading it even if they have no intention of playing it. i wont be able to address this until tomorrow if no one can load it.

10. Deau

Deau Emperor

I was able to open the save with only opt-in beta game(I have all DLCs). I played about 70 turns.

11. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

Which DLC was used? I have all Civs but not all maps.

12. Parnell

Parnell Chieftain

It's a safe assumption that Mac's cannot access the Beta game?

13. justanotherturn

justanotherturn Warlord

I got you a spain godly start.

Spoiler :

move to the top wine. then move across the river, on the costal Hill.
    Enjoy.
    Spoiler :
    for those who doesnt want to DL the map :
    Spoiler :
    You got a 2 wonder capitol, GRB + Kilimanjaro

sadly it's not deity, it's immortal pangea.

Attached Files:

14. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

That sounds great - there are so many maps I want to try, but the Beta isn't working for me. I followed the instructions, and I saw Sid Meier CiV download the update, but when I open the game, the version # doesn't change.

My hope is to wait for the official release next week or something, and then maybe I can download these starts.

15. justanotherturn

justanotherturn Warlord

no beta patch on my map.
    I should work with DLC and BnW

sry for the oneliner.

16. SirPepsi

SirPepsi Warlord

It says I don't have the required DLC? I don't know what to do - is my game just broken?

I verified the game cache, and now I see V. 1.0.3.128 below the main menu, but I still can't load either of your maps?

17. qutsemnie

qutsemnie Chieftain

Earth appears to have some crazy starts. I had never tried it. I did Inca standard random starting locations. I didn't know it, but I appeared on the east side of India, and following a principle of dominate inland territory I moved 2 squares due north to settle in southern Himalayas.

Starting city had 6 luxuries of 5 different types, and mad opportunity to take advantage of Inca bonus and numerous river tiles. Just for mid game charm the game put Coal on my door step. This was on Emperor, so there wasn't even a strong starting bonus in play.

I would tell you how I played it, but I think it would be harder to lose the game with a start like this than to win it. This screen shot was taken at the point I decided the game was over because it was in run away mode. I think the game might have been over at the start.

Attached Files:

18. Hammer Rabbi

I dont know either. Do you know what folder you placed the save in? I said earlier that I have all the DLCs except the Cradle maps. I have the same game version as well but that is only from the main menu. Try going into Mods and load it from there. Even though this isnt a mod it might work as the save might be defined as one. This hasnt happened to me in the past (some of my GotMs were made the same way as this) but at this point it is just trying anything to get it to load. We might have to wait for the patch to officially be released. Sorry for all the complications.

EDIT: I just loaded justanotherturn's save just fine. also, that is a pretty awesome start.

19. justanotherturn

justanotherturn Warlord

you love understatement. :p

The +4 faith from natural wonder become +8 with Spain. So I got a nice +24 faith at turn 9. (2 faith CS can be found first.)
    I already play the first 100 turn of this map twice. was first into renaissance both time (long before anyone else). first pantheon, first religion, first enhancer, all the wonders you want... with holy warrior you can go domination really early with a start like that, or rush science, or even go for a culture victory using sacred site...

20. Hammer Rabbi

hehe, dont forget the Kilimanjaro hill bonus. that promo is just really fun. im surprised how often ive been seeing it in my games. before the patch i had 3 games where i could settle it with a 2nd city very easily. ended up changing to dom vic in two of them because terrain wasnt as big an issue anymore. but keeping track of who had and who didnt cause some small warfare blips for me, hehe.