Going Viking (Conquests)

Can't wait for the update!! Good luck on finals everyone (or grading, as the case may be)!

I just started playing this great scenario again this morning. Great fun. But I've found two problems:
1) I can't build Leif Eriksson's Voyage. I think the problem is that it has to be "near water". I'm not sure , but that's my best guess. Has anybody else had this problem?
2) Is that land to the far east supposed to look like Denmark? Why are all those marshes there? (I now it's not that important, but somebody had to say it).

Juul

There is no Denmark on this map, the marshy area is just around modern day Netherlands. I'm working on a new version and redid the map - have a look at the link and let me know what you think.

Leif's voyage requires a harbour improvement before it can be built. Maybe that's the reason. In fact this makes the "near water" flag superfluous so I'll remove it for the next version.

JuuL said:
I just started playing this great scenario again this morning. Great fun. But I've found two problems:
1) I can't build Leif Eriksson's Voyage. I think the problem is that it has to be "near water". I'm not sure , but that's my best guess. Has anybody else had this problem?
2) Is that land to the far east supposed to look like Denmark? Why are all those marshes there? (I now it's not that important, but somebody had to say it).

Attachments

• Viking Quest.zip
    43.5 KB · Views: 146
1) I should have known it was the Netherlands... Denmark isn't that far to the west :rolleyes: The new map is good but there are a few things that aren't quite right (but I've seen worse maps of Denmark... much worse). But it's getting late now so I'll post the detalis tomorrow.
2) I did build a harbour (but the requirement wasn't mentioned in the pedia so I had to open the editor).

I'm back now... here's what I have to say. Maybe it's a bit too much considering that this is all just about a little part of the map but I think it's worth doing this properly.
The map:
The southern part of Denmark is well done, but the northern part is catastrophic - Denmark is too close to the Swedish coast. Actually it is so close that Midjylland does not have acces to the Atlantic Ocean. Limfjorden (the water that parts Jylland in 2) is also not very good. I will post a picture of my own suggestion of how to make this in a few days.
Resources:
The only iron in Denmark is some bog iron ore but I'm not sure were in the country it is (or was). But iron should be placed in marshes, not hills.
City placement:
Most of the cities are OK. But maybe Jelling should be a coastal city (the Viking longboats could easily sail up the river near Jelling). And Danwirke (should be Dannevirke) is not a city but a big palisade southeast of Hedeby, you could place some fortresses/barricades there (or make it a Great Wonder?). Aggersborg was a fortress but it was a very important one so maybe that's a good reason for making it a city. I've never heard about Borglum but it could of course have been an important town anyway.
Civs:
Most historians agree that Denmark was one country in 790 AD when this scenario begins (capital: Jelling). But some believe that there was another Danish kingdom ruled from a city near the lake of Tissø (or "Tissoe" or "Tissö" if you can't write "ø") on western Sjælland (Zealand). If the map was changed to include this part of Denmark (just a few more tiles to the east) the kingdom of Tissø could be added.

Wow... that was a lot of text. I hope you can use some of it. I will also try to find a map of Danish cities in 790 AD... I'll return in a few days.

edit: post #250 [party]

That's very helpful Juul and if you could get a map with Danish cities in 790 even more so. Although, you should know that I'm going to push the scenario back a bit 740s if that should make any difference. I just don't know where I got Borglum from but I swear I saw it on a map, I just can't locate it now. I knew about the Danwirke (Dannevirke) but I was running out of convenient place names for south Jutland but it seems I couldn't even place it in the correct place (doh).

And finally if you could post a picture of how the Limfjorden should look even better.

Hmm, there are many bugs in the scenario what u haven't fixed...
And remember to work with the zombie scenario too

KingArthur, I have a few questions/ideas:
- Are you going to do anything to limit expansion through settling (to avoid too little focus on expansion through conquest)?
- Maybe you should rename the tech "Trading". I wanted to buy it from Mercia and since I didn't know how much it was worth I asked them what they wanted for it: "What may I trade you for Trading?" (how can you trade Trading if you haven't invented Trading?)

edit: I'm going to the library tomorrow to find some maps.

@Juul - limiting settlers is a good idea. I had already increased the shield cost of settlers and they are not available from the beginning. I am doing some more things to limit them in the next version. Trading does need a new name but I just haven't thought of it yet.

JuuL said:
I think the problem is all the unused land in Germany and France. The Vikings (mostly the Danes) might use most of their time trying to settle that area...
What I've done to counter that is to disallow cities being built on forest and covered most of the area in forest. There's also a fair number of barb camps there - as well as some preplaced "stronger" barbarian units.

JuuL said:
I will try to make a new map in a few days, but I'll have to go down to the local library first to see if I can find some maps.
(posted June 21st)
Ok, maybe a bit more than a few days... but I found some maps today... I will begin making a suggestion for a new map of Denmark soon. Btw, do you still need that bridge for EFZI2?

JuuL said:
(posted June 21st)
Ok, maybe a bit more than a few days... but I found some maps today... I will begin making a suggestion for a new map of Denmark soon. Btw, do you still need that bridge for EFZI2?

Thanks Juul, as the old saying goes "better late than never" :). I bought a book - "The Penguin Historical Atlas of the Vikings" which I reworked the map from already. It would still be nice to compare with what you have.

As for the bridge, EFZI2 can do without it. I decided that the last update was going to be my last (with the exception of any bug fixes). Sorry, I should have told you sooner. I think a bridge would be a nice additon to your city terrain though and the chances of me making another scenario with that terrain in the future are high.

Don't worry about the bridge. I've been so busy making my own mod (and being in Poland) that I haven't even started making it.

edit (5:30pm): I have now started making the map. It will take me some time - making a country with such a complicated geography as Denmark (or just the western part of it) is not an easy thing to do in a 8x18 tile area.

Here it is. It's not perfect, but it is difficult to make it that small. The map is based on two maps, both of them generel maps for the entire Viking Age. I have added some fortresses and a road (the Army Road) to the map. I know they give the Danes some unfair advantages, so just remove them if you want to.
I have had to suggest some rule changes. However, none of them have been actually changed in the file so I will just write my ideas here:

The three civs are:
(Old name) - (New name, noun & adjective)
Nordjylland - Nordjylland, Nordjyder, Nordjysk
Sonderjylland - Sønderjylland, Sønderjyder, Sønderjysk
Midjylland - Øerne, Øboer, Øbosk

Some extra city names for the three civs:
Nordjylland: Fyrkat, Trabjerg, Lindholm Høje
Sonderjylland: Bække, Vorbasse, Ravning Enge, Sædding, Slesvig
Midjylland: Trelleborg, Ringsted, Lejre, Skullevig, Ladby, Glavendrup, Skullelev, Roskilde, Lynæs

btw, I will be on vacation for a few days

edit: attachment removed

Great help, thanks again. Hope you have a nice vacation.

[edit] the zip appears to be corrupt. Can you upload it again please.

[edit] never mind :) I'm guessing it's actually a biq file and all I have to do is rename the extension. I don't have Civ on this PC so I'll confirm that when I get home.

I'm back. The file is not a biq file, it's a zip - and a corrupt one, it seems. So I'll just upload the biq file.
A few more things about the map: The capitals of the 3 Danish tribes are Tissø, Jelling & Århus. You may need some new leadernames, but I can only think of Gorm the Old as the king of Sønderjylland.
And a question: Are you going to do anything to make sure that the different vikings will attack England and not just use all their time on killing each other?

Attachments

• newdenmark2.zip
    48.1 KB · Views: 127
JuuL said:
I'm back. The file is not a biq file, it's a zip - and a corrupt one, it seems. So I'll just upload the biq file.
A few more things about the map: The capitals of the 3 Danish tribes are Tissø, Jelling & Århus. You may need some new leadernames, but I can only think of Gorm the Old as the king of Sønderjylland.
And a question: Are you going to do anything to make sure that the different vikings will attack England and not just use all their time on killing each other?
I actually managed to get the biq file from the first attachment. I've cut the viking factions down to 4. For the Danes it's Jylland and Sjaelland and for the Norse it's Vestfold and Hladir. To 'encourage' some invasions I've the placed resources required for the viking great wonders in York, Dublin, Rouen and Norwich. It's a tried and tested method that generally works out, of course a bit of inter-viking conflict is desirable. The vikings also share the same culture group and government preference.

Top Bottom