[GS] Golden Gate Bridge Wonder gif

The national park boost will jive nicely with Canada... who i suspect will spam national parks.

Depends on the cost of the Mountie, I suspect. We know Canada doesn't get National Parks, or the Mountie, until Naturalists are available to everyone. Presumably the Mountie is a less expensive way to get them, but we don't know that for sure.

There's also the issue of places to put the National Park. Mountain/tundra terrain is prime National Park territory for most civs. Canada may need those locations, though, for Campuses and Hockey Rinks.

Regular bridges don't have to give the related bonuses that the Wonder does.
Regular bridges are the bridges that span rivers. The Golden Gate was impossibly long for its day, spanning what is essentially an ocean tile.

You could say that such super-bridges have become more common since, but you could probably say the same thing about many other World Wonders in the game. I don't know of a precedent where an existing Wonder becomes replaced by a common structure.

I like the idea of a bridge wonder. But the Golden Gate would probably not have been my first choice.

They were probably hunting for a bridge that crosses ocean in the Modern Era. Larger, more recent bridges would come too late. Various pontoon bridges spanning the Bosphorus would be too early.

Regular bridges are the bridges that span rivers. The Golden Gate was impossibly long for its day, spanning what is essentially an ocean tile.

You could say that such super-bridges have become more common since, but you could probably say the same thing about many other World Wonders in the game. I don't know of a precedent where an existing Wonder becomes replaced by a common structure.

Excellent point. Scale is really hard to figure out in Civ, but bridges of the magnitude of a coastal tile are very modern.

I can’t wait to see this used in useful situations, like connecting Great Britian to mainland Europe, Italy better access into the Balkan Peninsula, or on some maps, Denmark into supper Scandanavia.

On the other hand, this could be hilariously used to connect to one tile islands, or to just cross a one tile deep inlet.

We can finally build the bridge to nowhere!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge

Golden Gate and Mackinac Bridge that connects Michigan's two peninsulas are the only two "mega bridges" that I can think of. And the Mighty Mac is STILL a terrifying wonder of engineering. It literally sways in the wind.

After all, the Golden Gate Bridge is only 8900 feet long... the Mackinac is 5 MILES long.

Sorry, my Michigan pride is shining through. California people and their petty little fair-weather bridges don't know nuthin' about building a bridge across an inland sea that's deeper than the ocean, has gale-force winds, and freezes solid. Rookies.

Golden Gate and Mackinac Bridge that connects Michigan's two peninsulas are the only two "mega bridges" that I can think of. And the Mighty Mac is STILL a terrifying wonder of engineering. It literally sways in the wind.

After all, the Golden Gate Bridge is only 8900 feet long... the Mackinac is 5 MILES long.

Sorry, my Michigan pride is shining through. California people and their petty little fair-weather bridges don't know nuthin' about building a bridge across an inland sea that's deeper than the ocean, has gale-force winds, and freezes solid. Rookies.

The Mack is subject to some terrifying crosswinds at times. One time I drove over it, the MIDoT enacted a caravan system where a designated vehicle lead a dozen or so cars across at a time at low speeds.

Excellent point. Scale is really hard to figure out in Civ, but bridges of the magnitude of a coastal tile are very modern.
The whole notion of distance in VI is very wobbly though. Is that campus in the same city, or the same region of influence as the city center? Is it its own city? How far away from the the art museum is the broadcast tower? Are 4-tile diamond lakes the size of the Caspian Sea, or the size of Lake Erie?

Something else to consider: the GGB is possibly the least magnified of all wonders because it is nearly an order of magnitude larger in base dimension than almost any other wonder, except maybe the vague “Ruhr Valley”.

(Fun fact, the next closest is the Pyramids, measuring almost 4000 feet of you count the space between the three there. But after those, base size drops off pretty fast.)

At least the Mac still looks like a bridge. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel here is a marvel of engineering at over 17 miles long, but it’s really boring to look at. (But it is great on less than clear days of not being able to see shore on either side! Not even a foggy day required!)

Top Bottom