GOTM-03 Saves Available

AlanH said:
Cut down all the things that cause instability. Turn off movies, minimise graphics enhancements ...

Or get some more RAM and a better graphics card?

Hmmm I can run CNP2 / RTW fine yet Civ 4 becomes unstable towards the end of the game ? Civ 4 would rarely crash when I had my old MX440 which i swapped out for a 6600GT only three weeks ago, It could also be that damm patch
Thou I remember the Hidious game bugs while playing GOTM on civ3 (Going into anarchy to avoid crashing gg)

I've got a AMD 2400XP OC @ 2.21 Gig
2x 512MB ram in Dual mode
430 W PSU coolmaster
GF 6600GT (Currently underclocked testing if civ is more stable, its not)
120 Gig Seagate IDE HDD
My case has an extra 60mm fan and a 120mm fan

If it says something to the affect of "Virtual Memory low" then you'll need to upgrade your graphics card as did I. I had the same problem in the late game, but a 128 MB vs a 64 MB cleared it up.

ainwood said:
A 6600 GT should be absolutely fine for Civ4 - I run it on one with no problems.

@Friendly fire - do you have the latest video card drivers (not just the ones that come on the installation CD)?

Of course.

I should have really do a reformt of my HDD and do a clean install. To boost performance.

I have all the Civ4 settings on Low, despite playing doom3 demo (mx440 vs 6600GT = OMG I can play) So Its not a power or heat problem as suspected.

i know i am not supposed to post here since i've already opened the sav (actually have finished the game).
but there appear to be a problem in the game uploading since i got this:
Final score: 2175591
this's much higher than what i got...

@GOTM Staff: Just opened the save and all my mods are working. When I checked the Settings (on F8) I did not see 'No Cheating' mentioned. I have downloaded the 'Contender' class game.

Is it supposed to be this way?

Edit: Out of curiosity I re-downloaded the save file plus I downloaded both the adventurer and challenger save file. I loaded all of them and my mods worked for them all. I checked everyone one of them with F8 and there is no mention of the 'No Cheating' being turned on.

ionimplant said:
but there appear to be a problem in the game uploading since i got this:
Final score: 2175591
this's much higher than what i got...
It is indeed! Thanks. Investigating ...

That doesn't mean cheating is allowed. It just means the password protection caused too much trouble last month, so we'll apply it when it's fixd.

Methos said:
That's rather obvious. I started playing in GOTM39 so I realize the rule.
To you, of course. However, I've learnt the hard way that it is necessary to state the blindingly obvious at every opportunity on these forums :rolleyes:

@GOTM Staff: Just opened the save and all my mods are working. When I checked the Settings (on F8) I did not see 'No Cheating' mentioned. I have downloaded the 'Contender' class game.

Is it supposed to be this way?

I accidently opened the world builder when i was playing, which means i wont be submitting :cry:

azzaman333 said:
I accidently opened the world builder when i was playing, which means i wont be submitting :cry:

I wonder if it would be worth including an "asterisked submission" into the GOTM, so that mistakes like this do not bar you from the community of entrants for the month, but still clearly marks the entry as non-competitive and not medal-eligible?

whb said:
I wonder if it would be worth including an "asterisked submission" into the GOTM, so that mistakes like this do not bar you from the community of entrants for the month, but still clearly marks the entry as non-competitive and not medal-eligible?

What does submitting it do, except cause extra work for the staff? They can still play the game and compare it to others, do a write-up, and they'll even know their own final score and can see where they *would have* finished. But it saves the staff time of not having to deal with games that aren't eligible, and saves us the time of not having to wonder why there's an asterisk there to begin with.

Staff time isn't an issue, but why bother? Spoilt games are of no interest to the rest of the competitors, as they have no way to know how spoilt those games were. Only the players themselves can judge that.

And once we start on the slippery slope of allowing spoilt games to be submitted, will the asterisk check box always be ticked? :rolleyes:

AlanH said:
Staff time isn't an issue, but why bother? Spoilt games are of no interest to the rest of the competitors, as they have no way to know how spoilt those games were.

So you've asked us all have you (because I don't remember being asked)? Or is that just a personal assumption that you speak for all of us?

AlanH said:
And once we start on the slippery slope of allowing spoilt games to be submitted, will the asterisk check box always be ticked?

The one thing we can be certain of is that it is not checked now. By lessening the cost of accidental spoilers, you lessen the cost of admitting to them, so fewer people will "pretend it never happened".

And a number of factors about the GOTM mean we are currently likely to have quite a few subtly spoilt games submitted. Actually, GOTM3 works well as an example -

The first post in the first spoiler thread for GOTM3 reveals details about a resource that is not shown in the pre-game discussion. This post can appear within the same screen as the thread-requirements header post without even scrolling down, and given that it is less than an two inches below the header post it would be difficult to scroll-wheel scroll to read the foot of the header post without revealing it anyway. So, any late player that comes to check the requirements for the first thread (to help with his/her story-writing, knowing what details he can mention etc) is instantly likely to have his/her game spoilt. Do you seriously believe that nobody who started their game after 8 Feb and went to check what the first thread spoiler requirements are will submit their game?

:rolleyes:

whb..why go to the movie if you know the ending? Why play the game if you know that resource X will be within your cities limit if you settle in place or move 3 squares to the left.

Whats the fun or challenge in that? Also since the spoiler requirements are usually the same in all games you can prety much know not to look before you have reached them. I personally dont read any of them till after I am well passed that point of even like in GOTM2 submitted my game.

robboo said:
whb..why go to the movie if you know the ending? Why play the game if you know that resource X will be within your cities limit if you settle in place or move 3 squares to the left.

For those in that category, I suspect they might feel that knowing where 1 resource is is not the be all and end all of the game and it is not a "dull foregone conclusion" simply because that information is now known. If it was, nobody would ever play more than however many turns of the game it takes to find the resource.

But it's also interesting to know that you're someone who never sees the movie of a book he's read. You might notice from the box office takings of the Harry Potter movies that not the whole world is like that. (And certainly every viewer of Star Wars Ep 3 knew how it was going to end!)

robboo said:
Whats the fun or challenge in that? Also since the spoiler requirements are usually the same in all games you can prety much know not to look before you have reached them.

Based on a sample set of 2 games prior to this one... and especially at the moment the situation with the spoiler threads is quite fluid. For example, this time we have both spoiler threads opening on the same day.

Top Bottom