GOTM 04 - Pre-Game Discussion

kingjoshi said:
Do you have a comprehensive mod that incorporated autologger without you realizing it? Did you ever make modifications to your files?

If you upload them, I can check it out for you. Or you could reinstall it.

EDIT: I recently downloaded autolog 1.2 and even that has the scoring issue.

Yes, it does have the scoring issue, the creator hasn't updated the scoring part yet, but the Scoring Update Instructions are in that post, I followed it and it seems to work...just be sure you put the code into the right spot. :crazyeye:

Yeah, I fixed that. I also edited it so that instead of always asking for autolog.txt, it asks for LeaderName.Mapsize.Difficulty.date.time.log

That way I can keep logs and games don't overlap in one file and it's easy to find a particular game (no typing necessary).

I also added the clock mod, but I assume in principle, ainwood would find that okay as well. Basically it always displays the time, game year, current turn and max turns. It's helpful to know, okay, it's turn 125 and peace ends in 5 more...

Cool! A normal speed game, I will be able to finish it.
And Emperor too. You know, emperor isn’t very different form deity, same initial happiness and health, if you can win this game you can win deity… I suppose. I have been consistently losing every deity game.

I am not sure what will be my initial steps, lot of spreadsheet work to do before starting. All I know right now is
1.- I won’t get a religion
2.- The Industrious trait will mostly go to waste with me
3.- The first turn I will rush buy a Whip and I will be using it for the rest of the early game ;-)
For my 1AD stats, I am expecting to have killed more of my people than they have survived. Here comes Gandhi the bloodthirsty!!!

kingjoshi said:
I also added the clock mod, but I assume in principle, ainwood would find that okay as well. Basically it always displays the time, game year, current turn and max turns. It's helpful to know, okay, it's turn 125 and peace ends in 5 more...

Where is the clock mod located? I haven't been able to find it.

It's easier for me to just post the changed file. Just put the file in your "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\python\screens" folder.

But that actually has another mod in it I incorporated from someone else. On the bottom right, by the other Leader's names, it's displays their attiude towards you, "Cau" for Cautious, "Ann" for Annoyed, etc.

EDIT: I don't want to take credit for coming up with this mods. I've browsed for mods a lot and there are many people to thank.

Memphus said:
Buildings which you can't see on the inside of Delhi include:
[...]Oracle
Pyramids[...]
Ok Memphus, please explain how you did that. I can get either Pyramids or the CS slingshot, but never both.

- you founded Buddhism, so you researched fishing afterwards, correct?
- what did you research before CS (beside fishing, writing, CoL)?
- when did you build the Pyramids, and with how many chops?
- when and where did you steal workers? did you get attacked, and how did you manage to get peace again with nothing to offer? was there war weariness?
- did you build a worker on your own?
- how many huts, what was inside?

Oh, and how did you get Machinery before 1AD? Great Engineer?

karmina said:
Ok Memphus, please explain how you did that. I can get either Pyramids or the CS slingshot, but never both.

- you founded Buddhism, so you researched fishing afterwards, correct?
- what did you research before CS (beside fishing, writing, CoL)?
- when did you build the Pyramids, and with how many chops?
- when and where did you steal workers? did you get attacked, and how did you manage to get peace again with nothing to offer? was there war weariness?
- did you build a worker on your own?
- how many huts, what was inside?

Oh, and how did you get Machinery before 1AD? Great Engineer?

;) This will be my last post (until actuall spoilers where I will detail it) As I need to begin the game for real :evil:

1.No I reasearched fishing first then Buddism
2.Before CS I reasearched priesthood, Writing, Alphabet
3.I built the pyramids after the Oracle, with 2 chops
4. I stole a worker from hatty, they becoem fast workers and are easy to get back, however after making the mine he sat idle for ~10 turns. There is neevr war weariness early in the game :), I had to give her buddism to get peace back, But it didn't matter because her and I opposed religions so she was sueless for trading anyways
-I built one worker on my own
-I popped 0 huts because I didn't want to rely on them.

Hope this helps :)

No great engineer I just reasearched it(Machinery). I got a Great Scientist ~1440B.C. and then a Great Prophet ~400 B.C. and had one more turn (if you look closely at the screen shoot) until my next GL (it ends up being a GS, which is fine becaue that is a quick border expansion in city #2, whenever that gets built)

I never won any game on monarch, and I only won one game on prince. So I wanted to go for the adventurer level, but then I thought that becuase of military units upkeep my research will get really slow. So I thought of two ideas: the first one is to try it on contender, and the other one (and I believe the better one) is to immediately delete some units in order to keep research high. What do you suggest?

Memphus said:
1.No I reasearched fishing first then Buddism[...]
-I popped 0 huts because I didn't want to rely on them.
Well, then you were damned lucky to found Buddhism. Maybe the worker steal helped...

I've yet to manage alpha->CS slingshot->pyramids. Sounds incredible. I won't open the actual save before achieving that on Ronald's map. At least once... :D

@solvero: Play adventurer. But, for heaven's sake, don't abandon your bonus starting units! I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay any military upkeep for 4 units. Certainly not after founding the 2nd city.

Wow. Well here's what I did in my test game.

I was able to found Hinduism, then fishing, then priesthood.

I popped no huts, and was building warriors.

From priesthood I started bronze working, began building oracle.

Oracle finished about the same time bronzeworking finished. Took Code of Laws.

Researched alphabet, and built workers.

Founded 2nd city...getting hemmed in, but have at least 2 more city sites to go.

Built templts to confucianism and hinduism, confucian first, it spread faster.

stopped around 1 ad

Key Takeaways:

1) The best thing I did was get the CoL slingshot. I do not have a clue how one does a CS slingshot, as I barely got the oracle out in time plus the costs of researching techs. I was able to trade CoL for everything I missed when I got Alphabet, and I got a GP. I got lucky with spreading religion, but since it spread, that allowed me to have 100% research.

2) I didn't panic and overexpand. I gotta imagine that hurts the AI's research rate when they overexpand.

3) If I can pull of the world's biggest religion, diplomatic and cultural victories are really likely.

4) Warriors were enough to stop barbarians and discourage AI aggression. There isn't any reason to beeline to BW because the map is so small.

--I was probably in good shape. Cyrus founded Christianity in city that was beginning to be culturally overrun by my two cities. Time will definitely take care of that city, plus it was easily defensible.

--It's probably best to decide to expand one direction and keep everyone in your back as friends.

Well the slingshots could really change if you happen to find a city site w/ gold nearby to boost commerce.

I'm gonna go the easy route and use the archers as uber explorers. They can get juiced up gur. promotions and hop around and live unlike warriors. I haven't had too much barb problems so far on any test games becaue the map gets saturated with cities by the AI so fast.

My base tech path without finding anything odd West of the start will probably be: fishing -> wheel -> Pots -> Write -> ??? and just skip the religion early because research will be down due to two cities anyways. Maybe I get lucky and pop a good hut.

GLTA

solvero said:
I never won any game on monarch, and I only won one game on prince. So I wanted to go for the adventurer level, but then I thought that becuase of military units upkeep my research will get really slow. So I thought of two ideas: the first one is to try it on contender, and the other one (and I believe the better one) is to immediately delete some units in order to keep research high. What do you suggest?
If you are worried about winning the game, do the adventurer level. If you keep the units within your cultural boundries you will not pay for them, I think you can afford them all without paying anything. I think you can have have 2 units outside your territory before you pay for that. Keep an eye no f2 and you can make sure you are not paying more than you need.

The important thing is what to do with the settler. It MAY be worth not founding the city straight away if you are going for a religion first, but you can work out how much it will cost you. See this thread for details.

With this many units to start with, I would be very tempted to go for bronze working very early and go for an axeman rush. You should have a good head start on the AI.

Ok Adventuers. What do you build first?

Why not stonehenge for 7 turns then swap to a boat then finish the 'henge later?

No reason to build a warrior as you have two archers and a worker for exploring already. And who knows you might not find any stone to make double henge chops worth anything?

I'd like to know what (if anything) would cause someone to settle the second city right away? Anything beyond gold?

I guess an early axe chop rush is probably the play if someone is close by. Odds are the AI won't expect it and you can get at least his lands pillaged an d surrounded for a bit.

This of course assumes bronze. No bronze then well...hope it isn't monty near you.

Rambling rant over.

culdeus said:
Ok Adventuers. What do you build first?
Chances are minimal to hook up any stone for stonehenge in time if you build nothing but 2 workboats before.

2nd city before PolyT probably only makes sense if you either get gold from a hut or settle near gems, silver or gold.

Dunno about an early axe rush, since it most certainly means sacrificing Pyramids & CS slingshot.

But anyway I'm not at all sure if I'll take the Adventurer bonus. I would have loved either sailing, 100 gold or a worker - but all those extra units seem too much to compare the game to contender games afterwards...

ainwood said:
You can try the 'adventurer' version - I haven't completely decided on the bonus yet - but am toying with the idea of a bonus settler.

Secondly, does it really matter if you lose? You can still learn from a loss. :)

By ramping up to Emperor, the fun factor has dropped to about .05 for me.

I was wondering if people playing adventure class will use the settler right away or not? It seems to me that you lose the advantage of getting a early religion, but with the fast worker to start if you don't found a 2nd city quick he is going to be just standing around. Seems to me the purpose of adventure class is to help us 'over our heads' get a fast start and if we don't use the settler, then I am not using the settler or the fast worker at the beginning of the game. Appears I am wasting the advantage I am getting. Also with the worker, is fishing still the best tech. Since after the first mine, the worker is going to be pretty bored.

Just wonder the thoughts of how this bonus changes things.

OK. Any suggestions for playing with the Adventurer class? Would the extra Settler, worker, and the archers make anyone change their starting strategy?

Me? I'm marching with my settler and archers to find a second city site. With luck a nice site will be quickly found. I'll research to get Hinduism, then fishing, preisehood (for the oracle) then bronze working. I'll build warriors and fishing boats with a few turns at Stonehenge. The worker will mine the hill, then might not have much to do until the second city is founded (and it has hills to mine) or until bronze working is researched. Then, I'll do some chopping and hook up bronze (if its present).

It a very badly played test game, I managed to get Hinduism, Stonehenge, the Parthanon, the pyamids and two very quick great people. So, if I pay attention, maybe there is a chance. My biggest concern is the health and happiness upper bound on the cities.

Top Bottom