GOTM 31 Spoiler 2: Start of Industrial Age, Full world map & all contacts

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
This is the second spoiler thread for GOTM 31: France.

To participate in this thread (reading and / or contributing) you must have met the following conditions:

• Have reached the end of the middle ages (be researching an industrial-age tech)
  • Have contacts with all other civilizations or their remains
  • Have the full world map.

As always, feel free to support your posts with some pretty pictures, but please avoid any that show the locations of industrial-age and later resources (eg coal, aluminium etc).

:blush: Wow, I'm the first poster.

OK, it's my second GOTM and at the beginning it looks very bad for me.

I was about 10 techs behind the others and the only way up was fighting.
So this is what i tried. I minimized the Iroquios to 5 citys on my landmass and
tried now to capture London. It looks very good and at the same moment, i couldn't believe it, i got the 10 missing techs from the GL in London. This beams me to the same step of the other AI's. :D
I kicked the Iroquios off of my continent and switched to peace, to rise my culture.
This happend about 1235AD.
But early happiness is not so good.
I forgot to switch my government and i again run behind the others. :(
And then about the year 1900, i don't know why, the :devil2: germans declared war and they fight with weapons i've never sawn bevor. A special horror was the landing of an Tank-Army on my landmass :eek: I couldn't believe that.

After some very nice culture years in which i went from place 6 to the first one, i stand now bevor my second loss. :sad:
But i never give up, i try my best and fight against them. :mad:

PTW, Conquest class (my first GOTM)

Let's see here... so in 330 BC we plunged into anarchy after reaching the Middle Ages. In 250 BC we become a monarchy. I begin building marketplaces to increase cash flow and begin researching engineering.

We meet the Aztecs who are 6 techs behind :p . We sell them some techs and even give them code of laws as a freebie. It's at this point that I really decide on my game goals. I've only tried a diplomatic victory on warlord level, so I'm going to try for it here. My plan is to trade, trade, trade and see how many other civs I can keep good relations with and for how long. And as soon as th UN becomes available I will go for it.

The Iroquois complete the Hanging Gardens, the English complete the Great Wall, and we make contact with Greece around 10 AD. Orleans switches to the Great Library, though I know we'll never finish it in time. I don't know why I'm even trying. All the games I've been playing lately I have been purposely NOT building wonders... trying to get over "wonder addiction". Well, I'm throwing that out the window this game and going for it.

In 30 AD we secure the horses on the SW tip of the island. I notice that some of the other civs have feudalism, engineering and monotheism. No point in me trying to research them now. I realize that I sold the Greeks and the Germans their last techs for reaching the MA's so they got a freebie each and probably traded them around. So I push the science slider down to make some money to buy tech and rush some city improvements.

Then, in 150 AD... Orleans completes the Great Library!!! I can't believe it. So our free techs start rolling in, and we start selling them to the civ's that don't have them yet. We get our first gold per turn deals and luxuries... from here on out, not a turn goes by when we aren't making gold per turn from other civs. The Aztecs are still way behind. I want them to be nice, but I don't want to catch them up completely. They have the most land and are the top spot in the histograph by a good margin. They're broke too, so I give them 100 gold and sell Feudalism to them for it.

I've never had much luck with Republic but I decide to try it. What usually kills me is the lack of unit support, but since we do have some minor unit support with GOTM rules I decide to go for it. I'm also not building much military at all; defensive units mostly, so I should be in good shape.

France becomes a Republic in 270 AD. Paris is pumping out workers like crazy now since we've no more room to expand and need to get all our tiles improved and ready for railroads later. Shaka demands 20 gold. Ok I thought we were friends but whatever. I give it to him and laugh as I'm making 100 per turn. We get Monotheism and Invention from the Library and start selling it around. The Iroquois and the English REALLY like this. I'm pretty sure they haven't made contact with the other civs yet. Actually I don't think they do until navigation or magnetism... so I'm in a good trading position.

Now the Aztecs get uppity. They demand Invention. I would have sold it if they asked nicely. I've been giving them stuff for free even. Not this time. I refuse and they declare war. I remain at war with the Aztecs almost continuously for the rest of the game, but in a diplomatic way only. I have no intention of invading them. Carthage surprises me. They are the richest of all of us, but they go to war with me for just 90 gold. They bring the Germans in as as well.

After getiing gunpowder in 430 AD and chivalry in 450 AD from the Library, I pump research back up to get Theology in 11 turns. We get chemistry from the library and notice the English have researched theology. So some more trades all around and we're making good money and have some nice luxuries coming in. Push science back to 0 for +220 gold per turn and begin work on the Sistine Chapel. I suddenly realize that this is the perfect time for a Golden Age! And what luck! We just happen to be at war. I load a couple musketeers into a galley and send em over to the Aztecs.

We research education in 590 AD and trade it around for lots of gold plus printing press and metallurgy. 620 AD: 2 musketeers land in aztec territory and are attacked by a swordsman. We enter our Golden AGE!
By 630 AD my land is nearly all improved so I join some of the workers to cities. With Navigation coming up in a few turns I decide to sell my communications with the other civ's. Sure enough, the Iroquois and the English never made contact with any of the others. Make peace with the Aztecs for 60 gold.

660 AD: we research astronomy and switch to music theory.
680 AD: Aztecs demand astronomy - we refuse- they declare war. Whatever, Monty. We pay Greece and Carthage for a military alliance against the Aztecs. They seem eager to jump in.

710 AD: Orleans completes the Sistine Chapel! I've been struggling with what to do about the forbidden Palace. My territory is so small I haven't been able to decide where to put it. Usually I try to build it early and jump my palace to an enemy city I've taken. So I begin building in Avignon, on the west coast of our little nation.

The German's complete Bach's Cathedral and Carthage gets the Observatory in 770AD. We research Democracy and trade around for gold, economic, and military tradition. Paris begin's building Smith's Trading Co. and Orleans is pre-building a palace.

Our Golden Age ends in 830 AD. It's timing helped immensely. We research Free Artistry in 850 AD and head towards physics. In 860 the Greeks and the Aztecs sign a peace treaty 4 turns before our alliance was to expire! From this point to the end of the game the other civ's break TONS of treaties with me. Hopefully this will help me in my diplomatic victory plans. In 900 AD Orleans switches to Shakespeare's theater, we research physics, the FP is complete in Avignon, and the Aztecs land 2 knights in our territory. Is that the best you can do Monty?

I think Alexander gave the Aztecs navigation in their peace deal. I make peace with the Aztecs and get navigation from the deal. And this buys me time to rush a couple cavalry to take on these knights.

In 940 AD we get Theory of Gravity. I'm tired of being beaten to the wonders, but I'm going to sell all of these techs around anyway to launch into the industrial age. I botch the job a little. I trade with Carthage last and should have traded with them first. They have magnetism and want a ridicluous amount for it. I decide to research it myself. Only four turns for it. I make some good deals with the others though, except the English. Is Liz always so cheap?! I'm selling TOG to these other guys for gold per turn and Liz just gives me 5 gold and a map. I sell anyway.

970 AD:I tell the Aztec knights to get out. They declare war. My cavalry pounds them. Silly Monty. I make an alliance with every other civ against the Aztecs. I know it's a bit overboard but I do it anyway. Everyone likes me... well except old Monty.

Paris switches to Newton's University which will be done in 1 turn. 6 turns to go on Shakespeare's in Orleans. In 980 AD we reach the Industrial Age. Going for Steam Power in 7 turns. Several cities pumping out workers now to get ready for railroads. And soon after... a major disappointment. But that's a tale for another spoiler. :confused:

Attachments

• gotm31map.jpg
    gotm31map.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 788
Ancient Age

While the AA was my expansion phase, the early MA was the war phase to secure the home continent and the small island in the north. I entered the MA past 510BC and this turn I declared war on England. As you can see in the screenshot below Hastings was the first target.
After capturing this my troops went to the former 1 pop city of Warwick east of Hastings, as the Iroquois joined a military alliance against me. So captured Oil springs and destroyed Warwick. No Mounted warriors at this time. Why can't the Iroqois connect their horses?

In the IBT the Iroquois completed the Great Lighthouse in Grand River :) England switched the production in Nottingham to Great Wall and got it. Not so nice. I decided to restructure my troops at this time and to make peace for 20 turns. Feudalism was my first science priority in thr MA and I upgraded my Swords except the elites to MI, built a few more MI and attacked as soon as the 20 turn peace deal timed out. Also one turn later the Iroquois declared war to England and captured Nottingham with the Great Wall. They also captured London with Great Library. All other English cities became French and England was history.

Now I had to regroup my troops. Targets for the initial strike on the Iroquois were Nottingham, London and Kanawake. I attacked Nottingham first of course and all went fine. I reduced the Iroquois to one city, Allegheny, in the north of the home continent and to 4 minor cities on the northern island when I gave peace, where I got Republic, some gold and 2 colonies overseas. The new contacts and the GL in London brought me Monarchy, the only tech I got from GL.

In the meanwhile i positioned my elite troops for the final strike on Iro. I researched until Gun powder to build 5 or 6 musketeers, that should trigger my GA. I also founded New Paris which should be the place of the FP. After 20 turns I attacked again and triggered my GA. Perfectly timed as Education came in soon and I used the GA to build universities and cathedrals. I also managed to build Sistine during the GA.

An elite MI produced Napoleon, who was used to rush the FP in New Paris. The last fight with the Iroquois brought Richilieu. I rushed Bachs with him. The Iros were reduced to 3 small oversea cities now and I gave peace for a further colony.

Then I builded up infrastructure. I got all MA wonders (exceptions are Leonardos, Shakespeares, Sun Tsus). Lyon near the Gold hill became the science city where I have built Copernicus, Newtons and later Seti. Another possible choice would be Salamanca since it has the Colossus, but I wanted the FP in New Paris, because I needed more very high production cities for my space race. Therefore Lyon was a better place for the science city due to the corruption in Salamanca.

I entered the IA in 1100AD ahead of all others.

[ptw]1.27f Open

So... I conquered my own continent in the Ancient age, but couldn't get across to anyone else befor astronomy at least. This is not good. IIRC it took 7 suicide galleys to eventually get over the water to meet the Zulu who had already destroyed Carthage. From there I found a jump off point that would allow me across with the Lighthouse. So With astronomy 35 turns away and the great lighthouse buildabel in 25 turns I had little choice.

I researched to Navigation, and then to Military tradition. I then researched banking and Economics at a leisurely pace for Smiths Trading company. From then on I switched off science.

I took over the Zulu lands with knights. I then tried to take on the Greeks and Germans simultaneously, but it didn't work out. A bit of a cock up on the boat front. :blush:

Once I had my boats sorted it was a fairly straightforward conquest. Athens was tough as it had Leos, and Greece defended it quite beautifully for the AI.

The only problem I had was when the last greek city fell. The Greeks were still alive. I built around 60 caravels and scoured the seas until eventually I found a Greek galley and sunk it. The Greeks still refused to die. Eventually I managed to find them on the two tile island. This is shown in the screenshot, and worried me for a while. I was at war with the Greeks and the Aztechs at the time, and the Greeks would not see my envoy. Therefore I couldn't take the city in a peace deal as it would be undefended and taken by the greeks. I would then have to wait for amphibious b4 I could achieve conquest, and that was not an option.

In the end I just delahed conquest 2 turns and diverted some cavalry and boats to the island, took the town in a peace deal and immediately filled it with cavalry, destroying the settler and entourage on the same turn.

Believe it or not I was still 30 tiles from domination on the last turn. I didn't put temples in captured cities, but I should have built two or three more to maximise score. I didn't sell the libraries and unis either, despite not researching. This is because I wanted some culture to reduce culture flips, but mainly it was because I am lazy. :)

Truly wonderful map. :thumbsup:

My Progress.

Conquest victory in 940AD with A Firaxian score of 8567.
I guess the Jason score would be considered a spoiler this early in the month...

[ptw]1.27

I'm including a brief summary of the ancient age here because it would be too short to be of any interest by itself. This clumsy solution surely puts me out of the running for the new write-up award. :cry:

QSC

12 towns + 1 spicy settler
11 workers + 1 foreign worker
22 warriors (17 vets)
1 granary
1 barracks
1 temple
FP due in ~17 t
GLight due in 11 t (later changed to Hanging Gardens, a true outsider but not worthless as my towns started to grow)
417 gold
Currency due in 7 t.
Missing HB, Currency, Constr, Phil, CoL, the optionals.

End of ancient age

Trade Constr. (England) for Polyth. Now basically set to attack England, having brokered the last tech deal with them.
650 BC - Met Zulu.
590 BC - Met Carthage. Trade Phil, CoL. Enter MA. I lucked out here I suppose. Starting with Pottery might have been a mistake but on the other hand I could trade Phil. and CoL. now, which I might otherwise have had to research myself.

Last contact was Greece probably around 550 BC or so.

Middle Ages

Researching Monarchy (and building Hanging Gardens) gave me the opportunity to trade Engineering from Greece after gifting them into the new age. I then did the same with the Germans and got Feudalism. I was a little surprised that the Germans agreed to take Engineering + Monarchy for Feudalism, since Feudalism is one of the techs the AI seems to value most (although not nearly as much as Nationalism).

I went into anarchy during the interturn. I chose monarchy after 6 turns, although I could probably have gotten a hold of The Republic from Greece. I'm not sure that this was a mistake. Firstly, I had fairly long wars with England and Iroquies, and happiness was scarce in these the dark ages. Secondly, I relied rather heavily on trading techs, so the slightly slower research might not have meant so much. Thirdly, it would have been very expensive to buy The Republic from Greece and I might have lost my research momentum if I had done so. However, I lost another 4 turns to anarchy when I eventually switched to republic.

I entered the industrial age in 540 AD. That was early by my standards. The key was probably agressive gifting of techs, simply not worrying about letting all the AI civs catch up. IIRC, the techs demand more beakers (take longer to research) if several civs are lagging behind in their technology. I left the popular Astronomy and Banking techs for the AI to research, while I cruised down to Metallurgy. Then I followed the Physics path while the best AI were busy with Democracy. Luckily, Germany were not among the strongest civs, so I managed to get Democracy before them in order to gift them into the Industrial Age with an edge.

Military
I really had a minimum of military, even when I showed England and Iroques the way out of the continent. I only faced spearmen. One problem was that I had to make peace with the Iroquios and wait 20 turns. During these 20 turns I could not let the Iroquios keep up in tech, even though I wanted all civs to have tech parity with me. By the end of the middle ages I was getting ready to wipe out their five remaining towns in one fell swoop. It promises to be easy because their capital is so far away from their other four towns. They will have the odd pikeman in the capital, then spearmen.

To sum up: when I switched to republic I got a unit support of 80 while the number of units was just above 40! :eek: right after the first war with the Iroquios. I lost two former English cities to naval "invasions" (usually 1 archer in galley) but regained them quickly. It did hurt a little, though, when London was taken just before it was ready to rush a courthouse.

Forbidden Palace

I built an early FP in Rheims just 3.5 tiles north of Paris. Eventually I got a leader and rushed Palace in Salamanca. I was really relieved to get this leader in the final stages of the Iroqui war, because otherwise I would have had to pump up a town with native workers and then abandon the prosperous Paris, which at this time was size 10 or 11.

So instead Rheims kept a nice ring of cities with Paris still doing well.

Miscellaneous

They're broke too, so I give them 100 gold and sell Feudalism to them for it.
Peglegasus, why didn't you just give them Feudalism? I thought you aimed for a diplomatic victory, and "good gifts" make the AI like you a lot. It won't matter in this case though, since this effect wears off in 20 turns, IIRC.

I'm still curious about Karasu's start. Did you really find another use for the swordsmen even in the ancient age? I'd have thought that disbanding them and building something else was the only way to do it. But I guess Salamanca built the Great Lighthouse in your game too, and you captured it one eon before me...?

Predator or Open? I'd say Predator is an advantage for me this time. England and Iroquios were too weak to put up a fight anyway, and their early research was useful.

Industrious is a wonderful trait. I can almost hear the workers singing and whistling with pleasure
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...
Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's Home From Work We Go...
Well, long time ago, came a man on the tracks, walking 30 miles with a sack on his back...

As for Commercial, I'm repressing it because it makes my progress look a little better than it really is. ;)

Wow - I had an enjoyable GOTM for a change, and 3 GL's!

I got a diplo victory at 1754AD with only Shaka voting against me. I played conquest, though I could have probably done open.

I waged early wars for my continent then settled in to build and trade my way to victory.

I did the land-grab, and when I though I would have to kick Liz off my iron by myself Hiawa asked for a MA. My action was limited to capturing a worker. I completed my land grab while fending off my allies' settlers. This got me about 1/2 the continent.

I got the GrLib and got several freebies after my suicide galley catches sight of Hannibal's galley. Meanwhile I have several horsemen upgrading to knights for the first expansion. I attack the remaining English towns while keeping Hiawa happy with wines. Napoleon appears and is saved for the FP.

Once Liz is banished I consolidate the gains and prepare for the next expansion. Soon I have enough knights to take out Hiawa's saltpeter on the first salvo. I proceed to move town by town with moderate resistance. I fended off mouties without allowing a victory - I suspect Hiawa never got a GA. I build the FP in the 2cnd town and then go slowly to try for another GL, who appears after attacking the 5th town. Unfortunately, Hannibal decides to get into the action and takes the Northern town. I resist the impulse to kick them out, since there is nothing worth fighting for there. It provides some amusement as later intra-AI wars rage.

The second GL steals Suffrage from the many builders. I get a 3rd GL when Monty attacks me with 2 measly cav sent to attack the northern town. One survives for counter-attack and DeGaulle emerges!

I never had to use the 3rd Leader, as I pre-built for the UN and already had factory+Hoovers (built ToE).

An enjoyable game - and suprisingly easy, due to the generous start and res/lux settings.

Headline:
High Desert Goes to Sleep During Middle Ages for Second Straight Month

We entered MA in 610BC playing for a Histo win...

Strategy. Overall startegy for a Milk Run appears to be:
1. Conquer the world and take the best parts up to the Domination limit.
2. Research up to the Mass Transit Tech. I got smitten somewhere along the way with the idea of doing a Future Tech. I hadn't done any before and wanted to see what happened.
3. Acquire all luxuries.
4. Build only Aqueduct (as needed), Marketplace, Hospital and Mass Transit in cities outside the core.

Exploring. For no good reason (I think I was already going to sleep), I didn't send any galleys out exploring/suiciding. Around 450BC on a lark I sent ONE galley to the west from the southern part of the continent. This intrepid one survived two turns at sea(ocean) to spot a border. Met Zulu in 390BC and everyone else by 8 turns later.

Wars. Declared on England in 490BC with an 18 sword army. They were gone in 7 turns. Didn't jot down when we got after the Irqs but we had the continent cleared and one of their North Island towns at 10AD. Good luck with Leaders. First one came in 270BC just in time to set up a FP in the middle of Irq territory. The second came from an Elite Warrior who I sent after fortified spear just hoping for a couple of hits. This would lead to the below mentioned BOTM(Blunder of the month).

I had a save from 570AD. At 570AD I was just getting around to clearing out the Irqs from North Islan and was starting to assemble a Cavalry army to go after the Zulu. I apparently went to sleep during this period. When replaying from 10AD to try out a Diplo win, I immediately went for the Irqs and took the swords over to Zululand. This Middle Ages going to sleep thing is high on my list to fix. Anyway, by the end of MA the Zulus were almost history and the Carthages were looking tasty.

Research. Republic and Monotheism took 32 turns to complete (30AD). Then Anarchy for 7 turns (ugh!). The rest of the Middle Age techs then went in 4-turns each after switching to Republic. I went the bottom military route first to MT. The second core was kicking in at this point.

Blunder of the Month. OK...can you top, er, go under this one!

30AD. We have a Great Leader to build something. And it's beyond time to get the Republic of France going. So...we revolt. And get our usual 7 turn Anarchy...ugh. Then we decide to rush Hanging Gardens so the French will be happy folks and add to the Milk Run....

And what do we get...a Golden Age! We had built the Great Lighthouse covering the Commercial side of GA. And the HG triggers for Industrious. Bottom line...we get a 13 turn Golden Age instead of 20 with a second core missing about 4 towns and only about 30% developed. Double UGH! A mis-timed, 13 turn Golden Age. Anybody beat this!!??

Industrial Age. After finally waking up around 500AD (this is an unfortunately recurring theme), we are mopping up the Zulu and have the conquest phase of our plan well under way. The research is fairly reasonable; the AI is falling far behind.

We enter IA in 810AD with an OK game but a growing list of things to learn...

Blunder of the Month contestant

This one is not so serious but more clumsy than yours ---

Iroquios lands an archer near London. I have no troops nearby, so London falls. It holds the Great Wall. Then I move a couple of Medieval infantrys inside its 9-turn radius.

At the same time I move two knights up to a particularly troublesome Iroquios town, home of Mr Superspearman the Glorious.

Next turn which town do I attack first? You know it: the two knights crack their skulls open against the walls of Superspearmanville.

How about this one then:

I've captured Salamanca complete with Great Lighthouse. So now my galleys full of knights can jump from continent to continent and start mergers and aquisitions negotiations with the Zulus. So I have three galleys, two loaded up with knights, in sea tiles ready for the hop.

Salamanca flips taking several healing knights with it, I lose the Lighthouse, the galleys lose bouyancy, and another four knights and three galleys go to a watery grave :eek:

... or this one:

I attack Athens with a stack of cavalry. Pop 12 city, rifles in defence, but on grassland so we should be able to do it. Well, only AFTER i've lost four cavalry, redlined another four and made a few small dents in the rifles do I check the map and discover I've been attacking across a river :smoke: :cry:

I must not play at 03:00 am
I must not play at 03:00 am ...

@Megalou
Yes, he said with a knowing smile. I know of that which you speak. In the case I'm thinking of the town was lost to a flip. Which leads me to...

@AlanH
Losing the Lighthouse to a flip. This same thing happened to me in GOTM26. Lost 5 (count 'em) galleys in one turn. I was too new to the game to recognize this for what it is...an unacceptable level of cheating on the part of the game. At the risk of going OT, I have decided I will abandon any game in which the AI swoops in and takes too much in a flip. Based upon my experience, I simply do not believe that it is random.

And the 3:00 deal...I've set 1:00AM as my limit. Of course, maybe I'll stick to that rule Real Soon Now!!

HighDesert said:
I simply do not believe that it is random
I think it's exactly that random. When you are trying to take full advantage of an advance like the Lighthouse in that situation you are running risks.
I accepted it, wept silently for a while, then recaptured it two turns later (Salamanca's darned culture border was ENORMOUS) and carried on.
I've set 1:00AM as my limit. Of course, maybe I'll stick to that rule Real Soon Now!!
... :lol: ... immediately after the next turn, right? ... :rotfl:

ptw1.27 predator

Conquest win 900ad. That means I took the last city in 900 so perhaps it's really a 910 win.

Like many people I took over the home continent pretty easily, including the iroquois lighthouse. The lighthouse did flip against me once resulting in a few sinking galleys which was annoying. I rarely station troops in enemy cities as this makes flips more painful.

There is of course a way across to the second continent stopping on a sea square and I used this in my conquest, largely with galleys. Happiness was a problem as I couldn't import any luxuries across the ocean until near the end.

I thought I was going to steam ahead to a quick finish but got bogged down later on. More science would have helped. I did the whole conquest with knights whish were pretty slow, especially v muskets. In addition some of the AI had loads of med inf. If I had cavalry it would have been much quicker. Mad bax's conquest was much quicker than mine once he got started.

Eventually I was caught in two minds about domination or conquest. I was pretty close to domination in 800ad and deciding I wanted conquest instead razed a greek town on the first move against the final island. I then immediately changed my mind a captured a few more towns on that go putting me 7 tile over domination. I sat back thinking that was that only to have a Greek town flip and leave me 2 tiles short of domination. I then decided to go for conquest after all which took another 10 turns. The carthaginians had the little island in my game and the Germans hid away in a galley moored offshore from that island.

I had crumby luck with leaders, but eventually got one to place my capital in the iroquois lands. I probably would have perferred it in Germany but worried that this would be frowned on. Near the end I got another one for Magelln. Then right at the end I got 2 leaders which I used for armies, neither of which managed to reach the enemy before it was all over.

3 turns. :cry:

Looks like huntinting the Greek settler hurt more than I thought. :(

I'm definitely going to start building the Lighthouse for ainwood maps from now on. If I had started th conquest 25 turns earlier it might have been a different story.

Well done Offa :goodjob: <mutter, mutter, grumble...> :)

Offa said:
Conquest win 900ad
Amazing dates :eek:.
That means I took the last city in 900 so perhaps it's really a 910 win.
The new submissions system looks at your file and tells you how and when you won or lost and gives you your Jason score there and then. It probably was 910 AD in your case.
There is of course a way across to the second continent stopping on a sea square and I used this in my conquest, largely with galleys.
:hmm: I never used that tile. I hopped across at the two narrowest points east and west. It was seven ocean tiles in each case, sea to sea.

Moderator Action: biny066 spoiler post - moved from FAQ My answers in color.

1. After I installed and play the game, the Azteq leaderhead becomes Iroq leaderheads. But when I double click the head to make deals, it returns to Aztecs leaderhead (as what it supposed to). Any clue?

It sounds as though you have a bad pediaIcons.txt. I suggest you download the latest version:

For PtW use this file

FOr Civ3 1.29 use this one

2. I ussually win by culture (couple turns after UN) on emperor level, but somehow from beginning of the game until now (research satellite) my culture is not 50% of total yet, does gotm make special thing for AI's culture? or every gotm has different set for AI?

I don't think there are any changes to the game's culture rules. I found that the Iroquois and the Greeks built culture very fast. Perhaps ainwood changed their priorities?

3. I dont see any cow! and I got more luxs than what I supposed to (extra : wool), is that necessary?

If you have Civ3 1.29 do you have the correct resources.pcx and resourceshadows.pcs files installed? They are in a folder in \art\resoruces storage\gotm 21 xxxx\.

3. Can I go to GOTM 31 spoil thread by now? I havent finished yet, but I will win the hardest one so far (space ship!) since 3 civs left Germany/Aztec/Iroq was 10 techs behind.

Yes! The rules for each spoiler are in the first post in the spoiler.

Usually, when you were researching a Middle Age tech you could visit Spoiler 1.

When you were researching an Industrial Age tech you could visit this spoiler.

CivIII 1.29f. Open Class

Gee u guys remember almost everything. Here is my first gotm play.
In ancient England just declared war (probably because I placed my city so close to her to capture a lux there). Surviving with England war, got 3 techs free for peace, and I managed to cross the city from right to left so that Iroq wont be able to cross it down south where there was a lux. Iroq got many wonders (great light house, collosus), but I manage to get GreatLib (the only ancient wonder) but England even with 4 cities was the most advanced. Once we made peace, the next turn England got code of laws :confused:
England declared war with Iroq (who was polite to me). I joined the alliance with England in Exchange with Code of Laws. I eliminated Iroq from the island, and I got all Iroq wonders :lol: and for peace he gave me all contacts. From great lib, I got around 3 techs.
England who hated me, declared war again, and this time she invited Zulu on other continent, and had the highest culture. I eliminate the only England City on the island (she got 2 cities shareable north of it with Iroq and I got my GA), then I monopoly luxes which I used to ally all other Civs against England and Zulu :lol: It was a long war, Greek finally eliminated England, but Zulu was strong. As usual AI sent only a knight to my island while I didnt sent anything. When the right time, I sent 3 caravans loaded with cavs and musketeers. Goal, a lux on Zulu island. I got the lux and little by little (thx for extra movements for ships) I dumb a lot of cavs. Soon Zulu been destroyed with Germany, Me, Greek and Aztec. I ussually win by culture on Emperor. 2nd Largest was Greek. I declare war with Greek, and as usuall all remaining AI including Iroq allied with Me. I had to save Greek last city for the voting. Even all gracious, Iroq was polite, Iroq was vore for Aztec :mad: , so no one win. Here only 2 choices I have left, win by culture (trying to eliminate Aztec) or win by space ships. I declared war with Aztec and allied with Germany and Iroq. The war was still on until now. Luckily I was far ahead in tech. I used MAs and Aztec used tanks :D
Edit : It was 1.29f CivIII. I knew there were 3 classes, and I picked up the middle (trying to figure what the name is). May be 2nd edit :D

Attachments

• SaveCommonEnemy.GIF
    SaveCommonEnemy.GIF
    481.9 KB · Views: 687
Please put your software version and player Class (Conquest/Open/Predator) at the top of each spoiler post. Some players hide signatures, so it is not sufficient to put this information there.

You can find software version icons in the smilies list - click [More]

mad-bax said:
3 turns. :cry:

Looks like huntinting the Greek settler hurt more than I thought. :(

I'm definitely going to start building the Lighthouse for ainwood maps from now on. If I had started th conquest 25 turns earlier it might have been a different story.

Well done Offa :goodjob: <mutter, mutter, grumble...> :)
@mad bax : u got domini very fast! I need to learn from u how to do it! U are still teaching GK2 right :lol:

Top Bottom