GOTM 84 Spoiler

Peaster

Emperor
"Haftaab" (Seven Rivers) Emperor 1S, Persian, Rov.B, ON, no
tech/scen. AI gets hbr/walls,2S.

I played for EC, as I often do (I wonder how the landing players will get their beakers on this map?? mainly SSC?). I didn't feel like playing for a high score. Anyway, it is a little awkward to finish a conquest with restarts on, especially under a republic.

The start seemed perfect for the size-1 trick, but I thought a looong time, maybe an hour, about how to do it. Can it pump out TWO settlers ? etc... Finally, I chose a fairly conventional approach. I moved onto the buffalo/river tile, and founded. My first unit was a warrior (not my usual settler). I wanted to start popping huts ASAP. I considered a beeline to seafaring (explorers pop fast) but finally went for the usual monarchy.

I was not too excited about this GOTM at first; restarts on, city walls, slow economy, a huge land mass that makes boats pretty useless, no exploring. But this map does pose interesting transportation problems, which are at the heart of all EC games. There are several reasonable ways to get to the AI:

* by river, but these are not ideally placed
* by the pole
* by roads (and maybe boats across the "X"s)
* indirectly, from good hut results.

I was a little lucky, to get several horsemen and AT's from my first huts, so I relied mainly on the hut method to get to the AI, and to grow my civ and get income. One minor drawback is that you have no control over your civ's science; I was fairly slow getting to monarchy and trade. So, I had approx 20 cities before I could build HG.

3950BC: Persepolis (1)
3700BC: hut = horse
3650BC: hut = horse again (?)
3600BC: hut 25g, and I can RB my size-1 settler.
3500BC: alp->cb, hut = 50, hut = pottery (my only "bad" early hut)
3400BC: hut = AT, Pasarg (2); [I'll omit lesser hut results]
3350BC: Susa (3)
3250BC: hut = AT, Arbela (4). Good start!
3100BC: contact with Spanish; useful for tech after monarchy.
3050BC: cb->c.laws
2650BC: c.laws->monarchy; 8 cities
2450BC: contact with Mongols, 12 cities, first riots.
2250BC: Monarchy, lost a hut-ele to barbs
2150BC: hut = seaf; now the hut-popping rate increases.

2000BC Stats: 17 cities, no WoWs (still researching trade), peace with 3 AIs, approx 13 units.

Plan: I NEED trade, for vans, for HG! The other problem is how to get forces into the Roman/Zulu lands quickly. I plan to send several explorers that direction, and hope for a few AT's or nomads. I also sent some settlers over land, just south of the danger zone, in case the explorers failed (but they did OK).

1650BC: HG! relieves mass rioting. I'm getting AI maps and tech without MPE.
So, no other WoW seems very urgent, but my home cities will slowly build vans for them anyway.
1300BC: Phil and Mono from a hut. Now, we don't need no education. Which is good; huts have totally tech-bombed my civ, so without them, I'm getting an advance like every 50 turns.
1000BC: Pyr, and hut=Feud (not so good for RBing, but now I can build STWA)

1000BC: 35 cities, monarchy. I'm planning to attack the Vikings and Mongols ASAP. That should help me get to the distant Romans/Zulu. The nearby Greeks and Spanish can wait. Probably, the attack order isn't too important with restarts on. I usually want 1-2 quick kills to find out where the restart zone(s) will be. On this map that's fairly predictable - the empty South!

875BC: 2 dips take down the Viking walls, and Trondheim quickly falls. A similar tale occurs at Madrid next turn. The Spanish weren't on my early hit list, but they declared war, and I had the required units nearby. I've been getting gold from tribute, but my economy is pretty weak, and I can only afford approx one bribe per turn. So, my crusaders work to reduce the AI cities to size one, for cheaper bribes. Of course, this slows down the conquest a bit.

725BC: MPE (needed now to find respawns). Vikings down, but respawn as Germans. Mongols finally want war.
700BC: Spanish respawn as Aztecs, on the southern tip.
675BC: Mongols respawn as Indians. 3 civs down in 3 turns! But it'll take a while to get to the Romans, and the Aztecs. I had to kill off 19 AI civs in this game, but almost all the respawns occurred in the western half of the southern zone (I had a few towns in the eastern part). I RB'd crusaders in the nearest Persian towns to try to blanket that zone with units (NOT cities!). I won't report all those little kills.
475BC: Zulu walls down.
450BC: Mike's. Zulus respawn as Babs.
400BC to 325BC: Approx 8 civs destroyed (often just a new settler in the kill-zone) including the original Greeks and Romans. STWA.
xxxBC: Persians learn Bridge Building after trying for about 40 turns, with science at 30. Minor problems with hut-barbs; 8 are in the way of getting to the Aztecs, but I have sent a few ships south as back-up, and they arrive in time to help 2-3 crusaders get to the target.
xxxBC: Aztecs respawn as Spanish, but all respawns were wiped out this same turn. END.

At the end, I had 85 cities (mostly size 2 and 3, unhappy), but not a huge score. Had about 50 crusaders, and 50 other units. Lost about 20. I'm still not quite sure of the best conquest routes, but I took advantage of the north pole to move my units from the Vikings to the Zulus to the Romans. I used the rivers mainly for exploring and growth, sometimes for troops.

A game after my own heart! 17 cities by 2000BC! Now that's a focused Civ.

The crux point it EC games is when to stop building and start sending out conquerors. I love the elegance with which you time that. Could you discuss your criteria for that? For instance, I would have thought that after Mono in 1300 Crooks would be manufactured ASAP.

Always good to hear from you, Grigor!

Well, this is an unusual map because our single continent is quite large, without any inlets for ship access to the interior. And restarts are on. Before you can conquer this map, you need to control LOTS of land, either by broad settling or by many scattered crux. I figured that would take longer than actually defeating most of the original enemies. So, I focused on exploration and "map control" (including some longish east-west roads), a bit longer than normal.

Ali told us that every capital would have walls (and maybe on a river). So, I decided to start each conquest with approx 3 dips, to take the walls down, and I made those units first. I wasn't sure VET crux would be needed, and in hindsight, maybe they weren't. But I built one barracks for each of the 4 distant civs. Two reasons: A) I wasn't sure my 3 dips would succeed against the walls (but IIRC I only needed about 2 per wall); B) Rookie crux usually win against respawns/etc, but they often get wounded, and can't be re-used quickly.

In 1200BC, my targets were the Mongols and Vikings (the mid-distance civs). My closest city to Trondhiem was 14 tiles away (by land; no real help from rivers/roads/etc). The Mongolian capital wasn't even visible yet, and was a similar distance from my best outpost - which came from a hut, of course. The southern zone was roughly 50% explored. Crusaders built in my homeland could not reach any prime targets in any reasonable time frame. So, at that point, my production priorities were shifting from explorers/settlers, to diplomats, to barracks/crusaders, RBing mainly at outposts. My 1200BC F2 screen shows:

Settlers = 8, at 9 more (I probably reduced this later on)
Ele/Crux = 1, at 4 more.
Triremes = 0 + 1
Dips = 2 + 10
Vans = 2 + 4 (for WoWs only; almost no IRBing)
Exp = 3 + 1
Misc = 12 + 0 (mostly units from huts)
[and Barracks = 4 + 1]

IIRC, my economy was pretty weak, and couldn't support IRBing at more than about 5 barracks. I gradually accepted the idea of mixing in rookie crux, and eventually made about 50 crux total. I admit to making more cities than needed [and early Pyramids], but I didn't waste many resources on them, and most of them contributed a van to a WoW at least. But my plan vs respawns worked pretty well, with only one surprise location (fortunately not on the southern pole; I was not well-prepared for that).

I don't have any huge regrets, but wouldn't be surprised if someone finds a better plan. For example, I wonder if using the northern pole and/or the lakes and/or a few roads, might be faster than exploring along the rivers. Also, some decent plan to raise more cash would be great (maybe sending trade vans up/down the longest rivers???).

And Grigor - Please - Go out an buy an old PC!

As always, amazing result Peaster. I cannot believe you had 17 cities by -2000 and that you finished in BC years.

By contrast, I had only 4 cities in -2000, one of which was founded by an advanced tribe. My hut luck prior to -2000 was mediocre at best. After that though I got an unbelievable number of advanced tribes (10) and ended up with 21 cities in -1000.

Strategy thoughts: Build a city right away. There are plenty of huts and plenty of agility because of the rivers which should be taken advantage of. Due to lack of grass near by, it is going to be 20 turns before size 2. Build a warrior and then a size 1 settler. Tech path: the usual, Monarchy followed by Trade.
Date Notes
-4000 Persepolis founded. Warrior started. T4L0S6
-3950 -> Alphabet
-3700 Empty hut.
-3500 Alphabet -> Code of Laws. 50g from hut.
-3150 First settler produced. Another empty hut.
-3050 Pasargadae founded on rivered grassland.
-2950 Advanced tribe founds Susa on rivered grassland.
-2900 Code of Laws -> Ceremonial Burial.
-2700 Chariot from hut.
-2650 50g from hut.
-2550 Ceremonial Burial -> Monarchy. Arbela founded.
-2500 Legion from hut. Horseback riding from hut.
-2400 Mapmaking from hut.
-2300 Masonry from hut.
-2250 2x50g from hut.
-2150 None horseman from hut. Math from hut.
-2100 Barbarian horse from hut killed by my horseman. Monarchy from hut. Revolution started.
-2050 Monarchy established. T3L0S7. Warrior Code from hut. 50g from hut. None settler from hut.
-2000 -> Bronze Working

Status at -2000
Population: 0.06M; Cities: 4; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 243 Cost per turn: 0; Total advances: 9; Production: 13MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders:
Units: 2 Settlers (1 None), 1 Warrior, 1 Legion, 3 Horsemen (1 None), 1 Chariot.
Roman: No contact
Zulu: No contact
Viking: No contact
Spanish: No contact
Greek: No contact
Mongol: No contact

-1950 Wheel from hut. Advanced tribe founds Antioch near desert. Barbarian horseman from hut. Empty hut.
-1900 Warrior Code -> Greek (2) -> Bronze Working, peace. Barbarian horseman kills my warrior. -> Currecny. My power is Mighty. Monarchy -> Roman (6) -> Writing. They have an advanced tribe city 3 tiles away from my Antioch. None Horseman from hut.
-1850 50g from hut. Advanced tribes found Tarsus and Gordium.
-1800 Bactra founded. None settler from hut.
-1750 Legion from hut. Empty hut. Currency from hut. Sidon founded.
-1700 -> Trade. 50g from hut.
-1650 50g from hut. Feudalism from hut. Legion from hut.
-1600 Advanced tribe founds Tyre. Currency, Math -> Roman (6) -> Cordial, but they refuse map exchange. They probably lack mapmaking but are not asking for it. Math -> Greek. They too refuse map exchange. Advanced tribe founds Sardis.
-1550 Mapmaking, Warrior Code -> Spanish (1) -> Mysticism, peace, map exchange. The Spanish have only two cities! Legion from hut. 50g from hut. Samaria founded.
-1500 Advanced tribe founds Hamadan. 50g+25g from hut.
-1450 Iron Working from hut.
-1400 Trade from hut. Chariot from hut. Advanced tribes found Ergili and Dariush Kabir. 50g from hut.
-1350 -> Literacy. Ghulaman founded. 50g from hut. Horseman from hut.
-1300 Barbarian Archer lands near Bactra; production switched to catapult. Astronomy from hut.
-1250 Catapult kills barbarian archer and leader. Advanced tribe founds Zohak. Pottery from hut.
-1150 Mapmaking -> Zulu -> peace, map exchange. They have 3 cities. Advanced tribe founds Istakhr. Chivalry from hut. 5 barbarian horsemen from hut. Mapmaking, Trade -> Viking (4) -> peace, refused map exchange despite being Enthusiastic.
-1100 Barbarians kill my horseman. Mapmaking, Iron Working -> Mongol (0) -> peace, map exchange, 150g tribute. They have 1 city. Trade -> Roman (5) -> map exchange. They have 7 cities. Zulu ignore me. Monarchy -> Viking (4) -> no maps, no tribute. Spanish (1) -> 50g. Greeks ignore me.

Ali: Thanks for your comments. I got most of those cities from huts, of course. With two horsemen + this map, one can pop pretty fast, and I had pretty good luck for a long time.

Are you playing for conquest or landing ? Was your city was making 3 shields per turn at the start? Could you have used the 50g from 3500BC to RB your 1st settler earlier, maybe around 3400BC ?

Are you playing for conquest or landing ?
I have not decided yet. I would love to play landing as usual, but given how late I started this game I may not have a chance to finish that way.
Was your city was making 3 shields per turn at the start? Could you have used the 50g from 3500BC to RB your 1st settler earlier, maybe around 3400BC ?
Good point. I could. Since I had no techs to rush buy part of the way I did not even think about it.

-1050 Legion from hut. Advanced tribe founds Jinjan.
-1000 Turned down Mongol offer of 50 to ally with them against Romans. Borazjan founded. Advanced tirbe founds Herat.

Status at -1000
Population: 0.31M; Cities: 21; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 128 Cost per turn: 0; Total advances: 20; Production: 52MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders:
Units: 11 Settlers (2 None), 5 Legions, 5 Pikemen, 5 Horsemen (1 None), 2 Chariots, 1 Catapult, 1 Diplomat, 2 Caravans
Roman: No embassy
Zulu: No embassy
Viking: No embassy
Spanish: No embassy
Greek: No embassy
Mongol: No embassy

-0975 dakyanus and Bampur founded. Wheel, Math -> Mongol (0). Ceremonial Burial -> Zulu (2). Romans (5), Vikings (4) and Greeks (3) ignore me. Spanish (1) -> 25g.
-0950 None Knight from hut. Advanced tribe founds Tureng Tepe. Polytheism from hut.
-0925 Legion on mountation survives barbarian horseman.
-0900 Merv founded. 25g from hut. Advanced tribe founds Behistun.
-0875 Legion kills barbarian horseman.
-0850 2x50g from hut. 5 barbarian horsemen from north pole hut. Seafaring from hut.
-0825 Barbarians kill my chariot.
-0800 25g from hut. Knight from hut. Kandahar founded.
-0775 Altin Tepe founded. Mysticism -> Mongol (0) -> 0g. Iron Working -> Spanish (1) -> 50g. Iron Working -> Roman (5) -> Literacy, 100g. Polytheism -> Zulu (3) -> Construction. Literacy, Seafaring -> Viking (4) -> 125g. Iron Working -> Greek (2) -> 150g.
-0750 -> Philosophy. None Archer from hut. Advanced tribe founds Bunyan. Charsadda founded.
-0725 Engineering from hut.
-0700 Ura Tyube founded. None Knight from hut. Legion from hut.
-0675 Naples founded.
-0650 Issus founded. Construction -> Mongol (0). Roman (5) -> 125g. Mysticism -> Zulu -> 250g. Construction -> Viking (4). Construction -> Spanish (1) -> 0g. Construction -> Greek (2).
-0625 Hanging Gardens built in Bactra, my science city. Philosophy -> Bridge Building -> Republic. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut.
-0600 Barbarians kill my Chariot. Cunaxa and Cremona founded.
-0575 3 Barbarian horsemen attack size 1 Bunyan, kill its single pikemen and raze the city. 25g from hut. Advanced tribe founds Cannae. Capua founded.
-0550 Horseman miraculously survives attack from barbarian horseman and turns vet. Turin founded. Copper to Athens from science city for 56 establishes the first trade route. Mongol (0) -> 50g.
-0525 Genoa founded. Vikings (4) -> 0g. Greeks declare war over my demand for tribute.
-0500 Barbarian horseman kills my wounded vet None Horseman and with it the city of Cannae. Romans build Pyramids. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut. None horseman kills one and turns vet. Crete founded. University from hut. Spanish (1) -> 25g. Zulu (2) -> 50g. Roman (5) -> 150g.
-0475 Paid 114+75 to barbarians to save city of Sardis of size 3. Barbarian horseman killed in attack on Herat. Advanced tribe founds Verona. Pikeman killed in attack on Greek Catapult.
-0450 Barbarian horseman killed in attack on Sardis. Second one kills pikeman in Sardis.
-0425 Sardis and its settler lost to barbarian horseman. Philosophy, University, Bridge Building -> Viking (4). Romans ignore me. Philosophy -> Zulu. Spanish (1) -> 50g. Philosophy -> Mongol (0).
-0400 Mongol civilization destroyed by Romans. Invention from hut.
-0375 Freshly produced knight kills approaching barbarian horseman. Salamis, Lisbon, and Hamburg founded.
-0350 Barbarian horseman killed in attack on my city. Accepted Greek offer of peace. They ignored my demand for tribute. Prague founded. 50g from hut.
-0325 50g from hut. Advanced tribe founds Salzburg.
-0300 Colossus and Marco built. Writing -> Zulu -> 50g. Construction, Wheel, University -> Sioux (0) -> peace, maps. Viking (4) -> 75g. Roman (5) -> 0g. 5 barbarian horsemen from polar hut. Knight kills barbarian horseman. 50g from hut. Bergen founded.
-0275 Barbarians kill my horseman. Venice founded.
-0250 Spanish -> 0g. Seafaring -> Sioux.
-0225 Barbarian legion kills my Knight. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut.
-0200 Pikeman killed by barbarians but not before killing 5 of them. 50g from hut. T7L0S3
-0175 Milan founded.
-0150 50g from hut. Pisa and ghent founded. University, Seafaring -> Roman (5) -> 75g. Wheel -> Zulu (2) -> 50g. Viking (4) -> 0g. Math -> Spanish (1).
-0125 Republic -> Monotheism. Republic established. T1L1S8. Dublin founded.
-0100 25+50g from huts.
-0075 Toronto and melbourne founded. T0L4S6 to keep the celebration in science city going.
-0050 Barbarian legion kills my pikeman. Advanced tribe founds Sydney. Tehran, Shush, and Maghreb founded. T1L6S3.
-0025 Greeks sneak attack and kill a settler. Paid 50g to barbarians to save size 1 Salzburg who lost its defender tothem last turn. Knight kills Greek legion. Republic -> Viking (4) -> peace. Republic -> Sioux (0).
+0001 Ghaznin, Babol, Rasht, and Tunis founded. Sardis refounded. All techs -> Sioux (0)

Status at +0001
Population: 1.89M; Cities: 60; Trade routes: 0D1F; Government: Republic
Gold: 19 Cost per turn: 4; Total advances: 30; Production: 190MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Marco
Units: 28 Settlers (2 None), 7 Legions (1 None), 20 Pikemen, 2 Horsemen, 3 Knights (2 None), 1 Catapult, 1 diplomat, 19 Caravans
Roman: 12 cities, 21 techs; War with Zulu; Pyramids
Zulu: 7 cities, 16 techs; War with Romans and Vikings
Viking: 8 cities, 21 techs; War with Zulu
Spanish: 4 cities, 13 techs;
Greek: 6 cities, 15 techs; War with me
Mongol: Destroyed by Romans
Sioux: 1 cities, 30 techs;

Looking good, Ali. With 60 cities + republic, you can run up a big score quickly. I still can't tell if you are playing for landing or conquest. Seems that you can still choose either one, though Colossus + 19 vans suggests a landing game.

I got a lot of advanced tribes after -1000, but lost a few cities to barbarians as well. I have a whole colony at the center of the map where the rivers join. I got several advanced tribes in that area and added more cities from settlers made by those.

My goal is landing. But I am keeping my options open.

+0020 Greek horseman killed in attack on my settler fortified on river. Kerman founded. T0L2S8
+0040 Domestic Hides for 54. 50g from hut. Greek Legion bought for 118 and used to kill another Greek legion turning vet. Vienna founded. Legion killed in attack on Greek catapult. T2L2S6
+0060 Turned down Zulu offer of 50g for alliance against Romans. Monotheism -> Banking. Catapult kills Greek Archer. 25g from hut. Domestic Silk for 90. SouthTip and Ray founded.
+0080 Michelangelo built. Legion kills Greek catapult. 50g from hut. Bologna founded.
+0100 Zulu build Lighthouse. Catapult kills Greek legion. Sirjaan founded. Domestic Silk for 18.
+0120 Greek horseman kills my vet Legion. Advanced tribe founds Semnan. Greek horseman, catapult, and chariot killed. Amol founded.
+0140 Zurich founded. Domestic Hides for 94.
+0160 Banking -> Democracy. Alpine founded. Rejected Greek offer of peace. Senate backed me up! Wow! Greeks came back with 300g and I gladly accepted.
+0180 Invention, Banking -> Viking (4) -> maps. Republic -> Roman (5) -> maps. Republic, Universtiy -> Zulu (3) -> maps. Spanish (1) -> maps. Sioux (0) -> maps. None legion from hut.
+0200 Zanjan, Balkh, and Neyriz founded. Domestic Silk for 36. T4L2S4.
+0240 None settler from hut. Daryakenar founded.
+0260 Greeks build Sun Tzu. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut. Dashtestaan founded.
+0280 Barbarians kill my horseman. Copernicus built. T6L2S2.
+0300 Democracy -> Theology. Democracy established. T2L2S6. Koca Tepe and Bern founded. Domestic deliveries for 65+72+381. Wool to Athens for 100. Barbarian horseman bought for 41 and used to kill another.
+0320 Copper to Madrid for 14. Gems to Roman Antiurm for 33.
+0340 Barbarian horseman kills my horse. Another is killed in attack on my city. Theology -> Medicine. Barbarian horse bought for 41. Domestic delivery for 127.
+0380 Medicine -> Sanitation. 100g from hut. Baamiyaan founded.
+0400 Rejected Greek offer of 50 to ally with them against Romans. Bach built. Belfast founded. Gems to Viking Trondheim for 45.
+0420 Sanitation -> Chemistry. Celtville founded. Domestic Gold for 192. Shushtar founded.
+0440 Konya founded. Silk to Roman Antium for 162. Ankara founded.
+0460 Chemistry -> Gunpowder. 50g from hut. Domestic deliveries for 75+76.
+0480 Turned down Sioux offer of alliance against Greeks for 50. Vikings build Great Library. Banking, Democracy, Chemistry, Sanitation -> Sioux (0)
+0500 Gunpowder -> Explosives. Bam founded. Invention, Seafaring -> Zulu -> maps. Astronomy, Writing -> Viking -> maps. Invention, Republic -> Greek -> no maps.

Status at +0500
Population: 9.14M; Cities: 85; Trade routes: 24D6F; Government: Democracy
Gold: 63; Cost per turn: 29; Total advances: 38; Production: 387MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Marco, Michaelangelo, Copernicus, Bach
Units: 67 Settlers (3 None), 7 Legions (1 None), 45 Pikemen, 1 Horsemen, 1 Crusaders, 3 Knights (2 None), 1 Catapult, 2 diplomat, 21 Caravans
Roman: 13 cities, 23 techs; War with Zulu and Greeks; Pyramids
Zulu: 7 cities, 22 techs; War with Romans and Vikings; Lighthouse
Viking: 9 cities, 28 techs; War with Zulu
Spanish: 6 cities, 14 techs;
Greek: 8 cities, 19 techs; War with Romans and Sioux; Sun Tzu
Sioux: 2 cities, 34 techs; War with Greeks

+0320 Copper to Madrid for 14. Gems to Roman Antiurm for 33.

This has to be depressing. It must take a long time to get an advance this way (or am I missing the point? maybe these were done for the ongoing benefits or to ease celebrations?). But I see you've gotten some more decent bonuses too, and you seem to be making progress - 8 advances in 25 turns doesn't seem bad on a one-land-mass map. Good luck.

The one to Madrid was from a nearby city. Other demands for Copper were quite far away and I could use the trade route.

Almost all decent bonuses came from the science city in that era. Now I have larger cities and if I go across the continent the payout is decent. The rivers are providing a great source for movement but it still takes a long time to cross this huge land mass.

+0520 Niagara founded. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut. One bought for 41g. Rafsanjaan founded.
+0540 Barbarians kill my diplomat. Explosives -> Theory of Gravity. Tangestaan founded.
+0560 Theory of Gravity -> Economics.
+0580 Barbarian horseman killed in attack on my city. Barbarian horseman bought for 41g. 2 of my horseman kill 2 barbarian horseman. Budapest, Adana, and Kuhposht founded.
+0600 Economics -> Metallurgy. Domestic Spice for 75. Musketeer kills barbarian legion and turns vet. 8 barbarian horsemen from hut. Horseman kills one. Dezful founded.
+0620 Leo built. Spahan founded. Silver to Viking Jorvik for 182. Spice to Little Bighorn for 165. Mordaab founded.
+0640 Barbarian horseman killed in attack on my city. Metallurgy -> Conscription. Antalia founded. Knight kills barbarian horseman. Barbarian horseman bought for 41 and used to kill another. Shiraz founded.
+0660 Conscription -> Leadership. Domestic deliveries for 62+135+240. Canberra, Zarddasht, Chaalus, and Anzali founded. Riflemen kill 3 barbarian horseman. Another bought for 41g.
+0680 2 barbarian elephants rise near Shiraz. JangelKenar, Babolsar, Sarajevo, FereidoonKenar, and Celtfieldfounded.
+0700 Barbarians capture recently built Shiraz . Leadership -> Tactics. First boat built for revealing ocean. Abadan, Saaveh, and GilanShahr founded. Subverted size 1 Greek Brundisium for 2x63. Got 5g and a pikeman.
+0720 Tactics -> Navigation. Ahvaaz and Shahreza founded.
+0740 Shaabdolazim founded. Wine to Viking Viborg for 77. Dragoon kills barbarian horseman. 50g from hut.
+0760 Navigation -> Physics. Derakhtzaar, Sarakhs, and London founded. Rifleman kills barbarian elephant.
+0780 Shiraz bought back for 26g. Got elephant and diplomat. Warsaw founded.
+0800 Physics -> Magnetism. Navigation, Physics, Gunpowder -> Sioux. Domestic deliveries for 40+270. Ardabil founded.
+0820 Magnetism -> Electricity. Newton built. Cavalry kills barbarian horseman. AmirKola founded. Domestic deliveries for 45+225+243. Dye to Roman Pisae for 216.
+0840 Electricity -> Refrigeration. Musketeer from hut. Greek Chariot bought for 82.
+0860 Refrigeration -> Steam Engine. Fasaa and Eshghaabaad founded. Roman settler bought for 216.
+0880 Barbarian dragoon lands near Naples. Zulu build King Richard's. Steam Engine -> Atomic Theory. BandarAbbas founded. Domestic deliveries for 237. Freshly built destroyer sinks barbarian ship, kills the disembarked dragoon, and turns vet.
+0900 Domestic deliveries for 150.
+0920 Atomic Theory -> Railroad . Domestic deliveries for 70+201+237. Beads to Roman Antium for 106. 50g from hut. Sardasht founded. TL3S6.
+0940 Railroad -> Industrialization. First pollution appears. Bavaria founded. Domestic deliveries for 44+96+96+40+68. All but Railroad to Sioux. Steam Engine -> Viking (4). T1L2S7.
+0960 Industrialization -> Corporation -> Genetic Engineering. Sangestaan founded. Domestic deliveries for 87+78+40. Wool to Zimbabwe for 204. Hides to Roman Pisae for 144+186. Kiev and baarike founded. Roman Palmyra subverted for 2x118. Got 3g and one unit.
+0980 Genetic Engineering -> Steel. Domestic deliveries for 232+146+108. Hides to Viking Viborg for 86. Spanish Cordoba subverted for 2x138. Got 29g plus a unit. All but Railroad to Sioux.
+1000 Steel -> Refining. Wool to Roman Karakorum for 132. Domestic deliveries for 87+90+112. Spanish Valladolid subverted for 2x136. Got 28 and a unit.

Status at +1000
Population: 28.59M; Cities: 129; Trade routes: 75D15F; Government: Democracy
Gold: 113; Cost per turn: 145; Total advances: 57; Production: 761MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Marco, Michaelangelo, Copernicus, Bach, Leo, Newton
Units: 90 Engineers (3 None), 1 Phalanx, 1 Musketeer, 80 Riflemen (1 None), 10 Cavalry (2 None), 1 Cannon, 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport, 4 diplomats, 34 Freights
Roman: 17 cities, 25 techs; War with Zulu and Greeks; Pyramids
Zulu: 7 cities, 23 techs; War with Romans and Vikings; Lighthouse, King Richard
Viking: 9 cities, 34 techs; War with Zulu and Spanish; Great Library
Spanish: 6 cities, 15 techs; War with Vikings
Greek: 9 cities, 21 techs; War with Romans; Sun Tzu
Sioux: 3 cities, 55 techs;

I made the mistake of over expansion and now I have a monstrous empire with turns taking over 1 hour to play. It is fun but overwhelming. I wish I had stuck with a core set of cities and landed but I sprawled all over the map and this map is huge. I have 171 cities with plenty of room left for expansion.

The space race just begun. I am not going to delay it for pushing the score. I simply cannot afford the time.

+1020 Refining -> Combustion -> Automobile. All but Railroad to Sioux. Deliveries to Zulu for 134+76+214. Domestic deliveries for 47. ChaaleMeydaan and Munich founded.
+1040 Automobile -> Mass Production. Cure for Cancer built. Domestic deliveries for 86+176+35. Silver to Little Big Horn for 210. Khorramshahr founded. 100g from hut.
+1060 Mass Production -> Electronics. Sangelaj and kamarBaarik founded. Gold to Viking Lindholm for 158. Domestic deliveries for 98+138+150+50.
+1080 Electronics -> Machine Tools. Domestic deliveries for 128+95+48+38. Foreign deliveries for 122+150. Qom and Laar founded.
+1100 Machine Tools -> Mini -> Computers. First superhighways built. Perth and Kuchespahan founded. Domestic deliveries for 95. Foreign deliveries for 126+105.
+1120 Computers -> Recycling. All but Railroad to Sioux. T2L2S6. Domestic deliveries for 138+150. MozPahlu and Urumiyeh founded.
+1140 Recycling -> Nuclear Fission. Domestic deliveries for 174+682+168. Khoy, Karaj, and Moldova founded. Sioux Cedar Creek subverted for 2x366. Got 39g and 2 units.
+1160 Nuclear Fission -> Nuclear Power. Domestic deliveries for 122+110+74+80+42. Foreign deliveries for 112+175.
+1180 Nuclear Power -> Laser -> Flight. Domestic deliveries for 674. Shaahi founded.
+1200 Flight -> Radio. Bucharest , Andimeshk, and Naayinfounded. Navigation -> Zulu (2), Greek (3). All but Railroad to Sioux. Updated all maps. Domestic deliveries for 46+60. Foreign deliveries for 115.
+1220 Radio -> Advanced Flight. Mostar and Zardestaan founded. Domestic deliveries for 132+56+27+35+240.
+1240 Advanced Flight -> Rocketry. Yazd, PolDokhtar and Malaayer founded. Domestic deliveries for 192.
+1260 Rocketry -> Space Flight -> Environmentalism. 100g from hut. Domestic deliveries for 136+31+72+74.
+1280 Environmentalism -> Plastics. SETI built. Greeks declare war when I ask them to remove their troops. Greek chariot and musketeer killed. Sophia and Saari founded. Domestic deliveries for 306+92+168+150.
+1300 Romans and Vikings steal Space Flight. I declare war on both. Plastics -> Superconductor. Fighter plane kills Greek pikeman and turns vet. Defenseless Greek Argos bought for 62. Got 19g and barracks. Senate forces peace with Greeks. Viking Cannon killed. Siyaahkal founded. Domestic deliveries for 45+75+59.
+1320 Sioux steal Plastics. I declare war. Superconductor -> Fusion Power -> Future Tech 1. Cavalry kill Viking musketeer andRoman pikeman. Astara, BandarLenge and Teflis founded. Domestic deliveries for 216+48+288.
+1340 Romans kill my cavalry and steal Plastics. Future Tech 1 -> 2 -> 3. Hoover dam built to reduce pollution (no factories yet). Fighter kills Roman musketeer. Adelaide founded. Domestic deliveries for 68+51. Accepted Viking offer of 300g for peace.
+1360 Romans steal Fusion Power. Future Tech 3 -> 4. Roman diplomat killed. Spanish declare war when I ask them to remove their troops. Riflemen kill Spanish catapult and horseman. Domestic deliveries for 40+64.
+1380 Zulu steal Fusion Power. I declare war. Future Tech 4 -> 5 -> 6. Riflemen kill 2 Spanish units. 3 Roman units killed. York founded. Domestic deliveries for 36+135+100.
+1400 Future Tech 6 -> 7. 2 Zulu and 4 Spanish units killed. Zahedan and Sehrvaan founded. Domestic deliveries for 77+40. Foreign deliveries for 60. Roman Lutetia bought for 532. Got 33, 2 units, and city walls. Senate forces peace with Romans.
+1420 Future Tech 7 -> 8 -> 9. Vikings declare war when I ask them to remove their units. 1 Viking and 1 Spanish units killed. Domestic deliveries for 40+50+51.
+1440 Future Tech 9 -> 10. Romans declare war when I ask for troop removal. 1 Spanish and 3 Zulu units killed. Viking Hladir bought for 260. Got 18g, 2 units, one settler, and 2 structures. What a deal! Senate forces peace with Vikings. Domestic deliveries for 75+108+51. Foreign deliveries for 28.
+1460 Romans steal Superconductor. Spanish horseman dies in attack on my cavalry. Future Tech 10 -> 11 -> 12. Apollo built. Roman Jerusalem bought for 350. Got 19g and 2 units. Fighter kills 2 defenders allowing capture of Roman Syracuse for 21g. Roman catapult killed. Senate forces peace with Sioux. Vikings declare war rather than withdraw troops. Viking Chariot killed. Fighter kills Spanish defender. Spanish Salamanca captured for 40g. Luxemberg founded. 5 barbarian Knights from hut. Domestic deliveries for 70+112+98+75+131+140+48+104.
+1480 Barbarian kill my None rifleman. Romans start the space race by building a structural. Future Tech 12 -> 13. 1 Zulu unit killed. Accepted 300g offer of Vikings for peace. Senate forces peace with Romans. Domestic deliveries for 132+158+160.
+1500 Senate forces peace with Zulu and Spanish. Future Tech 13 -> 14 -> 15. Adam Smith built. Seqlaab and gaavdasht founded. All but Railroad to Sioux. Domestic deliveries for 25+28+56+128+60. Foreign deliveries for 26.

Status at +1500
Population: 97.72M; Cities: 171; Trade routes: 219D30F; Government: Democracy
Gold: 65; Cost per turn: 287; Advances: 78+14FT; Production: 1499MT; 1 polluted tiles
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Marco, Michaelangelo, Copernicus, Bach, Leo, Newton, Adam Smith, Cure for Cancer, SETI, Hoover, Apollo
Units: 1 Settler, 110 Engineers (3 None), 2 Pikemen, 5 Musketeers, 98 Riflemen (1 None), 10 Cavalry (2 None), 1 Cannon, 5 Fighter planes, 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport, 6 diplomats, 17 Freights
Roman: 14 cities, 37 techs; Pyramids
Zulu: 8 cities, 33 techs; Lighthouse, King Richard
Viking: 8 cities, 39 techs; Great Library
Spanish: 7 cities, 17 techs;
Greek: 8 cities, 25 techs; Sun Tzu
Sioux: 3 cities, 77 techs;

With turns taking well over 1 hour to play, it took monumental effort to finsih this off. There was something special about this map that made me keep playing. Also, for the first time ever in my playing experience I reached the 255 city limit in a civ2 game.

+1510 Greeks sneak attack and kill 2 Engineers. Vikings steal Plastics. I declare war. Sneak attack by Spanish in which they lose. Future Tech 15 -> 16. 3 Greek units, 7 Spanish units, and 2 Viking units killed. Rudsar founded. Domestic deliveries for 50+68.
+1520 Future Tech 16 -> 17 -> 18. Rifleman from hut. Fighter plane kills defender of Madrid, rendering it once again defenseless . Madrid captured for 132g and 3 structures. 3 more Spanish units killed. Cavalry and Cannon killed in attack on Greek Mycenae. Must have city walls. 2 Greek unit skilled. Domestic deliveries for 52+55+107.
+1530 For the first time Senate backs me up against the Spanish. Future Tech 18 -> 19. Spanish Barcelona bought for 130. Got 48, a unit, and a barracks. Accepted Spanish offer of 150 for a cease fire. 1 Greek unit killed. Domestic deliveries for 60+34.
+1540 Future Tech 19 -> 20 -> 21. Musketeer from hut. 2 Greek units killed. Domestic deliveries for 350+278+78+28. Foreign deliveries for 24.
+1550 Vikings join the space race. Future Tech 21 -> 22. Rifleman from hut. Bolgharestan founded.
+1560 Greeks steal Fusion Power. Romans build Magellan's Expedition. Romans capture undefended Sarajevo and take Railroad. Immediately Senate hands them a cease fire. Then they steal Miniaturization. Future Tech 22 -> 23 -> 24. 1 Viking unit killed. Kuchaksara, Paasaargaad and Varaamin founded. Domestic deliveries for.150+47+174+50+52.
+1570 Greeks steal Plastics. Future Tech 24 -> 25. Railroad -> Sioux. They declare war when I ask them to remove their troops. 1 Sioux, 1 Greek, and 2 Roman units killed. Spanish Seville subverted for 2x55. Got 6g and 1 unit. Sioux Slim Buttes bought for 486. Got 93g and 1 unit. Domestic deliveries for 107+306+60+80+91.
+1580 Future Tech 25 -> 26 -> 27. Defenseless Sarajevo liberated for 3g. 1 Viking, 1 Roman unit killed. 1 fighter plane lost. Zabol founded. Accepted Roman offer of 250 for peace.
+1590 Senate hand Sioux peace deal. Future Tech 27 -> 28. 2 Viking and 2 Greek units killed. Spanish Valencia subverted for 2x55. Got 7g, a unit, and a barracks. Domestic deliveries for 17+120+114+102+90. Foreign deliveries for 10.
+1600 Future Tech 28 -> 29 -> 30. Rifleman from hut. 1 Greek and 2 Viking units killed. Spanish Cadiz subverted for 2x110. Got 16g and a unit. Domestic deliveries for 82+92. Foreign deliveries for 230.
+1610 Future Tech 30 -> 31. Domestic deliveries for 556+44+19+39.
+1620 Diplomat foils Zulu espionage attempt. Future Tech 31 -> 32 -> 33. 1 Viking unit and 3 Greek units killed. Greek Mycenae captured for 135g and 3 structures. Accepted Greek offer of 1150 for peace. Domestic deliveries for 166+75+75+258+147.
+1630 Zulu steal Plastics. I declare war. Zulu elephant killed in attack on my Rifleman. Future Tech 33 -> 34. Domestic deliveries for 84+110.
+1640 Greeks steal Space Flight. I declare war. Zulu steal Space Flight. Future Tech 34 -> 35 -> 36. 1 Viking units killed. Taraavat founded. 100g from polar hut. Domestic deliveries for 43+300+76+40. Foreign deliveries for 64.
+1650 Zulu make a delivery. Future Tech 36 -> 37. GordShahr founded. Sioux declare war rather than move troops. 1 Sioux, 2 Zulu units killed. Domestic deliveries for 644+38+31+86+52. Foreign deliveries for 68+168.
+1660 Sioux Bomber kills my Rifleman. Future Tech 37 -> 38 -> 39. Kermanshah founded. 2 Zulu units killed. Domestic deliveries for 144+174+154+859+30+181.
+1670 Future Tech 39 -> 40 -> 41. Full Space ship launched. 100g from polar hut. Romans declare war rather than remove troops. 2 Roman and 2 Zulu units killed. Accepted Viking offer of 400 for peace. Domestic deliveries for 100+82+82. Foreign deliveries for 16.
+1671 Future Tech 41 -> 42. Tasmania, Andalus, Marmara, SaahelMoz, and Vaan founded. 1 Roman, 3 Greek, and 1 Zulu units killed. Senate gives Sioux peace. Domestic deliveries for 107+175+105+48+82.
+1672 Shakespeare built. Future Tech 42 -> 43. Minsk founded. Senate gives peace to Zulu. 1 Roman unit killed. Spanish Saragossa subverted for 2x110. Got 23g and a unit. Domestic deliveries for 75+78+194. Foreign deliveries for 35.
+1673 Vikings steal Superconductor. I declare war. Future Tech 43 -> 44 -> 45. Rushed last 24 shields of Darwin to keep it from Zulu. 3 Greek units killed. Greek Delphi captured for 54g and a marketplace. Senate gives Romans cease fire. Adviye founded. Domestic deliveries for 54+96+45. Foreign deliveries for 72.
+1674 Darwin and Oracle built. Future Tech 45 -> 46 -> 47 -> 48. Peace with Romans and Vikings. Industrialization -> Roman. Conscription -> Zulu and Viking. No tech exchange . Someone has Communism. Sioux declare war over my demand to remove troops. 2 Greek units killed. Domestic deliveries for 62+78+287. Foreign deliveries for 16.
+1675 Sioux kill my cavalry. Future Tech 48 -> 49 -> 50. Chalipa and Sahand founded. 50g from polar hut. Domestic deliveries for 80+54+120+80+18+34.
+1676 Sioux kill 2 Engineers. Zulu steal Superconductor. I declare war. Future Tech 50 -> 51. Senate gives Greeks peace. Siberia, deraaze, and Yamut founded. Domestic deliveries for 160+18+39+19+271+10+78
+1677 Greeks steal Superconductor. I declare war. Eiffel built. Future Tech 51 -> 52.Fighter plane lost in attack on Greeks. Gandomzaar , Daaghestaan, and Miyaane founded. Viking embassy established. Spanish Bilbao bought for 108g. Got 27g and a unit. Spanish civilization destroyed. Domestic deliveries for 27+35+99+171+150. Foreign deliveries for 16.
+1678 Global warming feared. Statue of Liberty built. Future Tech 52 -> 53 -> 54. Naarenjsara, bonbast, panje, and Marzak founded. 100g from polar hut. Domestic deliveries for 66+94+164+80+70+102+8+40+11. Foreign deliveries for 64+30+20.
+1679 Future Tech 54 -> 55. Viking Jarrow subverted for 2x380. Got 27g, Communism, 2 settlers, a defender, and 2 structures! Sioux bomber destroyed. Zardak, DurDasht, Kuhpaaye, Baatlaagh, and sardsir founded. EndGame1 founded. Reached max number of cities for the first time ever. There are 255 cities on the map; 216 are mine. Domestic deliveries for 140+58+40+79+8+7+20. Foreign deliveries for 100+34+44+13. T0L3S7
+1680 Greeks and Sioux join the space race. Manhattan, Suffrage, The great wall, and UN built. Future Tech 55 -> 56 -> 57. Domestic deliveries for 20. T0L10S0
+1681 Space ship arrives.

Top Bottom