Gotm21-Melee - Pregame Discussion

After reading every post in the thread I am twitching like a rat on crack. Only 26 minutes before I can leave my place of employment and start my real job........trying to make the Mediterenian sea into my personal lake! I really enjoy the different strategies and viewpoints expressed in the thread. Good luck to you all.

Originally posted by GrandpaCat
I am very impressed by the addition of an installer for all the graphic files. Even though it is a simple procedure to follow the readme directions and extract needed game files, I always found it to be a pain in the ass. Sometimes it is the little things that matter.

Thanks cracker.

I must agree the installer is a step in the right direction. I only have one nick-pit:

1) Play and submitted gotm#20
2) Not played #20

At the time I got the download, I was still playing #20 and didn't fit either category. I felt the first was closer, but I wonder it it will cause questions.

====================================

This will be my only post for this discussion. I verified late last night that I got the game, and can load it (NO turns played yet).

I plan to move the worker west to work the resource (lambs?). Unless I see something unreal, I don't plan to move the settler. The initial challenge will be where is the fresh water? I want the chop credit from the forest, so I won't go there to auto-clear a square. There are hints are grassland least two directions, but with fish, lambs and the other goody, I suspect enough food for now. A granary / settler factory will probably appear from the 2nd city if I find a good spot. It looks like expansion will be a challenge.

With restless barbs, an early barracks will be in order. It looks like 40-turn gambit on writing with the possibility of map-making being critical, and it paid very well for me in GOTM#20.

The early question to be answers is what effect does naval action have? My gut feeling is that it will be important.

I saw negative comments about less scientific civs. I ran a game of deity with all science civs. Trust me; you should be happy to have less scientific civs. It creates an insane game pace. In addition, if PTW players have multiple scientific civs around the fastest UN / Space race is almost guaranteed to someone playing PTW.

:confused: The one thing I am not sure of is what purpose there is in hiding the new civ traits. Cracker, any comments on this one?

Ok, I think I will give this game a couple hours tonight. With all the RCP stuffs going on lately, it's hard for me to stand on the side line.:( I hope the starting island will be big enough for RCP.

Just read the scope of the game. I believe all the files come in an auto-installer, so you should be fine just running the file.

And welcome to the GOTM, BTW. :)

PM Cracker with any difficulties you have with the setup.

Ah, my first post after lurking for so long. I will be joining all of you for this month's GotM, so please... wish me luck.

Originally posted by Svar

Yeh and in my test cases it was frustrating to have veteran warriors losing to barbarians but it happened a couple of times in each test.

Yep, and with what looks like a lot of hills around I may forgo my usual build of archers to deal with them and go defensive with hoplites instead. Or at least fewer archers/ more defense than normal.

Renata

Originally posted by Txurce

We will be the only scientific civ in the game. If we weren't, the PTW players would have a significant advantage over the 1.29 players, especially in pursuit of the space race or a diplomatic win. Under those circumstances, it would be difficult to compare scores. I would rather have an even game, where I'll never notice the absence of other civs getting bonus techs, rather than an uneven one where they do.

I understand the reason for only having 1 scientific tribe. I just disagree with it being a desirable change. A lot of effort is being put into keeping the 3/4 flavors of Civ in sync, but I'm not sure it is worth it especially between Civ3/PTW.
There have been lots of changes in PTW that are not in the last Civ3 patch. In fact there are signifcant differences between PTW1.14 and PTW1.21. I believe that we are fooling ourselves by isolating 1 change (the scientific bonus techs). There are probably dozens of changes that we don't know about. We know there are AI improvements and such.
As for the specific impact of extra bonus techs, I am not convinced that they make that big a difference. It really only makes a 5 turn difference at the beginning of each age. After 5 turns or so the AI will have researched most of these techs in many games. This means that for comparison purposes I would estimate that the bonus techs could[/] make about a 15 turn difference in the specific cases of UN and Space Race. In many cases less as there is a chance that 2 sci civs will get the same tech.

Just my $.02

I got the resource graphic pack downloaded last night, but haven't got time to install it yet. I can't wait for this 4th of July weekend; hopefully I will have some time to play. Right now, I wish to win the Powerball (Iowa lottery) this weekend. It's only $165 millions. Wish me luck.:)

Good luck!

As for the specific impact of extra bonus techs, I am not convinced that they make that big a difference. It really only makes a 5 turn difference at the beginning of each age. After 5 turns or so the AI will have researched most of these techs in many games. This means that for comparison purposes I would estimate that the bonus techs could[/] make about a 15 turn difference in the specific cases of UN and Space Race. In many cases less as there is a chance that 2 sci civs will get the same tech.

The variation can be little or a lot. Given the number of submissions each month, probably a couple players at least are going to get lucky and get all or most of the possible free techs. 3 Scientific civs in a game would be up to 24 turns difference. If you have 4 Scientific civs in a game, it could mean up to 28 turns difference. Those variations would make the Diplomatic and Spaceship awards basically a random thing. As far as I can tell, no other differences between the versions makes anything near as much an impact on any aspect of the game. Sipahi (on certain maps and in the hands of the player) would be the closest thing IMO, and cracker made sure to give the 1.29f players the same type of unit.

Also, tech rate affects other aspects of the game. Consider a Player who gets lucky and none of the Scientific civs get Feudalism, giving them extra turns of killing Spears instead of Pikes... then later extra turns of killing Pikes instead of Muskets... ect. Compared to the Player who is facing those units earlier because of the free techs, Conquest and Domination victories (and scoring in general) would be much easier (Ottomans and Sipahi excluded ;) ).

Well, just getting around to starting. Just some comments.

1-Main GOTM page wasn't updated w/21 link, but I found one in a thread.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/gotm21_melee.shtml

2-Choice of install was a little confusing. I downloaded the full first and then realized I needed the plain. Several solutions, but IMHO a one-size-fits-all package would be sufficient, assuming download size isn't too bad.

3-Choice of class is a bit tricky. Still can't find a short list of the differences. Oh well, after last GOTM I wouldn't mind a (hopefully) simple conquest game.

Thanks in advance to the staff for the hard work. The self-install package is great!

Welcome and good luck to the first-timers! This should be a great game to start on.

EDIT: Don't know what I did wrong, but I got a message about a missing PediaIcons entry for ANIMNAME_PRTO_Treasure.

Now my game crashes hard :( Guess I liked the manual method better.

EDIT2: Ok, it works now. I had a 'non-standard' install path. The installer folder tree showed a nonexistant path by default. Not a good idea to show something that looks familiar but acts differently.

Will GOTM work on a mac? I would love to join in the fun but am not sure if it will work...:confused:

Okay, I have been trying to decide if I wanted to start yet. I think I might, I am playing the conquest level, so with all the extras I hope and plan to do just fine.. Still Just this feeling that if I don't do well this month then that would be 5 losses in a row and I don't know if I can deal with such failure.

But, I would probably keep playing, yup, I'm a sucker:)

No, I must Win this month!!

Originally posted by wallyskier
Will GOTM work on a mac? I would love to join in the fun but am not sure if it will work...:confused:
It's worked fine here all through June, on a G4 running OS X 10.2.6, with CivIII patched up to version 1.29 beta 2.

Go to the Mac forum here to find the 1.29 patch. Then you'll have to install all the add-on files to set up your CivIII to run the GOTM scenarios. There's a set of instructions here for that bit. Look down the page for Tao's simplified step by step guide.

Top Bottom