Gotm24-Korea Speculation thread

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
It is time to open the player speculation thread for Gotm24-Korea and see what your best guesses will be as to how this game will take shape.

The playable civ is the Korea based on the PTW civ definitions and the UU is setup to be like the Hwacha (Fire Cart). You will definately be able to play this game in Civ3v1.29 or in PTW.

The game will be one of the most spectacular and unique game expereinces so far this year and will give every player the opportunity to experience new and exciting challenges that you may never have experienced in any previous game.

It should also be lots of fun for experienced players and new players alike!!

Gotm24 begins a series of games that will se us playing the
Koreans followed by the Mongols in Gotm25 and them leading up to the Asian Melee game for Gotm26 in December.

What do you think you will see in terms of map characteristics and civ opponents for this game?

(no Peanut the language lables for all terrain and units have not been changed to Korean.)

[ptw] 1.21f - Open Class

I've played as China plenty of times in the past and usually had the Koreans as one of the biggest rivals each time. It'll be interesting playing as them. I can see this being a successful GOTM for most players.

Most of the opponents, I image, will be of the surrounding nations, such as China, Japan, India, Mongols, Russia - and possibly the Arabs.

I can see the terrain being rugged, mountainous and plenty of jungle.

The series of games coming up should be very interesting.

Nice one (again) Cracker and the team.

Desperately trying, and failing, to recall the default Korean traits.

I don't expect Korean geography. But we might be alone on a continent with perhaps two other civs, which have better start locations or some other factor handicapping us, forcing us into the historic Korean position of a small country trapped between larger ones, and forced to play them against each other, perhaps.

I also expect a coastal-ish start (to deter RCP).

With such an unusual UU I wonder if we're going to have lethal bombardment enabled for us only? That would be a nice surprise.

If we do end up surrounded by our historic neighbours we're in trouble. 3 or 4 civs all with powerful knight-based UUs. *groan*

For 1.29 players, here is one description of the Hwacha

So may need to watch Wonders more carefully, if we're not able to trigger the a Golden Age via the UU.

Still looking for Korea's traits....

Korea is Scientific and Commercial.

If the difficulty level is high getting a GA through wonders is going to be quite challenging. Has anyone triggered a GA for Korea using their UU?

The game will be one of the most spectacular and unique game expereinces so far this year and will give every player the opportunity to experience new and exciting challenges that you may never have experienced in any previous game.

Cracker, the other games have been great with some really interesting maps. I can hardly wait for this one.

Originally posted by Tone
Korea is Scientific and Commercial.

If the difficulty level is high getting a GA through wonders is going to be quite challenging.

What are the Golden Age trigger rules using Wonders? Will we need one Wonder for each of our traits, or can one Wonder do it? If both are needed then Commercial ones are a bit thin on the ground. A productive coastal city will be needed for Magellan or the Lighthouse. The only other ones are Smith's and the UN.

Does a captured Wonder work?

One wonder can start a GA, IIRC. At least the Egyptians can get a GA by building only the pyramids.

Scientific, woohoo! I like scientific. And commercial isn't so bad either...

I guess the terrain will be quite cold, maybe. Plains, mountains, hills? I don't remember Korean terrain very well...

Other civs- Propably Japan, China, Mongols, maybe Russia, America? as on the other side of the Pacific, if this is a true-world-style game...

Like playing the Greeks without the Hoplite :) I don't mind those traits, as they get stronger the further in the game you are.

Commercial wonders:

Colossus
Great Lighthouse
Magellans Voyage
Smiths Trading Comapny
United Nations

Scientific wonders:

Great Library
Newtons Univeristy
Theory of Evolution
Longevity
Cure for cancer

(edit) forgot Internet, can trigger GA for all traits

I don't want a hard game, not even emperor. To grab any of those wonders on tougher levels will need skill and luck.

I wouldn't mind a large archipelago map, it was some time since that was played, I think? And not all the Asian neighbours, since there will be "Asian Melee game for Gotm26 in December.", as cracker said.

Looking forward to it!

Originally posted by Wizard
One wonder can start a GA, IIRC. At least the Egyptians can get a GA by building only the pyramids.
Yeah, but the Egyptians are Industrious/Religious, which means the Pyramids match both their traits in one Wonder. There isn't a single Wonder that matches both Scientific and Commercial as far as I know, so my question still stands.

The Scientific options are pretty thin as well - only the Great Library and Newton's in the first two ages.

I don't remember Korean terrain very well...

Not a M*A*S*H fan, then :p. Hot in the summer and pretty cold in winter according to Hawkeye and the gang. Terrain is hilly farmland.

My predictions:

Level: Emperor (I can't see a "Sid"-level game as the first of the new 6-game tourney)

Map: 2-3 continents

Barbs: Raging and nasty (pre-Mongols, anyone?)

Opponents: China, India, Russia, Arabs, Vikings (far continent--watch out for boatloads of Besekers), Americans, Romans/Persians/Celts (one of the three), plus the French to give us a run for the money.

Victory condition: Diplomacy (unless Cracker is saving that for Mongols :lol: ).

Originally posted by King Of America
Opponents: China, India, Russia, Arabs, Vikings (far continent--watch out for boatloads of Besekers), Americans, Romans/Persians/Celts (one of the three), plus the French to give us a run for the money.
Surely the Japanese will be there? And maybe the Mongols will make a first appearance as opponents this time round.

Berserkers? Does the AI know how to use amphibious units?

My initial thoughts while I try to finish #23 - Ansars rock ;)

Barbs - Low or none. We had barb havoc 2 games in a row are due for a break.

Level - I think it is time for the regent game. With the Koreans need wonders for their GA I would be surprised to see a high level game with Korea. The Hwacha IMHO is a really lousy UU since I can't force a GA with it. If we have Emperor or Demigod there will be a lot of late, if no GA games.

Opponents - China and Japan are definite players as they are key rivals of Korea. I also expect the Mongols. Japan will be on its own island with some type of bonus to help them get going.

The game will be one of the most spectacular and unique game experiences so far this year.
I am not even going to attempt a guess what that means. I just hope it doesn't mean crammed in a small peninsula with 4 cities before China boxes you in.

Japan--doh! Of course!

I doubt we'll see Mongols as a official opponent--we only meet them officially next month, and Cracker hasn't yet introduced a Civ we haven't played yet as an opponent. That's why I suggested they might be a Barb.

If the AI doesn't know how to use amphibious units, life's great but why did Firaxis invent Marines ?! (Don't misunderstand--I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wondering why the AI would develop Amphibous Warfare instead of just pumping out Infantry?)

Originally posted by King Of America
I'm just wondering why the AI would develop Amphibous Warfare instead of just pumping out Infantry?)
No-one ever went broke under-estimating the wisdom and intelligence of the Civ3 AI :p. They seem to want to develop all the techs, whether they are of any use to them or not. And they don't *know* they're useless at amphibious warfare, they just are.

But I asked the question 'cos, in my limited experience, I've never seen them deploy a marine in direct amphibious combat.

Originally posted by AlanH
But I asked the question 'cos, in my limited experience, I've never seen them deploy a marine in direct amphibious combat.

I have seen it - but a lame one marine attacks a city with infantry. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AlanH

What are the Golden Age trigger rules using Wonders? ...

Does a captured Wonder work?

A while back I played a game where I triggered a GA from building a wonder which had neither of my civs traits. However I had previously captured some cities with wonders that did fit the bill. I have since been playing under the assumption that when a wonder is built, the player gets a GA if he has wonders under his control that match his civ traits. Can anyone comfirm this? I haven't had the situation repeat so I might have misinterpreted what had happened.

Originally posted by LKendter
I have seen it - but a lame one marine attacks a city with infantry. :rolleyes:
So they use amphibious attack as effectively as they use any other naval-transport attack :p. One part-filled transport at a time turns up and disgorges a unit or two ripe for slaughter :slay: .

Hmmm, some how Cracker is going restrict Korea's economy, forcing players to blackmail rival civs into providing annual "tributes" to Korea's unpredictable leadership. Is this going to be the Nuclear Melee GOTM? Sorry, I've not played enough of Cracker's GOTMs to have any real insight to how he may be thinking. All I have to offer is this obvious troll post. ;)

Tone

That is how it works for captured wonders.

Essentially the game only checks to see if you are entitled to a GA when you build a wonder. At that point any wonders you control are considered in the mix, even if they were not built by you originally.

Which means even capturing all the Sci and Com wonders won't help us if we don't build a wonder of our own too, at some point. :(

Top Bottom