1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GR13 - AWE on LK's world map

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Greebley, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

2110 (1): Thebes archer --> archer.

A Zulu warrior appears around Heliopolis--a conscript from a hut, fortunately.

2030 (3): Memphis settler (whipped) --> worker.

1950 (5): Thebes archer --> spearman.

1910 (6): A Songhai warrior appears in the NW, and we declare war.

The Zulu conscript dies attacking one of our warriors, after which a regular Zulu warrior appears (1-0).

Heliopolis settler (whipped) --> settler.

BW --> Wheel.

1870 (7): We defeat the Songhai warrior with an archer (2-0).

1830 (8): We shoot down the second Zulu warrior (3-0).

We found Elephantine on the northwestern coastal site. The city has two offshore grassland hexes it'll be able to use eventually, since Crete is an unusual spot on this map. ;)

1790 (9) - 1750 (10): Not much.

We have a force of a settler, a spearman, and an archer in position to reach the choke in two turns; but they can wait a few turns if the next player feels that's safer. Excluding this force, we have three units for four cities.

We've whipped Memphis twice for settlers, and Heliopolis once. I suppose we might as well be consistent and whip Heliopolis once more before we stop doing this.

This is one of those situations in which a city (Memphis) is content at 1-6-3 but unhappy at 0-7-3.

2. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

A gift of the Nile:

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I got it. Hum too short so, I repeat I got it.

4. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

550 sounds correct from what I remember for tech.

I think we may want to whip Elephantines barracks to get more military sooner (when we can). That town can grow swiftly too.

Roster:
    Greebley
    ThERat
    markh
    Northern Pike - Just Played
    vmxa - Up
    M60A3TTS - On Deck

5. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Elephantine will be hard pressed to make troops as it has no shields, unless we expand it borders or mine a desert tile. Anyway that can be decided by the team as I was told to whip a settler there and it will be a while before it can do much.

We are berift of shields as far as the eye can see, just a few plains tiles.

6. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I left the new archer for the next player to move. I was leaning towards Elephantine as it has no MP and will need more lux after next growth.

Lots of places could use an MP though, Thebes and the new town, well every place. Not a single foriegn unit came into view.

IBT: nothing

1725BC: nada3

IBT: disease hits Thebes, now size 4.

1700BC:
    could not drop lux, even after loss of pop.

1675BC:
    Hum, I did not see any msg, but Thebes is down to 3 pop, so must have been hit by flood plains again.

Worker from Memphis. So I drop to 20%. I leave Memphis on worker as we only have 3 for 4 towns. I send the worker to Elephantine to chop the forest and then mine and road the plains. I know the forest gives 2 shields, but so will a mine and the 10 shields will speed up the rax.

Found Alexandria and set to a wall. I move the pop to the forest to speed the wall, rather than growth. Just paranoid, but we cannot afford to lose units right now, but we can wait on pop.

1650BC:
    Lux back to 30%, can't rush settler yet.

IBT: nada

1625BC:
    Spear done in Thebes, switch to archer as we will need some attackers. I am not real sure where to send the spear, but decide to go with Helio.

Grab the worker heading towards forest and have him mine the plains near Thebes.
    Workers finishes wheat in Elephant and move to forest.

1600BC: nothing

1575BC: nothing, spear arrives at Helio.

IBT: zero

1550BC:
    Whip settler there.

IBT: 0

1525BC:
    Start rax in Helio. AFAIK we have now whipped twice in Helio and Thebes and one other place, so we will need to watch it. Settler heads out for the lux, but has no unit support.

IBT: nada

1500BC:
    Thebes epxanded and finished an archer and starts another.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Have we met Babylon? The next player should make sure we are at war if we have. I mention this because someone mentions that we would meet Babylon when the border expanded (which just happened).

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Sorry I did not check as Thebe's expansion should not do anything for Babs as I recall. If the blue is Babs and it probably is, but I thought we were already at war with them and Songhai?

10. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

We haven't met them, we just see their borders. Got it, will play tomorrow. Wheel in 3, any thoughts on what's next?

11. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

When disease comes it always strikes two turns in a row, AFAIK.

12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Makes sense, we can expect our share of disease that is a given. Glad to see I did not miss a contact. I was unsure about the F4 rule, so I did not look at it at all.

13. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I use the Shift D (when a worker is not selected - always hated that part) will bring up the list of civs. You can make sure you are at war with all of them there. You can also pick the Diplo D button on the UI for the same thing.

So I don't use F4, but don't think there is any real problem if you do. Provided all you do is declare war.

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yeah, I had forgotten about those options. I can't remember using them, but I have seen the Shift D.

Ok, I was not sure about it so I just left it alone.

15. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/43630/GR13_BC1250.SAV

Preturn- The lack of military is concerning but no major threats in sight yet.

IBT- A pair of Songhai reg warriors appear next to worker in Memphis. Elephantine rax>spear

Turn 2 1450BC- Our vet archer kills songhai reg warrior at Memphis. Heliopolis needs taxman. Wheel > alphabet in 16. No horses in sight. 2 more reg Songhai warriors appear south of Memphis. 2 Zulu warriors appear one tile east of them. One Songhai warrior cuts our road.

Turn 4 1400BC- Heliopolis rioted on pop growth. Zulu and Songhai lost a warrior attacking Memphis. Their 3rd warrior kills our depleted spear defending the town.

Turn 6 1350BC- Killed Songhai warrior and archer at Memphis.

Turn 9 1275BC- At Memphis we are defending with a spear, 2 warriors and two archers against 6 Zulu/Songhai warriors and two archers. I leave only a single archer at Heliopolis knowing all the AI has to do is move the Zulu troop stack opposite Heliopolis and our archer will be overrun. I gamble that the attacks so far on Memphis indicate the AI will continue to attack there regardless of the far more favorable odds against Heliopolis.

IBT- Sure enough, Memphis is the target. 3 Zulu warriors and their 2 archers die there along with a Songhai warrior. We incur no losses, spear and archer promote elite.

Turn 10- I leave a settler in Memphis. And done

Post turn- That settler which vmxa left has been on a potentially suicidal scout mission to the west in search of horses. Still alive though. Our troop levels were so low, it just seemed settling the town without a garrison when we already had one in that condition made no sense. I would say as soon as we have a couple more spears we can use our two settlers. No horses spotted yet, and the military situation in Memphis is stable for the moment, but let's keep building spears for a bit.

16. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Good call. :goodjob:

No horses, probably no iron, next to no shields, three fronts to defend--this is going to be a really impressive victory. :lol:

17. ThERat

ThERat Deity

this game will be super tough and I wonder whether we will survive

no resources and no shields are a little too much. Maybe, we can survive if we get an early army break with a archer army to defend properly

by the way, there is some extensive MM needed after looking at the save.

18. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I was afraid to say anything, but this is some homely land. It is one thing to fight with spears and archers, but another to not be able to make them in a decent time frame.

Some how we have to get the hills on either side of us to get some producion and the hopes of Iron or maybe even horses. WE can hope a hill just out of sight has some. Even if we had either it will take some time to get any built.

19. handy900

handy900 Deity

lurker's comment: I was thinking the same thing. :D

20. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Good to see you're still at least lurking, Handy. :hatsoff: