GR21 - AWDG vs 30

Pre-Turn
Change Copan to settler, I don't think it's the right location for the GLib as i's no on a river
get our capital to 10spt and a 3 turn JT

1. 1225BC
2 Iro and 1 Viking archer in sight

2. 1200BC
now there are 7 archers, defeat 2 for 1 slave
decide to make Copan our settler factory (using the cow and wheat)
Capital is 3 turn JT factory and Tikal (got many BG) set on palace

IT Iro starts ToA and Russia finishes th pyramids

3. 1175BC
6 archers in th vicinity, but I play defense for now

IT Byzantines finish Oracle

4. 1150BC
defeat 2 Viking archers, no slaves

IT wonders keep on falling as French get SoZ

5. 1125BC
more Iro archers coming into view, we better get an army soon
well, attack stack of 4 archers and get a MGL and slave
form 2 JT army to take out 2 more archers, army covered by JT

IT last of those 4 archers dies on JT

6. 1100BC
shuffle units around, move settler east in a somewhat dangerous move

7. 1075BC/B]
thins are tight around Bonampak with 4 archers nearby, but our army must heal
I let them pillage for once and heal first without exposing units
found a new city in the east

IT instead of pillaging, the archer commits suicide, but there are now 3 of them nearby with 4 more around
a French colored settler pair comes into view

8. 1050BC
It's not France but Inca and we have a 4th enemy
take out 3 archers with the help of our army and get 2 slaves

IT defeat archer on defense

9. 1025BC
army gives us more flexibility as we do not need to expose units
defeat 2 more archers with it

10. 1000BC
no action this time as army heals and archer are approaching
Tikal just grew to pop4 and now finishes the palace in 30 turns
writing is due in 15 turns
Copan will churn out another settler in 1, maybe we get it a granary after that?

It will be interesting to see if we get the GLib. We should note the year it does get built (if not by us) in case we need to try again.

Holding off so many enemies may get pretty tricky...

Roster:
Greebley - On Deck
Northern Pike
M60A3TTS
vxma
ThERat - Just Played
markh - Up

I'd suggest we consider pushing towards the Iros very soon. If they get MWs on top of a GA, we could be in a world of hurt.

"IT we ge gunpowder and go for chemistry"

Huh? Who has gunpowder? As to the GLB, it is a very very long shot. If that is a French pair and not an Arabian set, we got problems. They just finished the SoZ. So far we have not had to deal with fast movers.

"IT we ge gunpowder and go for chemistry"

Huh? Who has gunpowder?
:lol::lol::lol: that's the beauty of using a template to write the report...of course that's nonsense

Anyway, I think it will be tough with another Civ coming at us. Expansion will be really slow.

It cracked me up and then I though maybe I am looking at the wrong game. No doubt AWDG on 250 map will be a big struggle, unless we got some breaks. No lux in sight is one of the breaks we could have stood.

I am looking forward to the high research cost slowing them down, but they will be a handful after they get into the early middle ages, while we try to get setup. The big boost is coming from the JT's getting slaves and acting like spears with a bow.

It will probably come down to getting those early leaders and whom and how many civs we get.

Switching the functions of CI and Copan as we've done--so that now CI is producing JT, and Copan settlers--would only make sense if we could get two-turn JT out of CI, and that doesn't seem possible. So we should cancel the settler in Copan, let that town grow to size five, and set it up for three-turn JT production as will then be possible, while returning to settler production in CI where we've already got a granary.

An important detail here is that a town without fresh water such as Copan can't be run on a 5 --> 7 settler cycle, and falls to size four after producing a settler.

It's not clear that Mark even knows that we're playing, never mind that he's up, since he hasn't posted in this thread. Greebley, perhaps you should just play if weekends are best for you, and we can slot Mark into the roster whenever he surfaces.

NP you are correct about Copan, it is just to slow to grow. I remember looking at it one turn and it was 17 turns for the next pop to come in. Granary cuts that in half, but we lose however many turns it takes to get it up.

Right now we need units to handle the new arrivals we are going to be getting. Until we gets cats, we will have trouble once those spears and other 2 defense units show up.

Nice work, gents. :goodjob:

I am still on vacation and I haven't got the game with me, so I need to be skipped until 1st May.

lurker's comment: Those JT's can sure make a nice pile of slaves in a very short time:) This should be interesting to watch, so I'm spamming to subscribe, good luck, gentleman!

Preturn: Follow NP comments on switch. Kill two Archers; get a Worker.

Early: Lose a Jav to a Horse.

Mid: Our units are getting worn down. Many Iroquois Archers.
Also Incan Horses showed up.

Late: Lost a Javalin to a C Scout.
Spot a Viking Sword.

775 BC: We are really getting a lot of pressure on us: Forces near us is:
5 Viking Swords.
2 Incan Scouts, 3 Horses, 2 Warrior.
10 Iroquois Archers.

IBT: Lose Jav to a Horse in Tikal which causes a riot.

750 BC: Some attacks from our side reduce forces a bit, but mostly we are defending vs the attacks.

Notes:
Still 5 turns to writing.
RNG of the next IBT will make a big difference.

I've got it.

That looks like too many enemy units when we don't have swords or cats, but I'll see what I can do.

Good luck NP.
Looks like your going to need it. :lol:

We lost Tikal to some awful RNG results on the first IT, but recaptured it--minus the pre-build, of course--two turns later. The situation is still desperate, but I became sufficiently interested to play out the round rather than giving up, so it's taking some time. I'll post within twenty-four hours or so.

750 (0): We get truly putrid RNG luck at Tikal, with our various enemies going 6-1 in their attacks although I don't think a single one of them was at better than even odds (1-6). The town falls.

This was always going to be a hard game, but the situation would look quite different in the short term if we'd built walls in Tikal before starting the GLib there. Walls for the pre-build city are not an optional measure in games of this kind.

At walled, army-held Calakmul we go 7-0 against our enemies, gaining three slaves (8-6).

730 (1): We move four JT next to Tikal, which we may be able to re-take, since it was captured by the Incas, who have fewer units in the area than the Iroquois.

710 (2): We liberate Tikal from three mostly depleted Inca units, gaining a slave (11-6).

We pick off a Chasqui Scout next to Palenque, an Inca archer outside Tikal, and an Ir archer next to CI (14-6).

Our army disposes of two enemies around Calakmul, gaining a slave (16-6).

We lose a warrior in the woods south of Tikal (16-7).

690 (3): Our army overruns ar Ir archer near Calakmul (17-7).

We pack units into Tikal, where another wave of attacks is in prospect.

This time our luck is good defending Tikal, as we go 6-1, also redlining and retreating three fast Inca units, and gain four slaves (23-8).

We dispose of four Incan units around Tikal, and of two Ir archers in the east (29-8).

670 (4): We smite five enemies around Tikal and two on the eastern front (CI and Calakmul), gaining two slaves (36-8).

At Tikal we lose an elite JT to the attack of a CS, maddeningly, as well as a warrior just outside the city (36-10).

Writing --> Literature, despite the loss of the pre-build in Tikal. I'm a diehard about trying for the GLib, but if the team prefers to change this choice, five turns more or less in getting to Math/cats won't decide the game.

650 (5): We slay three foes around Tikal and two in the east, gaining a slave (41-10).

We lose another JT holding Tikal, then finally complete walls there, with the aid of a forest chop (41-11).

630 (6): We grind down a stack of four Ir archers next to CI, as well as a nearby Viking swordsman (46-11). We gain two slaves.

Outside Tikal we strike down an Inca warrior but lose a JT (47-12).

610 (7): In the east we deal with three Ir archers and gain two slaves, but lose a JT (50-13).

One Viking swordsman falls attacking CI, while a second defeats one of our JT (51-14).

590 (8): Enemy units are threatening five of our cities, and we we can't properly garrison--or defend by attacking--nearly that many. We're reduced to hoping for good luck...

...which we get, for the moment, as the Incas split their fast-unit attacks up in an ineffective way, losing three units while another two redline and retreat (54-14). We gain a slave. A lot of other enemy units choose to move rather than attack.

570 (9): We liquidate four enemies around Copan and CI (58-14).

Our curragh reverses course, after spotting a light-blue border along the west coast.

The Incas concentrate on Bonampak this turn, and we shatter four of their fast units, redlining and retreating another, for the loss of one JT (62-15).

The Irs are building the Hanging Gardens (= Monarchy), and the Incas the Mausoleum (= Philosophy).

550 (10): We spear three foes around Bonampak (one slave), three around CI (one slave; one JT lost), one around Copan (one slave), and five around Calakmul (four slaves; 74-16).

Fourteen elite victories this round, four of them defensive, didn’t generate a Great Leader. We don’t have HE, of course.

Seventy-two JT victories produced twenty-four slaves—normal expectation exactly.

We have a new pre-build going in Copan, and I’d like to persist with this game until we get the GLib, fail to get it, or start losing cities. We’re actually under less pressure now than at any time during my round. But if the team doesn’t want to spend any more time on what’s plainly a long shot, that’s all right too.

Our western cities are totally ungarrisoned. It would be nice to get a couple of JT over there, though easier said than done, no doubt. ;)

The three workers in the forest just north of Quirigua are there due to a mis-click.

The warrior build in Tikal is intentional, since we need MP units.

Top Bottom