Great People

Good point, attach a Great Commander to a Hero or King and that's a way overpowered unit.
We've got enough special military people, so we can get rid of it.

Undecided about the spy. I don't the espionage system is going to work within the context of Arda, so we might want to leave it out.

I agree that it doesn't really fit. I am a bit biased though, I always turn espionage off in normal Civ games anyway because I don't like having to think about that along with everything else.

Done then. I think we will just leave out the Great Spy and the espionage system. Perhaps one day we can come up with something special for it, but deffinately not in the first few releases. I am updating the firspost to reflect this decision.

There is a way we could have the Great Commander still, if we want it.

#1: Build a Military Academy (+15% Unit Production Speed, +5% City Defence (all of those recruits/trainees in the City).

#2: Become a Military Instructor (granting +1 or +2 XP to units built in that city, Limited to 1 per city).

#3: Attaches to a Unit but only grants +1 or +2 XP as the Military Instructor.

If it is a no, do we consider the list as Finalized except for specific Great Person names?

Maybe we could drop the xp's alltogether (or indeed only 1/2) and have it enable some specific Commander promotions (though captians would probably have access to these promotions as well, making the attaching more usefull earlier in the game.)

Probably drop the unattaching as well.

That is an idea Sengir. I would recomend it being something the Captain does not get However. Perhpas it is only 1 Promotion that it offers though.

So:

#1: Build a Military Academy (+15% Unit Production Speed, +5% City Defence (all of those recruits/trainees in the City).

#2: Become a Military Instructor (granting +1 or +2 XP to units built in that city, Limited to 1 per city).

#3: Attaches to a Unit but only grants 1 Promotion.

I have a proposal. As far as I know, the mages were "The Great People" of the LOTR world.
Maybe have a great person like a great mage, resembling a lesser mage and not have mages buildable.
This is simply becouse in the LOTR world, mages are not that comon as in the FFH world.

That is possible I suppose. We are tending this towards an extremely "Magic Light" game though. Also, I think we are going to have a wonder buildable that would allow the Istari as special Hero/Istari Units. So, thoughts on this new suggestion by PPQ Purple?

Wonder/Project for Istari sounds better I think, since we are indeed going magic-light.

(The new Magic Lite! /commercial_parody)

#3: Attaches to a Unit but only grants 1 Promotion.

My specific idea for this line of thought is:

1 Promotion, but also, it is the only way to get that particular promotion. Perhaps it is the Leadership? one that gives the +100% XP to the unit? That would be the only promotion that the Great Commander gives. Which makes sence given its name.

So it is now decision time:

#1: Implement this idea of Great Commander in; or do not include the Great Commander.

#2: Consider adding in Great Mage as a Great Person as per PPQ Purple's suggestion?

Does anyone other than Maiar use technical 'magic' at all? If some did, then go with Great Mage, otherwise, leave him out.

Great Commander - I'm fine with having him in strictly for the military academy/Great Military Instructor (if we want to attach him to units we'd have to so underpower him that it would be a waste), though I also am fine with leaving him out entirely.

As to the Magic, yes, others used it. The Elves (who also taught some select stuff to some men), the Istari, and Sauron taught some out. The Nazgul, apparently the Mouth of Sauron was supposed to be quite the Sorcerer. Besides Elves however, I wouldn't say it was all that common.

I don't like the great mage concept. I'm not sure how to include it exactly but for UU and Hero/King units of the civs we can tweak and tune it per unit (Sauron, Witch-King, Mouth of Sauron, Elrond, ...) and for the Istari we really have to see what is the best way to include them. Since we have Isengard as a civ, Saruman is already there anyway. For Gandalf, Radagast and the blue wizards, maybe they can be events or something or maybe a quest you have to fullfill to get one of them (and you can never complete more than one quest so you can never get two wizards for your civ). Also maybe restrict Gandalf to good, Radagast to neutral and the blue wizards to neutral and evil? Or something to that effect.

Top Bottom