Great Persons thread

Opera

Deity
I thought it would be somewhat wise to create a new thread in order to gather pictures and thoughts about the great persons.

As we discussed in the Orbis History & Lore thread, some GPs need to be removed and replaced because they are now minor leaders (quite a promotion). I tried to make a comprehensive list of GPs that got promoted:

Bards
Furia the Made (Balseraphs)
Melisandre (Balseraphs)​

Commanders
Captain Ostanes (Hippus)
Captain Uldanor (Hippus)
Averax the Cambion (Sheaim)
Tethira (Bannor)
Rivanna the Wraith Lord (Svartalfar)​

Prophets
Gosea (Sheaim)​

Sages
Tya Kiri (Amurites)
Thessalonica (Elohim)
Malchavic (Sheaim)​

Adventurers
Volanna (Svartalfar)​

So this means that the total would drop to:
Bards: 18/20
Commanders: 15/20 (+2 iirc from Arkham)
Engineers: 20/20 (no changes here)
Merchants: 20/20 (no changes here)
Prophets: 19/20
Sages: 17/20
Adventurers: 19/20​

Of course, the 20 limit is the original; it can be ignored.

Now, thoughts: according to my games, the more GPs generated are the bards, the prophets and the commanders. I very rarely see any engineer or adventurer. The latter is quite rare because of the tiny adventurer points the Grigori get but that's another topic.

I plan on adding some more GPs along with my Ngomele civilization. No accurate idea yet but at least 3 and maybe up to 6.

Arkham felt we could add more accurate, lorefitting pictures to some GPs. Need discussion I guess.

Other than that, I think that anyone has the possibility to add a GP. Simply get a 384*128 picture, a name and a quotation.
So, for now, we need:
2 bards
5 commanders
1 prophet
2 sages
1 adventurer​

I'll edit this post with people's submission :goodjob:

Bard: Arkham (Balseraph)

Adventurer: Seon :p, just joking, no idea there :scratches head:

Proposed by Arkham:

Unspecified type:
Spoiler :

Great Sages:
Spoiler :

Great Prophets:
Spoiler :

Great Merchants:
Spoiler :

Great Commanders:
Spoiler :

Great Engineers:
Spoiler :

The last one seems more like an Adventurer than a Engineer :p

Here are my three gnoll GPs; I don't yet their type:
Spoiler :
Hasher Fiery-Pelt:

Gwu Khang of the Wuyo:

Mdiri the Dexterous:

Attachments

• GP1 (mage).png
    GP1 (mage).png
    95.9 KB · Views: 408
  • GP2 (archer).png
    GP2 (archer).png
    79.3 KB · Views: 391
  • GP3 (daggers).png
    GP3 (daggers).png
    84.7 KB · Views: 379
Proposed by Arkham - Unspecified type

Actually they are specified. If you call them up in the original Orbis Lore thread, all of mine have GP-type+artist-name as their file name so in order they are.

Great Merchant
Great Bard
Great Bard
Great General/Commander
Great Merchant
Great Sage...although with the steampunk flavor perhaps should be changed to an engineer since we have more sage pics than engineers in fantasy art.
Last 3 are all Great Generals/Commanders.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the legality of using artwork found on the internet so I always try to put the name of the artist in the file name so they can be credited which, if I recall, covers our base. Not that I really think a fantasy artist would sue a bunch of modders who are not getting any money out of this but hey, it's best to be professional about things.

Oh and regarding the engineer looking like an adventurer, well I forgot they get their own pop-ups or I'd have made her one as well. I was sort of thinking of the Mechanos's blimps and zeppelins and thinking she was using the bird to do experiments with wings/wind and that sort of aerodynamics type thing.

UPDATE: Actually in looking at the #1 G-Mer, I think that would be another good adventurer...especially if you look at the full picture. Seeing just the tail of the dragon to me looks like a 'medieval' Riply is about to turn around and put the smack-down on the Alien(tm) xenomorph!

Sorry to be such a n00b about this, but I thought each entry for a GP would have a artwork tied to it. However, as I mentioned before, I recently saw Great Generals with the same artwork. Is it simply that Ahwaric just re-used art on later GP's since he didn't have enough or if a GP has 'unassigned' art, the program just goes back and uses the art from the beginning of that GP's list? (For example, Great Sage 18-20 has no art so they'd use art from 1-3?)

Beyond digging through the code, is there a list of all the GP's?

I must say the Great Prophet pictures just scream Malikim prophet, Lojosolfar prophet and Bannor prophet.

Hmmm, Arkham as a Great Bard...I'm not sure if this pic would fit...

At least it has a caption: "You sent me all the way to Afghanistan and all you give me is non-alcoholic beer? :lol:

Sorry to be such a n00b about this, but I thought each entry for a GP would have a artwork tied to it. However, as I mentioned before, I recently saw Great Generals with the same artwork. Is it simply that Ahwaric just re-used art on later GP's since he didn't have enough or if a GP has 'unassigned' art, the program just goes back and uses the art from the beginning of that GP's list? (For example, Great Sage 18-20 has no art so they'd use art from 1-3?)

I must say the Great Prophet pictures just scream Malikim prophet, Lojosolfar prophet and Bannor prophet.
Actually, 20-21-22 share the same picture. Don't know why though. Anyway, let me explain with a bit more depth:

When a GP is created, a random unique name is chosen in the list at the start of the relevant UnitInfo (Great Prophet, Great Merchant, etc.). This unique name is tied to an ID, a number between 1 and X, X being mostly 20 in the current mods that use it. When one ID is used, it cannot be used anymore in the current game. So, when all ID are used for one UnitInfo, then the game just don't pop-up anything; you just see "A Great XXX is born in XXX". It's possible to have two similar pictures only because two or more ID share the same picture.

I'm eager to see what you have to write about those. Not sure they would all be added, though. I think we may need to find balance between all the GP types; not having 27 commanders when there's only 18 bards, for example.

Finally, a thought about the gnoll ones? :p

Finally, a thought about the gnoll ones? :p

Actually today I am trying to do things like doing my 3+ hours for the Census and applying for federal work online so I'm actually (gasp) to busy for gaming for a change. :eek:

I will get to it though. However, I'm thinking I need to go through the gnoll thread and read everything prior to trying to write anything.

One thing, at least, is that I've been able to copy the XML for GP's so at least it's mostly a copy and paste thing for Ahwaric. :goodjob:

Actually today I am trying to do things like doing my 3+ hours for the Census and applying for federal work online so I'm actually (gasp) to busy for gaming for a change. :eek:

I will get to it though. However, I'm thinking I need to go through the gnoll thread and read everything prior to trying to write anything.

One thing, at least, is that I've been able to copy the XML for GP's so at least it's mostly a copy and paste thing for Ahwaric. :goodjob:
Oh, but I was just asking a thought about their artwork. I personally want to write most of the entries about the gnolls. I have some ideas of who they are, so... But if you want to add other gnolls, do it :)

Oh, but I was just asking a thought about their artwork. I personally want to write most of the entries about the gnolls. I have some ideas of who they are, so... But if you want to add other gnolls, do it :)

I'm thinking it's probably going to be hard to find enough artwork for Great Bards. That and most of the artwork has them looking rather cranky and mean! :eek:

I have a bunch of files to use for GPs, some of which would make good bards I think. I'll upload them later tonight :)

Okay, I took a break and did these great prophets

To me it looks like prophets to OO, Fol and one preachy the word of Bhial.

I must say this if often harder than it looks since so much makers of fantasy art must labor under the idea that fantasy art women have to have uncovered breasts. =/

Yes, typical ain't it ? If you see some of the "armour" some of 'em woman in fantasy art are bearing, you ask yourself: Why hasn't she frozen to death ?

Oh, I love the second one. Used it for creating an Archos leader for FF :)

I agree with you on women. It has been hard to find an interesting art for Mahala, a "barbarian" girl with some armor! Some crazy thing to hope for on the internet. At least, her breasts are covered, even though her belly isn't.

If there is one thing that Anthropology has taught me is to be respectful of other culture's traditions, rituals, and apparel...

Actually they are specified. If you call them up in the original Orbis Lore thread, all of mine have GP-type+artist-name as their file name so in order they are.
It would be best if you add a note which specific greatp person the art should go to. I know you do not like some of them, but which ones exactly?
Most of the work is to actually decide which one goes where... Also, it allows for checking if more than one person (me) thinks the art is right.
Anyway, I'm not sure of the legality of using artwork found on the internet so I always try to put the name of the artist in the file name so they can be credited which, if I recall, covers our base. Not that I really think a fantasy artist would sue a bunch of modders who are not getting any money out of this but hey, it's best to be professional about things.
We do not get any money, and I am always willing to remove art if asked by the artist. I just hope they do not :)

I think it would be best both for legality reasons and forum rules if you just post a link to the full, uncut art.
Also, uncut one means I can cut it to better fit the bevel effect in case I add it. Right now, I am quite limited by the small pictures.

So, I need name of person and link to a picture (full) you think fits.

Sorry to be such a n00b about this, but I thought each entry for a GP would have a artwork tied to it. However, as I mentioned before, I recently saw Great Generals with the same artwork. Is it simply that Ahwaric just re-used art on later GP's since he didn't have enough or if a GP has 'unassigned' art
I was in a hurry to release patch d and decided that art for great generals can wait. Also, they are your generals and I will wait till you decide which art to give them. ;)
So I just copied art link from the great general #20.
Check this thread
I am not sure if the pictures are the same as the ones that finally got to great person mod. To be sure you need to check xml. As you have acces to Office 2007 (which I think is much better than 2003 BTW), I recommend just checking in the Orbis editor.

Mechanics was explained by Opera already and I have nothing to add to it.
Remeber that no great people are tied to specific civ/religion. So elven one can be born in demon lands and found AV shrine.
Hmmm, Arkham as a Great Bard...I'm not sure if this pic would fit...

At least it has a caption: "You sent me all the way to Afghanistan and all you give me is non-alcoholic beer? :lol:
LOL Need to think about it :)

I'm eager to see what you have to write about those. Not sure they would all be added, though. I think we may need to find balance between all the GP types; not having 27 commanders when there's only 18 bards, for example.
But we need to keep in mind how many GP of each class are typicaslly born. In Ffh and FF great commanders are rare, but in Orbis they are probably the most common GP, followed by bards and probably prophwets. Engineers and especially merchants are less common. But some balance is needed.
Yes, typical ain't it ? If you see some of the "armour" some of 'em woman in fantasy art are bearing, you ask yourself: Why hasn't she frozen to death ?
I do not mind half (or fully ;)) naked women, especially if there is any cultural (or climatic) reason for it.
But the infamous chainmail bikini and simillar armor is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. Chainmail on bare body, without padded armor below? And that is supposed to be a protection?
And on top of that add a snowy ladscape in the background... The chilling metal on bare breasts... :eek:

I do not mind half (or fully ) naked women, especially if there is any cultural (or climatic) reason for it.
Good to know ;)

Here are four of my GPs. Two bards, one commander and one merchant.
(full uncut art for later)

Attachments

• Bard01.png
    Bard01.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Bard02.png
    Bard02.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Commander01.png
    Commander01.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Merchant01.png
    Merchant01.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 94
Ahwaric,

First off, I keep all the original artwork. However, not knowing the space limitations of the CivFanatics Forum, I have just been posting the edited file. Most of the artwork I've sent comes from much bigger pictures and it takes a lot of work to get a good 384x128 capture.

If you like, private message me your email and I'll email you all my artwork. I have a lot that would make nice leader pics for minor leaders.

As for the line about "screams Malikim prohpet" I meant that when I write the tag-line that goes with it, I'd write them as if those prophets came from those societies. I realize everyone gets any random GP.

All the artwork I've gotten so far is a 'secondary' site that lists buckets of artwork. So far I've gone through 36 pages of 155! -http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/gallery.pl?genre=2

If you like, private message me your email and I'll email you all my artwork. I have a lot that would make nice leader pics for minor leaders.
Can I be a bit . .. .. .. .. .y and ask to wait until I released some of my new minor leaders? It's a huge lot of work and it wouldn't be nice if all I did was in vain :p Or else, let's create a new minor leaders thread!

Can I be a bit . .. .. .. .. .y and ask to wait until I released some of my new minor leaders? It's a huge lot of work and it wouldn't be nice if all I did was in vain :p Or else, let's create a new minor leaders thread!

I said I have a lot of leader artwork. Didn't say I have any leaders to go with them! :lol:

Top Bottom