[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Small question: Can you use the Waraq'aq to take cities? (do they count as melee units?)
No, however the abilities to move after shooting and ignore terrain allow these 3MP troops to double rank fire which is rather blistering, just have a chariot or warrior nearby.
Remember, the idea now is not to take a city fast but to pillage everything it has, this will probably earn you more than the city ever would.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Canada is actually an amazing Classical era warmonger. If you get a few of their double yield iron mines on tundra, you can pump out swordsmen faster than anyone. The only civs that can compete are others with cheaper/resource-free unique units. Or Hungary abusing levied troop upgrades.

With Inca it is not about the mountain tiles, they just slow you down, terraced fams on hills is good enough and rush your way to Waraq’aq then the world is yours. Definitely a war civ.
true, but it was also flat peninsula, really nothing to work with.. same for first game, on tile with two hammers, low food: +2 nothing beyond, one lux.. horrible start.

Strange, I just got a Special Session of the World Congress called in Turn 188 for a Chinese city I conquered like 100 turns earlier...

Strange, I just got a Special Session of the World Congress called in Turn 188 for a Chinese city I conquered like 100 turns earlier...
Yes, this happens often, the emergency sits there because no-one chooses a vote on it. No time-out, no forced vote. You will see it in your alerts. Click and it says you do not have enough votes, so it may be about that.

I understand why, but it's still dumb.
I think it's a bug because multiplayer games can get broken because of it (no duplicate leaders allowed).

Ridiculous improvements and units are the game's way of telling you to end it already.
Well I was trying to but there's no way to make the next World Congress session come faster unfortunately.

And I have no problem with Seasteads being strong, but their use is just completely mindless. There is no real reason why you would have Fisheries over them. Not to mention they all face the same way and look very unattractive when lined up.

I would reduce their food output to 1, and remove their ability to be placed on Ocean tiles and adjacent to other Seasteads. The +2 Housing boost alone is enough to justify their creation.

There should definitely be a way to force another world leader vote for a high favor cost. So you can speed up the victory when you are crazy ahead with diplomatic favor.

Right now its so much slower than science or culture

So in the mid-late game I'm getting -20 relations against three or four AI for having "different governments" since switching to Democracy (none of them, as far as I can tell, have Ideologue). Is this not a bit excessive? Particularly when it applies to those who have chosen more advanced governments, i.e. it's punishing me for being more advanced. Perhaps it's the game's way of having AIs hate me because I'm far ahead but it feels a bit silly, and not very realistic, to blame it on my having a form of government that they haven't even discovered yet.

Wow, barbarians are OUT OF CONTROL. Domination game, from turn 40ish onwards to the end of the game turn 200ish, I cleared 60ish barbarian camps.
One camp every two and a half turns (all numbers aprox). That 3K gold from those camps was hard earned.

Yes, this happens often, the emergency sits there because no-one chooses a vote on it. No time-out, no forced vote. You will see it in your alerts. Click and it says you do not have enough votes, so it may be about that.

I assume that these show up on the World Congress screen in some way?

I understand why, but it's still dumb.
Well, in my game both Eleonores counts as the same leader. So if you have "No duplicate leaders" checked during game creation, Eleonore can't spawn as France and England. There is also a new check box called "no duplicate civilizations" (or whatever it is called in english) which would exclude Eleonore if Victoria is already in the game (and vice versa)
So maybe next time check if those options are enabled when creating a game.

On setting 2, I've seen some sort of weather every other turn, just not usually near me. Had 3 Catastrophic Flood on a river between myself and St. Petersburg, so I had to kick Peter out. AI Mail's warmongering and forward settling everybody but me, thanks to an economic alliance. We've had two of the resolution that gives somebody an extra trade route, and Mali's voted for me twice. Probably for the +4 gold per route to me.

The Settler lens isn't working for me, everything's teal. I've read that turning down AA will fix the problem, but mine was already disabled.

Ive tried a few random starts to look at positions. As others have noted, Mali is weird, with often little desert. Incas seem to get fantastic mountain starts. Hungary also seems to get multiple rivers from the small sample size Ive tried.

With Inca it is not about the mountain tiles, they just slow you down, terraced fams on hills is good enough and rush your way to Waraq’aq then the world is yours. Definitely a war civ.

If there is a large mountain range you can literally just teleport through it with the incan tunnel, it's pretty crazy how fast you can move if the mountains are set up right

Finished my first GS game. Almost won a diplomatic victory (Was at 9/10 but another civ won a diplomatic vote which knocked me back down to 8/10). Won the new science victory a couple turns later, in 2004 AD as the Maori.

A couple more observations now that I have played through the entire game:
- with a science rate around 500/turn, I still breezed through the new future era techs. I was still researching "future tech" over and over again waiting for the science victory to finish.
- The new science victory is only a science victory because the final requirement requires that you research basically the entire tech tree including the new future era techs. But it is still a production victory in a lot of ways because to accelerate it, you just spam the laser project in your cities with a space port. In some ways, it still feels like a drag because you have to do a lot of repetitive projects. With good production, it's easy but very repetitive.
- The Diplomatic victory is more interesting because it's not so straightforward. If you have a large empire, it is easy to win diplomatic points because you will easily win the "natural disaster aid" resolutions by spamming the "send aid" project. But the AI will outvote you in the diplomatic votes so you do need to get a lot of diplomatic favor than anyone else.
- Recommissioning nuclear plants feels like unnecessary micromanagement because you are constantly having to watch and make sure you recommission every 15 turns or so to avoid a meltdown.
- Climate change will runaway easily. I had a bunch of coal plants early on, switched to nuclear but climate change still raced to the last stage pretty quickly. However, even at stage 7 or whatever, it's not that hard on you if you are prepared. The only annoying thing was the natural disasters wrecking my tiles all the time. But you should win the game by then anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore.
- Gold is king or at least in my Maori game, it was. I was running around 500 gold per turn. I wasn't spending it so by the late game I had accumulated 20,000 gold!!!! Suffice to say production was irrelevant. I only used production for the space projects and nuclear plant recommission. And the space projects, I was rushing with builders.

i love this game it needs tweeks but that is normal, my first tweek would be the colouring of the religious screen it is so brighty and heavely colouredthat i can not discern anything when it is on, you should bem able to see where enemy religious units are at least

Top Bottom