[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

The Inca are bananas. Terrace farms + active volcanoes = great yields + lots of dead citizens.

As my game is progressing, I'm feeling pretty confident in my ability to clinch a science victory with the Inca. Nobody is attacking me, I have an amazing infrastructure, and very little looks like it will thwart my plans at all. Truly everything is looking great!

Or was until I discovered I forgot to change the difficulty and it's defaulted to "Prince." >_<

*sigh* Guess I'll restart.

If there is a large mountain range you can literally just teleport through it with the incan tunnel, it's pretty crazy how fast you can move if the mountains are set up right
IKR but if you do not have a mountain, you do not need a tunnel.

Well, in my game both Eleonores counts as the same leader. So if you have "No duplicate leaders" checked during game creation, Eleonore can't spawn as France and England. There is also a new check box called "no duplicate civilizations" (or whatever it is called in english) which would exclude Eleonore if Victoria is already in the game (and vice versa)
So maybe next time check if those options are enabled when creating a game.
Both those options were checked, and I still got two Eleanors.

I have played a bit more now, and I must say, the Inca are really, really strong. I currently have a lead of 16 techs on my closest competitor (36 vs 20), having completely eclipsed everyone. Nubia did launch a surprisingly decent military assault (combining land and sea units) at one point, but other than that, I have had little trouble.

Nazca Lines are allright.

Nazca Lines are powerful alright, in my image below Jenne has flat desert tiles with up to 3 food, 3 production and 3 faith each. (with no Petra!)

Spoiler :
Nazca.png

This world congress vote:
'100% of the city state's yield when sending trade routes to a city-state of this type'
Does anyone know what this does exactly? Does it just double the envoy bonus? Surely not double global science output for having a trade route with science CS...

From what they spoke in the announcement videos I was under impression you could actually name terrain features, as in enter the name yourself. But I didnt find any way to do that, all the rivers and mountains I discover get named automatically according to my civ. Is there a way to actually name them?
I don't think so. I watched a number of preview videos too, and I don't remember the devs saying we could name them directly. But I imagine this might be amenable to modding? It would be great to have a Mod that allowed us to change in-game names.

Playing my Incan game on Emperor just to get used to the mechanics and there are NO barbarians on my continent from the beginning until where I am now (200 turns in). They just never spawned at all on my land mass. I have them on because I found some as soon as I got cartography and started to explore but it's weird because I have had none.

Wanted to give Freleanor a try. Had some early free culture from hills dyes and cs meets. # different civs ended up forward settling Paris. Eventually I had 4 archers and 2 swordsmen standing guard. Walled it up and took the military tech for extra defensive strength/city attack. Was going to turtle it out, get some great works, and see if I couldn't hit a golden age and flip a ton of cities.

And then Nubia attacked. She shredded my defenders but the city itself gave her fits. But eventually the catapults showed up and Paris fell.

This was immortal. She actually only had a couple of her UU but also had an assortment of cavalry type units (the new light cavalry, knights, and a few old horsemen)

AI early rushes have consistently gotten better. Unfortunately, they still fail often enough, and the AI then flounders for the rest of the game.

So, I've been playing a leisurely first game and have the chance for a science victory, so my exoplanet expedition is away and NOW I've got to wait 50 turns to learn if I won?

Who at Firaxis thought this was a good idea?

Meanwhile there's an good chance I'll be sniped by some other form of victory, diplo, culture, etc.

Look on the bright side, at least you get half of your half (Mali production malus) back

They don't have a malus for building wonders. Though they still suffer from the -1 production on mines. I probably wouldn't even attempt any on higher levels, but I had no problem building them on King.

I've got to wait 50 turns to learn if I won?

This project can be sped up significantly. It's not 50 turns.

The AI seems to turtle within their cities while building the thickest walls they can afford. Tedious to try and take down a 400 pt wall with anything less than artillery or rocket artillery.

Is it just me or does the music completely stop at times? Also, secret visibility now reveals the produced item in the civ's capital, while top secret reveals it in all of them?

Top Bottom