[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

No, they just boost each other while being unworkable.

Finished my first game as Canada. Lost to a Sweden Culture Victory. I was going diplomatic. Had 9 DP, next turn an Emergency was to finish, and I had the lead by a huge margin (5000 gold), but they won it. Several times, the AI conspired to block my victories. Great playthru.

Is it just me or does the music completely stop at times? Also, secret visibility now reveals the produced item in the civ's capital, while top secret reveals it in all of them?

Had that happen a few times usually after getting a great work of music strangely. Another thing I learned is that when you reach Secret and Top Secret visibility not only can you see what is being produced in a city banner, you can view the AI city's City Details menu by clicking on the "city of" icon (left most icon) in the city banner.

This project can be sped up significantly. It's not 50 turns.

Just discovered the projects to speed the exoplanet expedition up, weren't available/visible/or I missed them before I posted. Thx for the info.

UPDATE: Did manage to win a Science Victory with Eleanor of Aquitaine, England. So everything worked out in the end!

Last edited:
I suspect Hungary's wonderful CS-using Unique is being Nerfed by never letting them start near a CS: in 3 'sample' games, playing a total of 120 turns, I never found a City State before the 20th turn, and in one game never found a City State at all after almost 50 turns of Scouting! All 3 of these games were on Pangaea maps, so the City States had to be there somewhere, but nowhere near the Hungarian start position. 3 is a pretty small sample size, so I will keep experimenting with this.

I found out the same starting as Hungary in 2 games hadnt found any city states within 100 turns. something just felt wrong about it

Okay, trying to figure out some things here. I'm sure you guys can fill me in whether I'm right or wrong:

When vote is coming up in the world congress, I don't have a way to know what agendas are going to be on the table before it arrives?

Diplomatic visibility doesn't help me know what other civ's are going to vote?

I can't actually bribe other civ's to vote a certain way. I just spend whatever diplo favor I have accrued?

And regarding canals, they don't provide any inherent bonuses above and beyond allowing a ship passage? I mean, if my city has a tile between it and my harbor, all the canal will do is allow a ship to sit inside the city center?

Okay, trying to figure out some things here. I'm sure you guys can fill me in whether I'm right or wrong:

When vote is coming up in the world congress, I don't have a way to know what agendas are going to be on the table before it arrives?

Diplomatic visibility doesn't help me know what other civ's are going to vote?

I can't actually bribe other civ's to vote a certain way. I just spend whatever diplo favor I have accrued?

And regarding canals, they don't provide any inherent bonuses above and beyond allowing a ship passage? I mean, if my city has a tile between it and my harbor, all the canal will do is allow a ship to sit inside the city center?
Agendas are random, though you have an idea since most of them are era specific. You can see what other civs are going to vote if you have top secret access (not 100% sure on this, but I've seen what allies are going to vote several times). You can't influence other civs. All canals do are allow you access to bodies of water and give a slight boost to trade routes passing through them. Very useless imo.

Rock bands are kinda cool. I really like that they speed up the culture victory. They make the culture victory much more active now. You are not just passively waiting for your tourism to win anymore. I also really appreciate that the culture victory screen now tells you exactly how many turns until you win.

Sweden plays a pretty boring early game. But you get Caroleans and Open-Air Museums about the same time. And you can finally start getting great works in the QB. Things get very interesting. Getting 10 more culture in each city makes you zoom through the civic tree.

Sweden plays a pretty boring early game. <>
Isn't that up to you. Or are all civs that doesn't have much of useful abilities early on boring?

Sure, you right that the special things for Sweden comes late (and they are good). In my Sweden game I was aiming for a diplo-win but I realized that the culture-win will probably happen before that so I gave up that idea and went all in for culture instead.

In my other game (of two) I played Inca and tried for a diplo-win but was constantly down-voted ...
Spoiler by the :
Zulu. They where taken out later on (not by me) so another civ was probably also annoyed by Zulu the Peacemonger

I think that's just RNG. I had many nearby city-states in my Hungary game.

I'd agree with this.
I had 1 game when I had suzerained all 3 CS on my continent before I met Hungary and dealt with them fairly easily.
Another playing as Hungary I'd suzerained 2 CS and met another 4 when I went to war. The AI hadn't suzerained any.
If you play as Hungary explore and try and fulfill CS quests, it pays off. I also ended up running 2 diplomatic policies with Hungary until I'd sent my 1st envoy to every CS on my continent, something I wouldn't bother with most other civs.

Isn't that up to you. Or are all civs that doesn't have much of useful abilities early on boring?

Sure, you right that the special things for Sweden comes late (and they are good).

I just mean that their early game is pretty standard aside from an emphasis on Oracle, Great Library, and Apandana.

I also really appreciate that the culture victory screen now tells you exactly how many turns until you win.

Spotted that myself but the number kept jumping up and down, 14 turns to victory, 0 turns (no win), then 16 turns!

Sweden plays a pretty boring early game. But you get Caroleans and Open-Air Museums about the same time. And you can finally start getting great works in the QB. Things get very interesting. Getting 10 more culture in each city makes you zoom through the civic tree.
The real fun starts when you build that Queen’s Biblioteque with 6 auto-themed slots, make Hermitage actually useful, and laugh at other AI’s attempts at amassing favor while you get +50 from effectively doing nothing. Oh, and the rigged Nobel Prizes, if you got your GPP churning machine set up by that time.

SO, I gave Liang the promotion to protect my tiles from environmental effects. Handy, given that I have a volcano that seems overly activ.e

The ability did not work, at least not completely. A tile was still pillaged, and population still lost. It's right next to the city too, so there's no question that it was owned by that city. Still, at least my IZ didn't get damaged.

Maybe the ability should read "cannot be damaged by environmental effects...mostly!"

I'm not really sure how "tie-breaking" is decided in WC.... anyone know the mechanism?

For example player's district X culture bomb proposal, everyone spends one vote for themselves... then it turns out that I always get it. Is it always in favor of the player or is it random?

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like the tie goes to the player. No idea how this works in multiplayer.

As I understand it, the first tiebreaker is who spent the highest percentage of their available favour buying votes.

If everyone only cast one vote, though, then nobody bought a vote and so everyone's tiebreaker ratio is zero.

At that stage, my guess is the winner is the lowest number civ, who will always be the player in single-player.

I assume that these show up on the World Congress screen in some way?
I thought I would play another game and show it because it seems to be every game. I think I have found the cause at the bottom of the post
I took the town of Biruta in about T50
I just restored back 10 turns to T78 from when the Biruta Emergency finally pops in T87.
You can see I have taken Biruta for a while and it is T78 but there is no world congress and in this case no alert for it either
upload_2019-2-17_1-24-51.png

Turn 86 I get a warning that a session is about to run
upload_2019-2-17_1-21-35.png

Turn 87 and look at the emergency... so the emergency is 35-40 turns old before it is activated. and has 2 emergency members
upload_2019-2-17_1-18-28.png

So... now I think about it more... this emergency triggers as soo as the medieval era occurs.... so it looks like and early emergency that sits and waits for the medieval era... Looks like they forgot about early emergencies messing things up

Top Bottom