Guided emperor game

diegobueno

Chieftain
Short story, motivated by Undefeatable, returned to challenge the emperor difficulty that feels like a totally different game, maintenance costs, inflation are very high.
Seems like a race up currency / alpha, and wars are very productive in the first 30-50 turns when you can steal workers and annoy a ia so it does not expand.
4/5 games won to date, random leaders, 2 of them Inca, suleiman, petter, and loss the sury game on Nobles club.
I try to improve my game, all criticism is accepted.

random leader: willem van oranje

played once during noble-prince dificult, a long time ago.
cre (no need for sh, monument) quick library-theatre-colosseum
financial, nuff said

starting techs fishing, situational - agiculture, nice

ub dike, amazing on paper, a "free" moai on every coast city, requires steam power
uu east indiaman, 6 strg 4 space transport, can explore rival territory and also 4 space means less boats more troops. situational? not as early as the portuguese carrack, can somehow defend themselves i think, requires astro

MAP: coast start, plains cow on sight; plains river, 3 hills.
gold nearby, but with dessert and jungle next to it.
i can sip, 1n or on ph.

------------------------
Spoiler turn 0 :
settle 1N, pigs on city radius, 10 coast tiles, 2 hills, horses on capital, no seafood :sad:, maybe moai+dike+ironworks later on this city and move the capital to a cottage place?

build: worker->warrior->warrior->warrior->settler
tech path: AH->mining->masonry->the weel->

------------------------
Spoiler turn 35 :

turn 35 my 1st settler is out, at this point and looking for the land i like the idea of the GLH,
marble and stone next to my cap but opposite sides, i can settle only 1 at the time, found some fish, plains wheat, rice, and 3 sugar. but tons of jungle.
no one is next to me...
im going maybe for sailing and then bronze, to chop that glh.
from now im gonna pause for advice

I didn't like the idea of settling 1N (prior to seeing the result), as it's just a gamble for ocean fish, which has a low occurrence I think. The land south didn't look great, but plains is better than ocean. And as it turned out, you ruined a good tile by settling on horse, and lost capital BFC marble. But what is done is done.

Unfortunately the land looks quite lucky yucky, and a big shame about the jungled pig. Otherwise that would have been a natural early city. The capital needs the pig you have for all eternity, so I don't like the dot 1S of stone. With creative, you have more leeway in settling locations, so if you want to grab the stone and remain coastal, maybe the forest 2N of wheat is best.

Always a pain to start so close to jungle without another direction to expand, but I hope there is some decent stuff south of the capital. If not, you may actually need to bite the bullet and go for early IW, just to clear some jungle, principally on the west pig. A city over there looks great for cottaging. It messes with your GLH idea, but 2E of pig would grab lots of green tiles (river and hills), and could be a pretty nifty city with cottages and enough food. Grabs marble too, so you can actually work it.

For threads like this, it is usually a good idea to attach the starting save. Have you got it?

Last edited:
Diegobueno: worth restarting, Sip and see how it goes.

I've played this up to c 1100ad, interesting game.

@diegobueno: I agree with @pigswill: start over, SIP and then tech something like AH – BW – sailing – masonry (as suggested by @Anysense). Chances are that there’ll be a few spare worker turns, but early BW will mean you can chop with abandon to get lots of stuff out early, including wonders if you want them. If going this way, my only question would be whether it’s worthwhile timing the settling of a second city to coincide with sailing, for instant trade routes. Hmmm. After that early tech path, my advice would be to think about how to get beakers or commerce (and roads to connect resources). The GLH looks very good here IMO.

Re: your city to the right. The difference between right white dot and 2N of wheat is only one tile to the south east, so maintenance costs aren’t going to change dramatically. More important in my view is that the pigs are by far your capital’s best food source. Your capital’s next best food source is only a plains cow – so I think the bigger issue is that your capital needs to keep those pigs to grow. This makes 2N of wheat the better tile for a city on the right, so the wheat tile will enable your city there to grow onto the gold mine to help boost early research. Remember to irrigate that wheat at civil service too.

Personally, I also prefer left white dot 1S, to capture an extra forested riverside grassland tile 1SW of the marble. (It would also get an extra forested riverside plains tile, which can also be chopped for early production.) That would take away the (jungled) riverside grassland hill and reduce production in the left city, but the capital has plenty of hills it can share for production.

One other point: you look to have plenty of land available to you, given that you’ve met no-one yet. In that case fogbusting becomes important, to keep those pesky barbs at bay. Then again, you have stone…so is the plan to build TGW – as well as The GLH?

Good luck!

Tiles without a resource and without a forest are quite often strategic resources, due to the way the map generator works (especially in a rather meh start with a whole bunch of forests, like this one). Of course, it might be oil...

Top Bottom