Han Jae-Moon

To: Chungsu Director of Special Undertakings

Subject: re: Candidate 37 iso-meditation exceptionalism

Dear Madam,

Per your direction, this office has reviewed the biometric telemetry captured from Candidate 37 during his iso-meditation exercises.

As you are aware, iso-meditation is the practice of organized thought while standing on the abyssal sea plain outside of level Abyssopelagic-0 of the Miruek Bosal Dome. The meditator dresses in a Category 1b diving suit, walks 250 meters from the facility, and then douses the suit’s internal lights and cuts communication to the facility. The absence of terrestrial stimulation and the presence of marine bioluminesce and auditory cues create highly desirable depersonalization and alienation suitable to mediation exercises. Furthermore, iso-mediation usually follows intense periods of physical training, producing powerful exhaustion. Through directed iso-meditation we can reliably produce the idiotypical gamma patterns correlated with strong mental acuity in practitioners.

We are currently experiencing slightly above-predicted losses among our pool of candidates, which we attribute to insufficient screening during the intake process. Of those candidates who have survived, we are experiencing acceptable levels of voluntary turnover and medical-related failure. Appendix F breaks down losses with a complete failure database available for analysis on request. Of those candidates demonstrating exceptional results (p < 0.001), Candidate 37 is clearly performing the best within this group (t = 3.32 among this population).

We agree with aspects of the psychological profile drafted by our colleagues in the Behavioral Prediction Unit. We agree Han Jae Moon is a highly organized, rational, and lateral thinker. We disagree with them on the subject of ego-diminution. Our meta-analysis of telemetry collected during his iso-meditation suggest to us the presence of a powerful, albeit deeply concealed ego (see technical explanation in Appendix G). We cannot guarantee the compliance of Candidate 37 with the greater agenda of Chungsu. We believe there is a strong likelihood that if Candidate 37 were placed in charge of our Seeding expedition, he would implement his own values, objectives, and direction on the expedition, in service of goals which we cannot readily ascertain.

Chungsu&#8217;s entire effort to this point has been to create a cadre whose members would understand and be subservient to the values of this organization. We believe that Candidate 37 is a dangerous candidate to lead this mission precisely because the very traits that allow him to be so successful in the training program also make him immune to the vital ego-diminution necessary to ensure loyalty to Chungsu.

We believe that Candidate 37 has managed to determine the purpose of the Chungsu Directorate of Special Undertakings through inference and analysis. His EEG patterns are consistent with someone possessing metaknowledge of experimental conditions, although we cannot detect any instances where information isolation protocol was violated. We are firmly convinced that he is providing the Directorate exactly what this Directorate seeks.

Our recommendation is that Subject 37, Han Jae Moon, be dismissed from the program immediately and isolated or neutralized humanely until the project comes to completion.

Respectfully submitted,

Dr. Park Jae Moon, Chief

Psychomedical Unit

Chungsu Directorate of Special Undertakings

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Message Undelivered>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Redelivery Failed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ERROR CODE.string: Doctor, you exhaust yourself with idle speculation. My loyalty to Chungsu is beyond question. Perhaps a rest period on the surface is in order? I am concerned only for your health, and preserving the reputation you have earned in your many years of service to Chungsu. Goodbye, Doctor.

Wow... I just noticed.. can someone please translate this?

To an extent yes, but it depends how you define early. Someone lands close enough by that you meet them on turn 10? Still really early for the spy game. If it winds up being more like turn 50+? Then you're right, and it's not as valuable.

Regardless, I always liked playing with everyone landing at once (although the greetings pop ups got old fast), so that may be a case of me generalizing it to my playstyle.

And assuming their one spy can do everything right away, it can sit in HQ and work towards a National Security Project.

Embarrassing question: Where are people finding his faction bonuses listed? Can someone list them officially?

Into what?

It's already in English.

English is not my first language and much of it is a bit hard to understand for me, they use many words I never seen..

Sorry if I'm not as good as you bro..

Embarrassing question: Where are people finding his faction bonuses listed? Can someone list them officially?

The korean website that first revealed this sponsor had a screenshot of the diplo screen with the traits which someone just translated what it said for his character trait.

Beyond Earth has never really been about flattering representations. America is represented by a corporation best known for underhanded tricks, France and Spain have a snobby cultural imperialist, Polynesia and Australia have a con-artist, India is basically a cult, and so on.

Future Earth after the great mistake basically sucks and the factions tend to represent not the highest aspirations of the nations they used to be but rather the most brutal and desperate tactics that they can bring to bear, tempered only slightly by the fact that most leaders seem to genuinely care for the collective wellbeing of their faction or their people more than their own gain. Chungsu is a shade darker than the rest of the factions with a egocentric and manipulative leader, but I don't think it's that different from what we've been seeing so far.
Agreed. And I think Chungsu depicts dystopic Korea well.

I guess it still has to grow on me, and maybe I need to learn more about this guy, but does anybody else think his clothes are a little too "traditional"?

Looking back at all the other leaders, they all have a bit more of a futuristic vibe to them.
I think Firaxis wanted to show his conservative style.

Wait wait.. is this guy confirmed in?! or still could it just be a clever prank?
If posting this guy in Korean media and then Civilization web can be a prank, then it is a clever prank.

I think this is North Korea. They outlasted everybody and now terrorise space

No, His surname should be Kim, or maybe that's Kim's agent. While Han is common surname in South Korean. I like to think North Korea end up unify Korea, change their surname to Han and ban every Korean from doing so. :D

This guy could get serious Fear score through a lot of offensive spying, extra spy, science from missions, use its power for Evil.

plant dirty bombs? maybe. sabotage: I don't even know what that does.

but I plan on playing this guy as an evil spymaster who brings ARC into an alliance by a series of bombs and thefts. FEAR the espionage system.

I really want to play this guy, imagine a world shaking in fear wondering where the next covert attack will take place. I could really get to like this guy.

China gets deeply offended when they are portrayed as the bad guys now (because their leadership is exactly that heh) but a brilliant North Korean Psychopathic leader? That is the stereotype now. :)

That guy is awesome. If I was Korean, my response would be like: &#54988;&#47469;&#54620;

That might get the 'shippers talking. ;)
I cant believe I missed that. :wallbash:
China gets deeply offended when they are portrayed as the bad guys now (because their leadership is exactly that heh) but a brilliant North Korean Psychopathic leader? That is the stereotype now. :)
Yep pretty much, ah china they just don't want to accept it.
Apparently North Korea is the new china and Russia was before that. I wonder who will be the next big bad guy?
That guy is awesome. If I was Korean, my response would be like: &#54988;&#47469;&#54620;
If only I knew what that said. :lol: :thumbsup:
also I require more potatoes it.:crazyeye: :banana:

Correct if I'm wrong but they mentioned in one of the live streams that you will NOT be able to view other sponsors when they land, only their landing site. They want you to "discover" the factions in game like in previous Civ games.

Wouldn't this counter early spy ops when you haven't run across another civ?
It should. In Civ 5 I would never exchange diplomats unless the other Civ had scouted out my capital. I didn't want it being a target for spies.
Gives more reason to scout and get cooperation agreements for open boarders to do so.

Top Bottom