Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Those of you with small children can show them this screenshot and the last one as a spot-the-changes exercise :lol::

I am unsure if we should disband any of the warriors. It would speed research, but then it means we need to build more units in order to defend ourselves, which means the AI will be stronger.

We could disband one and then leave 2 warriors, and an Archer at home. That would attacking when we have 7 archers total.

Greebley said:
I am unsure if we should disband any of the warriors.

I thought of that, but I decided that we need to be as strong as possible for the archer rush and everything else is secondary.

Checking in gents.

Where do I fit in?
I will be able to play Tuesday at the earliest

I've got it. I think the best thing to do with the worker would be to chop one of the forest tiles and then when we grow to size 5 join him to the city and work 2 remaining forest tiles for 11 spt and 2-turn archers. Joining the worker hurts of course, but we need those shields urgently. 6 archers is a gamble - enough against 2 spears, but they can have more units in there. According to my experience the number of defenders in an AI capital is somewhat random. I would say 10 archers is the safe bet.

romeothemonk said:
Checking in gents.

Where do I fit in?
I will be able to play Tuesday at the earliest

I'll just place you in Bugs spot. Welcome to the team. :)

Obormot - I like your "join the worker plan". With any luck we'll find a slave or two in the yellow capital.

This game is getting interesting. :D

1. Greebley
2. Northern Pike
3. Obormot has it
4. ThERat
5. M60A3TTS
6. romeothemonk
7. Handy

Obormot said:
I've got it. I think the best thing to do with the worker would be to chop one of the forest tiles and then when we grow to size 5 join him to the city and work 2 remaining forest tiles for 11 spt and 2-turn archers. Joining the worker hurts of course, but we need those shields urgently. 6 archers is a gamble - enough against 2 spears, but they can have more units in there. According to my experience the number of defenders in an AI capital is somewhat random. I would say 10 archers is the safe bet.

We may have a limit based on our gold. I don't know that we can really afford to fail. Maybe we should go with as many as we can afford.

My only worry with waiting too long is that we may end up with less archers since some have to defend vs England.

I do think we should maximize the speed so I would go ahead and do the merge, but only after we road all squares since we need the gold to support more archers.

We could even consider turning off science until the military resolves itself. Not something I like to do, but it would give us gold if we have to temporarily have more archers than we can support.

Smart said:
I'd like to join, if there is available open slot
Else I'll be lurker

Unfortunately, this is the type of game that is full before it even starts. If someone does have to leave and doesn't already have a replacement, then we can consider you the first person in line. It is probably unlikely though.

You could try starting up an AW game yourself. Though it is harder to find people these days to play, you still may be able to get 3 or more to join your game. AW is a fairly popular variant.

ThERat said:
that sounds great Bugs
so what part of the :band: are you? and what type of music...anyway good luck and success!
Guitarist, vocals (mostly backup), and chief composer. We are sort of an alternative Christian band, but we have a lot of secular stuff too.

Good luck to the Grumpies and welcome to Romeo! :wavey:

Smart said:
I'd like to join, if there is available open slot
Else I'll be lurker

I will put you down as 1st alternate in case someone drops this game or next. (romeothemonk was 1st alternate but he's in the game now. :) In the past we have had large teams and you just tend to lose a "feel" for the game if you go too long between turn sets because of a large team. In the meantime you can download the save and play along in the background - just don't post any spoiler info to the thread.

I would second Greebley's suggesstion to start an AW variant. I started these because it seemed games were always full bu the time I saw them on the forum.

Hey Bugs - good luck and let us know when the CD is released.

OK, here are my thoughts about the situation. Science: we need BW. Everything else will take too long for now as we are going to choke with units for some time. After learning BW we can stop science temporarily. Military: we have 3 archers and 3 reg warriors. I choose to disband the 3 warriors to be able to get BW in reasonable time. I don't want to road forest because delaying worker joining will slow us down a lot and working 2 unroaded forests will allow us to support 10 units: i think 1 spear and 9 archers is the way to go.

pre-flight:
- disband the warriors, worker moves to forest. Science 100%, BW in 5 turns.

IBT
- Another english warrior appears.

2510BC
- Worker waits a turn, otherwise the shields from the chop will be wasted.

IBT
- English warriors start moving towards Lisbon.

2470BC
- We build another archer. Worker starts chopping.

IBT
- English warriors approach Lisbon. 2 more warriors appear out of the fog.

2430BC
- We kill both english warriors. (2-0)

2350BC
- We build another archer. We attack 2 english warriors and loose an archer, but 2 other archers promote. (4-1) We'll have BW next turn and will build a spear.

2310BC
- We meet the yellow civ. It is mongols. I declare of course.
- We learn BW and start IW at 10%.

2270BC
- We build a spear hurried by a forest chop. I join the worker and we can now build 2-turn archers. We can switch a citizen from lake to forest every turn.

2190BC
- We build one more archer. 2 mongol archer and a warrior and 2 english warriors approach. This could get ugly soon, so i'll play a little longer then 10 turns to see if we whether we can survive at all.

2150BC
- We kill 2 english warriors. (6-1)

2070BC
- we kill 2 mongol archer in defense and our spear promotes. (8-1)

2030BC
- kill another mongol, one more fortifies. (9-1)

1950BC
- We build one more archer.

OK, looks like we survived the first wave, but we are at our unit limit currently. We should attack now. We have 8 archers (2 of them elite) and an elite spear.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/HNDY24-1950BC.SAV

got it...exciting...we better take out the Mongols before it's too late.

I think I will pull out all 8 archers, we will produce more anyway as backup for defense. I hope 8 archers are enough to take out the enemy base.

I would also take the spear with us. I was kind of hoping that the Yellow guys were Egypt. The mongols might have already put up a rax, and with their aggressiveness are one of the tougher guys to archer rush. They are better than the Zulu though, so at least that broke in our favor.

I would also take a spear to protect our stack. We can either attack that warrior with our archers or wait 2 turns and build a spear instead of an archer to stay at home.

save

Pre-Turn
let the ugly part begin
defeat warrior with elite archer and get the others all out towards Mongols
no MP = lux 40% but that matters little now

1. 1910BC
spot a Mongol settler pair, but I leave it alone for the time being

2. 1870BC
get another archer, lux now back to 20%

3. 1830BC
Mongol capital spotted with a reg spear on top :)
spot wines there as well, how nice

4. 1790BC
MM our capital to high commerce to avoid bankrupcy and go for worker
our stack reaches the capital

IT 2 Mongol warrior run around but do not enter Karakorum, :smoke: as usual

5. 1750BC
D-day for our game
e-archer defeats reg spear flawless
archer defeats reg spear 1/4
archer redlines reg spear, but loses and no new spears shows up :)
archer defeats spear

defeat the reg warrior that was hanging around there as well

send 3 archers towards just founded Almarikh
up science to 60%

6. 1725BC
lose an archer but manage to autoraze Almarikh for 41gold :)

make a mistake by going towards the next Mongol town and run into a Mayan warrior, war it is :eek:

we produce a worker and now can up science to 90%, lux is 10%

7. 1700BC
move towards Kazan

8. 1675BC
autoraze Kazan, but Mongols are still alive
send out an archer and spot Mongol archer in the west and some borders

IT argh, lose a wounded vet archer, that was exposed to vet warrior and against another warrior we win

9. 1650BC
before the next push we need to consolidate

IT our fortified vet archers defeats archer on defense and promotes elite

10. 1625BC
move our archers back so we can push forward once everyone is healed as a group

capital is set on another worker to connect towns, we should go for settler soon
economy is healthy and we get IW in 7
would go for maths (+masonry) unless we have iron, then maybe wheel first

Strange looking minimap. Three civs on the same island in a arch map would be a pretty low probability. I think I've seen it only 1 time. Nice food bonus up in Mongol land. :) Karakorum would make a fine palace location. Not sure if we will ever get a chance to move it though.

1. Greebley
2. Northern Pike
3. Obormot has it
4. ThERat
5. M60A3TTS up
6. romeothemonk
7. Handy

Top Bottom