Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Hmm, that might make me up.

If there are no objections, I will try and play tomorrow (Thursday).

Crack is no longer on sale in my neighborhood, so the write up may be different :p

IHT: This game seems familiar. hmm. deja vu?
Turn 1: Deny a spanish audience. In a twist of events that surprises no one, we hop on the elevator. The illustrious snark hunter kills 3 defenders and we own Pedras Negras. Start building markets and burning down the jungle.

Turn 2: Inca get Sun Tzu, and the spanish get KT. We get a paltry few techs! We get feud, mono, Chivalry and republic, along with construction. Start a revolution. 7 turn anarchy. could be worse, could be raining. Make 14 gold while in anarchy.
Turn 3: End some resistance. Yay! or something. Upgrade an elite star pony to a knight.
Turn 4: In the bad news category, Yaxchillian flips on us. Kill a vet Jav with elite cav, nothing.
Turn 5: Kill 2 units in Lazapa with elites. No leaders. Kill 3 spears in uxachin, and capture. Dispatch of a spanish pony landing. Lose a vet AC to the free pike in Yax, which is now the Mayan capital. The maya will not outlive our anarchy!
Turn 6: la di dah
Turn 7: I'd like to thank the academy for this award!

Turn 8: We learn theology. WOOT, or something. quelling resistance. Started a galley through an opening.
Turn 9: The Monarchy of Freedonia has begun. Send more women!! Anyway, go through and re MM a bit. Inca start Magellans. Upgrade some troops.
Turn 10: Yes, I know this is AW, but we can handle the trickle of stuff we have seen and we really need some mammoth infra pushing. Incas build copes, and we learn to engineer stuff. Start an invasion force on Valencia.

Thoughts: Valencia is on a small island with it appears 1 Incan city. I say burn them both, resettle and play massive infra push for a while. We can get markets and courts and ducts up all over and then nothing can really catch us later on.
Score
Us 3, Them 0
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/HNDY24_650AD.SAV

Preturn: Minor tweaks

IBT: A landing of 2 units. Our exploring galley sinks.

660AD: Our 2 ACav don't do well. One loses 2 hp to an archer and one loses to the fortified spear.
Kill the landing with no problem.

IBT: Archer comes out of city and kills the other ACav in the forest.

670 AD: Drop off a knight and a MDI - Note that the piece of land is an island.

IBT: Inca start Smiths?? We are way behind. We need to meet someone else before Spain gets Education! Else we miss out on a lot of techs.

680 AD: Lose an MDI vs the Spear in the town.

IBT: We are attacked by an archer and finally win one.

690 AD: Knight vs MDI loses. This is getting silly. We have made zero progress on the island. I want to take it out because it supplies Inca with both Horses and Iron.

700 AD:

710 AD: Landed right on the iron this time.

IBT: Bad news. We got Education before we got Invention or met anyone else. GLib is not very useful this game. I start research on Invention.

720 AD: Pillage iron.

730 AD: Well our ship made it and we got contact... two turns late. Very Painful.
Our Knight is on a mountain to defend better.
Attack Valencia with 2 Elite ACav. Win for a change.

IBT: MDI brings our knight to 1 hp (retreat) taking no damage. MDI underneath is exposed.
There is a landing on our continent 3 MDI.

740 AD: MDI kills an Longbow. Probably dead.
Capture Valencia. We lose a knight attacking an injured MDI on the flat. RNG has been attrocious tonight.

IBT: Yup, MDI dies. The knight will escape onto the boat though.

750 AD:

Notes:

Lagartero is surrounded by irrigated lands when it is close enough to our capitol to be a real city. I have noticed a tendency to irrigate too close to our capitol Cities that will be viable when the FP is built are over-irrigated which wastes workers time, or worse a productive city. We need to get workers back into that area to do so. There are some on the road to the north.

I will mark the Incan landing spot on our map.

Not getting the techs from the AI is going to hurt. We missed out on getting all the way to Economics and Navigation. Haven't seen muskets yet.

We have 2 settlers and an empty army. Seemed no point to fill the army until we find a way to get to the AI.

I've got it.

Greebley, as far as I can tell you didn't indicate the Incas' landing spot on the screenshot. Where was it?

760 (1): We resume the ill-starred advance on Nasca, defeating an Incan MDI/LB pair (2-0).

A Spanish galley departs from AI doctrine and attacks one of our galleys, but fails (3-0).

An Incan LB attacking out of Nasca kills of one of our pikemen (3-1).

Lagos aqueduct --> library.

770 (2): We trample the troublesome Incan LB around Nasca (4-1).

780 (3): We overrun a Spanish (yes) archer on the Nasca front (5-1).

Our bad RNG luck in the slow advance on Nasca continues, as the town holds another LB which redlines/retreats a knight, though the knight was on a mountain.

Ta-Tu aqueduct --> pikeman, GoW library --> marketplace.

790 (4): Invention due in one, but I can only cut the research rate to 70%.

We regroup around Nasca, where we have too many depleted units. I don't think I'll make this attack until we've built up a force that can't fail. It's not as though we can attack anywhere else at the moment, so there's no hurry.

Invention --> Astronomy, due in eleven turns at 70% and a slight deficit.

Nottingham aqueduct --> library.

The Incas are building Newton. :eek:

800 (5): The Incas must have the greatest longbow force since Agincourt in Nasca. :rolleyes: Two more LB attack our stack outside the city, which is now fortified on a mountain, and both die (7-1).

Finally some action on the coastal-defense front, as the Incas land three knights near Chichen Itza--right where we have a good force of cats, fortunately.

810 (6): The Snark Hunters ride down two Incan knights at Chichen Itza, after effective cat bombardment (9-1).

BG library --> knight, Lagartero aqueduct --> courthouse.

820 (7): We pick off the final Incan knight around Chichen Itza (10-1).

The Incas land next to CI again--just one knight this time.

Karakorum library --> knight.

830 (8): We pick off another Incan LB in skirmishing around Nasca (11-1).

We dispose of the latest Incan knight around CI (12-1).

We found Evora next to an unused wheat tile in the former Mayan lands.

840 (9): We finally discover the last rival civ, Sumer, and declare war.

850 (10): We storm and raze Nasca with a redundantly large force, eliminating the garrison of two pikemen without loss (14-1) and gaining two slaves. We defeat a last Incan LB in the area (15-1).

Our main activity this round was building aqueducts. In that sense, we're paying quite a price for accepting the AI's wretched city placements, though we had to do it.

Five elite victories this round didn't produce a Great Leader.

We've been getting away with building infrastructure and maintaining a dubious coastal defense, since the AI civs have been landing infrequently (just the two Incan landings next to Chichen Itza, this round) and in a convenient place. We'll complete five knights in the next five turns, which should give us more security.

It might be worth setting up a settler trap where we razed Nasca (a spot with iron and horses, though we know the Incas have iron), if we feel we can spare the necessary units.

This looks like the right time for our GA, which we'll soon be able to trigger with a Carrack.

The Incas are working on Newton, so we need to get a pillaging army to their lands as soon as possible.

The idea behind Tikal's granary build is to use the town as a worker pump.

Grapes of Wrath, Sagres, and Chichen Itza are all unusually micromanaged, the former two because they're about to finish their builds, CI to get the benefit of a forest chop.

The Incan caravel near Lazapa has already landed its units, unless the AI is doing something strange.

We have two settlers in Nassau, and an empty army next to Karakorum.

I am glad I sent that army up north near Chichen. I saw no activity there on my own turns, but felt an army to the north was probably a good idea.

Agree we need better defense. Also we are far behind in tech. Relying on the GLib was probably a mistake this game - we would be in a better position if we hadn't built it but kept on researching. Meeting one strong and one weak civ (only) is a bad combination.

Sorry guys that i disappeared like this, but things were really busy for me and besides that i seem to be a bit burned out at the moment. I think i'll take a break from SG's now for several months. I'll be watching your game though. Good luck.

lurker's comment: By looking at teh Incas, it looks like the Incas killed the Carthagians, seeing as Sabratha is a carthagian name. Btw, a great game so far nonetheless. :clap:

Top Bottom