1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

lurker's comment: Unless your army is an old army and is facing more modern units. ;)
    Btw, be careful, sometimes, the AI attacks stacks of muskets. I think.

2. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

3. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

1250 (0): The army covering our SoD already contains four units. :goodjob:

Lagartero temple --> cav, Evora courthouse --> marketplace.

1255 (1): By moving our SoD next to Tiwanaku last turn and leaving two Inca slaves behind, we bikini-babed the Incas and Carthaginians, who sent at least eight units our way. So, we're able to pick off two Inca cav and a Carthaginian LB, though we lose a cav to a redlined cav (3-1). We generate the Great Leader Cabral when we overrun the LB.

We found Alcacer do Sal on Ica Island.

We wipe out a Spanish landing force of two Crusaders and a Conquistador on Ica Island (6-1).

Braga harbour --> carrack.

1260 (2): Cabral forms the First Cavalry Army in Ica.

We cut down another Spanish landing force on Ica Island, this one three Crusaders (9-1).

Around Tiwanaku we destroy three Inca cav, an Inca LB, and a Carth LB (14-1).

On defense we lose a musketman (to a Sumerian swordsman/horseman team on Ica Island), defeat an Inca LB, and sink a Spanish caravel (16-2).

1265 (3): We defeat the Sumerian swordsman and horseman on Ica Island (18-2).

Around Tiwanaku we eliminate an Inca rifleman, three Inca LB, and a Carth LB (23-2).

Magnetism --> Steam Power, due in sixteen turns.

Palenque marketplace --> cannon.

1270 (4): Around Tiwanaku we expunge six Inca units--two riflemen, three LB, and an MDI--and a Numidian. We lose a cav (30-3).

We found Guarda on the Inca continent.

We wipe out the latest Sumerian landing on Ica Island, an Enk and an archer, but somehow lose a full-strength cav attacking the archer (32-4).

1275 (5): With our new cav army in position to do most of the work, we raze Tiwanaku, held by four riflemen (36-4). We collect 42 gold and three slaves, and destroy Newton.

Around Guarda we extirpate two Carth LB and a Carth MDI (39-4).

1280 (6): We get our SoD moving towards Cuzco.

We defeat an Inca LB which attacks Guarda (40-4).

1285 (7): We destroy a Carth stack of a musketman, an LB, and an MDI next to Guarda (43-4). In the first attack we generate the Great Leader Dias, who immediately forms the Second Cavalry Army.

1290 (8): We cut down two Carth LB landed next to Nassau--the first landing on our home continent this round (45-4).

We bombard and wipe out three Spanish Crusaders next to Guarda (48-4).

1295 (9): We move our SoD next to Cuzco, adding nine cannon brought in by sea.

We lose a cav attacking a Carth LB outside Guarda--but we really can't complain about the RNG, since our next attack on the LB produces the GL Cabrillo (49-5), and so the Third Cavalry Army.

We repel an Inca LB which attacks Guarda (50-5).

1300 (10): We get a good preliminary bombardment against Cuzco, with even our cats contributing well, so I shouldn't have cast aspersions on them. ;) With two cav armies then doing the hardest work, we defeat the garrison of twelve riflemen and a cav for the loss of one cav (63-6). We capture two workers and seize 96 gold. We raze the city, establishing ourselves forever as history's leading Philistines since it contains five Wonders :D, and gain another four workers.

We trample two Inca LB around the ruins of Cuzco (65-6).

We slay another Spanish Crusader outside Guarda (66-6).

Twenty-four elite victories this round, two of them defensive, produced three Great Leaders.

4. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Well, Handy was certainly right about the cannon --> elite victories --> cav armies sequence. There's still some work to do, but this position is an easy win now. We could even turn off research, though I'm not actually advocating it.

We have a carrack in Guarda, still with its full movement, carrying an empty army and an asterisked elite cav which should go into the army. I'd drop the units off on our SoD (to the NW), which contains enough veteran cav to fill up the army, but I haven't done it so as to leave the next player with some flexibility.

Soon we should be able to move more quickly against the Incas, at least where coastal cities are concerned, by transporting our cannon in ships and leaving the older bombardment units behind.

There was only one minor landing on our home continent this round. Ica Island was a very popular landing site, as Greebley predicted, until we founded Guarda, whereupon most of the action (including Spanish landings) moved there. Ica Island is rather lightly held now, but since it's directly on our main shipping route I think this should be all right.

When the workers near Nottingham finish their present job, they should attend to that tile near BG which for some reason isn't fully developed.

If the conquest/domination question comes up, I vote as usual for conquest. :cool:

5. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Inca roads:

6. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

Actually the Philistines were quite advanced and more "cultured", much more so than the Jews. Kind of funny that the saying got flipped.
    Wonder what the trick was? :D

Anyway, great round. Keep it up guys, and I vote for Conquest as well, cause maybe I'll see another round.

7. ThERat

ThERat Deity

got it, I vote for conquest as well....more fun that way.

8. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Hey, a chance to use [offtopic] :lol:.

It took a long time for the Philistines to acquire their present associations. The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that circa 1800 German university students started using the word in its older sense of "enemy" for the townsmen around them--relations between students and townies could be incredibly violent in the nineteenth century, whether in Europe or America--and that the association of the Philistines with want of learning and culture grew naturally from this usage.

9. ThERat

ThERat Deity

save

Pre-Turn
    ship the army to the north, fill it with 3 Cavs
    fire all those taxmen, MM a little and we go from steam in 10 at-4gpt to 9 turns with +1gpt

IT Spanish conquistadores are running around, we gotta be careful about that
    win 2 on defense at Guarda

1. 1305AD
    defeat 3 units including a settler pair and start the slow march towards Machu Picchu

IT 2 units are killed at Guarda [7-0]

2. 1310AD
    use a new frigate to take out a caravel, but just only
    while the stack move towards Macchu Pichhu, send 3 armies to Vilcas
    defeat 1 unit near Guarda
    cossack sinks an Incan caravel near the unclaimed Island

3. 1315AD
    attack Vilcas, cav aries doing a bad job, killing 2 rifles but getting pretty wounded
    defeat 2 more units and raze town, but all armies are heavily wounded, however now enemy in sight
    defeat 1 unit next to Guarda

found Castelo Branco and increase science to get steam in 5

IT Spain and Carthago are showing up with knights now

4. 1320AD
    defeat 3 units outside Guarda, wounded armies now covered by the main stack
    sink a Spanish galley

IT apparently the Incas managed to hook up both salt and horses as I see a cav running about

5.1325AD
    sink another Carthagian caravel near our shores
    disconnect the horses, can spot that iron is hooked up as well
    decide to send some additional Cavs up north for support of the attack
    our stack is next to the Incan capital now

6.1330AD
    start bombardment of capital, count 6 rilfes including a drafted unit
    our armies are too wounded to let them attack

drop 5 Cavs next to a settler pair

IT you can always count on AI :smoke: as Carthago drops a 1hp knight in front of Guarda

7. 1335AD
    defeat 4 units putside Guarda, lose first unit during my turns
    many victories and agin no promotion even, no need to talk about MGL luck
    lost another 2 Cavs taking out the settler pair

our arty stack does a lousy job and knocks only 6 hp down
    use one slightly healed army to take out 2 rifles in Macchu

reduce science to 40%

IT steam comes in, next nationalism

8. 1340AD
    we are blessed with 4 coals sources :)
    Macchu has been drafted down to pop5, bombard it relentlessly, everything is red and pop is 3
    defeat 6 rifles and 1 LB and Copernicus is gone

Villacamba seems our next logical target to replenish cavs and take home those slaves

IT :eek: Carthago comes and attacks with a Cav, but our musket defends well

9. 1345AD
    pillage a salt source on the way to Villacamba
    decide to pull back knight army to start campaign in the south
    kill the usual 2 units at Guarda

try and coordinate the RR mission by grouoping workers properly, we have too few of them anyway
    ship 6 Cavs north to help out at Villacamba

while trying to adjust science rate programme crashes, lucky the Civ4 paranoia makes me save all the time

10. 1350AD
    defeat 3 units at Guarda, what's up all the elite wins an no leader, next player will have more luck I guess
    dropped 6 cavs and forgot to pick up the workers, please do so, we need them to RR main continent

ship chain works well and there is a constant flow of units coming to Guarda
    we have quite a few cannons inside that are good to repell the constant attacks

knight army on the way to pull south

nationalism due in 8

10. ThERat

ThERat Deity

1. Greebley
    2. Northern Pike
    3. ThERat
    4. romeothemonk playing
    5. handy

11. M60A3TTS

M60A3TTS Ex-treadhead

I like those 4 cows and a wheat by Machu Picchu. What a nice start that would have been! :D

12. handy900

handy900 Deity

Yeah with iron and incense close by

13. romeothemonk

I see it and can play tomorrow evening.

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Dye and Gems are also close.

15. romeothemonk

Kinda odd to go for nationalism, but 6 defense really does beat 4. I will do the research towards RP, which is the killer AW tech.
    Carthage decides that it is a good time to start Shakespeare's. I guess they really bought into the whole bread and circus concept pretty hard.
    I captured Vilacambria. Why? It has Magellan's and as a bonus a rax.
    I use the creative thinking part of my brain to solve 2 problems at once. I lower our staggering unit costs by disbanding our native cats to build a library in Vila.

Interesting, the Inca and Sumeria are at war!! The Inca are all heading to Vila, so I break the ship chain and just start sending stuff there instead.
    Semi-sloppy play style here, but it is efficient and we are making progress.

I split up into 3 army groups to hasten the death of the Inca.

I got the "Honey, it's bedtime warning" from my better half. It is good to listen to her.

The 4 Incan towns should fall in the next 3-5 turns, several on the next turn.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/HNDY24-1390AD.SAV

16. romeothemonk

We got nationalism, Then I started Electricity.

17. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Sounds good. :goodjob:

18. romeothemonk

Ok, now I will post more thoughts and stuff.
    I played 8 turns, in roughly 80 minutes.
    The workers are more organized, but the shipping is a mess. I have been diverting from the original plan of shipping to sink enemy ships. I bombard with frigates and attack with Carracks. When I bombard and then attack with frigates, the frigate loses, but I haven't lost a carrack yet, and sent probably 6 ships to the bottom.
    The Spanish attack Guardo or whatever that city is, mostly with Conquistadors. The elite musket died, and needs to be replaced. ( I Suggest rushing a rifle).
    Carthage has cavs now, so perhaps they should die soon.
    I only lost 3 units this round, so to curb runaway unit costs, a lot more towns are on infra.

19. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

20. romeothemonk

Interesting. Very interesting. Can't say that I have often perused Mr. Arnold's work, eschewing it for Mr. Barry's works. I guess that makes me a stiff necked enemy of the children of light. Or not.

Nice to track down some of the root causes of some vernacular slang.