1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Handy 24 Random AWE [Portugal]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ThERat

ThERat Deity

ok, got it, will play tonight. It is clear we need a few caravels as soon as possible to send over a knight army to start pillaging.

Obormot, it's ok, take it easy.

2. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Good observation. That probably explains why we've had so few landings. I know from using the diplo button to declare war on the Sumerians, though, that the Carthaginians are still alive.

3. ThERat

ThERat Deity

save

Pre-Turn
    2 turns to astronomy and carracks and our golden age
    will gather some knights for the army to be sent over
    MM a little bit

1. 860AD
    no event, reduce science to 60% for astronomy

IT Inca lands 1 knight in the north
    astronomy is in, next is gunpowder

2. 870AD
    upgrade 3 galleys to carracks
    defeat the knight

3. 880AD
    2 carracks sail from the small Island to our main continent to pick up the army on the way

4. 890AD
    carracks are sail towards overseas via the shortest estimated route
    send some units to the north to help defend there, we are paper thin there
    found Braga on the Island

IT :eek: 5 MDI's land next to Chichen Itza in the north

5. 900AD
    army kills 3 MDI, but Chichen Itza might be taken for a turn
    army is almost reaching overseas

IT what? Incas raze Chichen Itza, well now we got space for tighter settlement

6. 910AD
    kill the remaining 2 intruders
    drop our army and an additional knight overseas

IT Carthago has some galley sailing near our land in the south
    spot some Incan Cav's running towards our yet to be filled army
    we get gunpowder

7. 920AD
    we do have salt
    attack galley

start to pillage and move towards Seville that is merely defended by a spear
    MM and we get chemistry now in 5

8. 930AD
    discover a small offshore Island near the main other continent, this will be a good stepping stone
    resume pillaging towards the north where the Incans are

IT Carthago lands 2 units on the Island, we need more carracks to fight off invasions

9. 940AD
    defeat a full (assume) Spanish galley, but lose another
    while pillaging pick up 3 spanish workers that are disbanded

IT really bad RnG gets us to lose Valencia against a sword (pike was inside)

10. 950AD
    nothing mch, move some units to retake Valencia
    pillager army clims an iron moutain and spots Incan worker that looks pretty industrial
    we need to pillage them back to stoneage

I also suggest to gather some forces to take that Island, for now I still pushed quite some infra
    we have a settler iin the north, we can settle 2 more cities there to fill the gaps created by Chichem Itza

the hopping Island

pillager in action

1. Greeble
    2. Northern Pike
    3. ThERat
    4. romeothemonk up
    5. Handy

4. romeothemonk

romeothemonk Order of the Engineer

Ill get to this tomorrow.
    Looks like fun!!

5. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Good work getting the pillaging army over to Incaland. :goodjob:

6. romeothemonk

rl got in the way here. need a swap or a skip.

7. handy900

handy900 Deity

Okay. I go it.

1. Greeble
    2. Northern Pike
    3. ThERat
    4. romeothemonk (swap with handy)
    5. Handy playing

8. handy900

handy900 Deity

Turn 1 960
    A galley defeats one of our carracks. We are pillaging and building a lot of markets so our cities can get bigger with no luxury tax.

Turn 2 970
    Chemistry – Metal (5)
    Accumulating forces the take the midway island. May not get enough units this set. By the end of this set we will have a good economy, almost have MT, and the Inca will be pillaged some. Should go pretty well after we upgrade cats to cannon and get some cav.

Turn 3 980
    Incas landed some archer & warriors on the IBT. We kill a couple and will clean it up next turn.
    Lose two Acav in the attack of Valencia while killing two NM. We’ll take it next turn.
    Sending all the cats on go to orders toward the jump off point for the sea crossing.

Turn 4 990
    The Inca have rifles, but soon they will have no tile improvements either. :D
    We take Valencia.

Turn 5 1000
    Inca build Smith and Newton and Magellan. With these wonders done the troop landings will increase. I’ll spread the knights we have around for a little better defensive response.

Turn 6 1010
    IBT landings at Valencia. Odds favor a defensive play there.

IBT
    Defenders win at Valencia and we pop a Leader. :D
    Inca drop two cav and at Valencia (must be oil there)
    MT due in 5 for us -25 GPT, which should get better as markets come on line.

Turn 7 1020
    Lose acav and Knight killing only one cavalry at Valencia.
    Withdraw from Valencia to ponder this a bit. The leader has been evacuated but we may lose those towns before we can reinforce them. Not a big deal, better that than the Inca attacking the mainland.

Turn 8 1030
    Second Knight Army sets sail for the mainland. :hmm: I’m having second thoughts that I should have saved it for cavalry, but there is a lot left to pillage. It will also useful as cover for a stack of cannon & cavalry to start working on the other continent.

Turn 9 1040
    The second army arrives to begin to pillage.

IBT
    Army is attacked by a cavalry, but survives.

Turn 10 1050
    Not much fighting happened except we lost Valencia. Lots of pillaging and market building.
    MT due in 2 +74 gpt. Many markets & libraries now on line and our military production is ramping up quite nicely. Building these left us a little exposed but long term should have a nice impact.
    Second army needs to heal a bit before it begins to pillage.
    The Inca are about 1/3 pillaged, and their capital will be fully pillaged in a turn.
    I did not attack much with carracks, but going forward you may want to ramp up naval production and sacrifice a few carracks instead of having to deal with cavalry landings since we are pretty exposed in some areas. Once we get MT we can lower science to upgrade knights & cannon, but I do think we will have time to get to steam (and use it) in this game.

9. handy900

handy900 Deity

1. Greebley (up unless romeo can get it)
    2. Northern Pike
    3. ThERat
    4. romeothemonk - swapped
    5. handy - just played

10. ThERat

ThERat Deity

good progress, 2 pillager armies will spell doom for Incans.
    We definitely need steam for a good home defense.

We should make sure all saltpeter is pillaged to get some crappy units from them.

11. handy900

handy900 Deity

The second pillager pretty much sealed the deal. Once we get a few cav we can use one of the armies as cover for cannon and cav. This leads to elite wins with cav and then cav armies and a big snowball. :D

12. romeothemonk

The wife has a tupperware party on Tuesday, leaving me to fend for myself. That of course means microwave burritos and Civ.

Woot.

13. romeothemonk

IHT: Romeo sits down to play. He grumbles that there are no frozen burritos. He has to eat roast beef sandwiches on hotdog buns. He is sufficiently grumpy now.
    HE then surveys the scene and starts singing "Pillage the Inca" to the tune of "Kill the wabbit" Maybe Bugsy can put it to music?
    IBT: A sumerian galley sinks a carrack. Please.
    Turn 1: Kill a knight out of a 3 unit landing. It is best to play D with the remaining MDI.
    IBT: Kill 2 MDI on Defense. Lose an AC and a pike near Valencia.
    Turn 2: MT comes in, physics in 4. (Sounds like a college chant.) Build Luanda, setup to assualt the halfway island. Dang the Inca had a 4 cow start, no wonder the dominance. Even the AI can't screw that up too badly. Use a carrack to sink an Incan galley.

IBT: The play by play breaks down around here

Start the assualt on Ica in 1100 AD. Also start the assault on Valencia. The Inca had a lot of resources hooked up. Note the tense used.

In 1110 we took Ica. Carracks prove quite Handy :) as we sink a galley. Also stop a spanish landing near valencia.
    IN 1120 we liberate Arquipa. Will abandon and replace, but keep it for now. With a cannons help, sink a caravel.

IN 1150 we capture Valencia and begin the masive invasion that will spell the doom of the Inca.

I have my doubts that I will see this one again.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/HNDY24-1150AD.SAV

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ok, I got it.

15. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn: Only minor changes.

IBT: Our landed stack is attacked. Large number of units seen on the move. 5 units landed on the island.

1160 AD: Cover landing with army. Otherwise it will be quickly overwhelmed. We could have 5x the number of units and the outcome would still be against us.
    We can only kill 4 of the 5 that landed. Move the Catapults back to bombard the landing on the mountain. Kill a Caravel, but it costs us 2 boats (the first red-lined, the second missed entirely).

1170 AD: Our 13 cats and trebs can only do 1 hp to 1 Rifle.

1180 AD: This time we do much better and Raze the town.

1190 AD: Army heals

1200 AD: Kill a settler, rifle, MDI trying to resettle the city site.

1210 AD: Start heading for Tiwanaku. Figure I will head through Inca territory razing as I go.

IBT: A longbow attacks my Northern army. I am not sure why. It does enough damage the Cavalry start attacking it and kill it.

1220 AD:

1230 AD: Attempt an attack on a size 12 city, but we just don't have good enough Artillery power.

1240 AD: Go to pick up more units.

1250 AD:

Notes:
    I am waiting for the drop off of 3 cannon. I feel we need this to add to the stack so we can raze the Incan cities more easily. Our current stack has lots of cats, but cats just don't do well vs Rifles in size 12 towns. See the picture below.

Didn't get a leader. This is too bad as I wanted to replace the one lost to the north. Note that the incans are willing to attack armies next to towns with longbows. No idea why - I haven't observed this before.

I did some boat attacks but had horrid luck even against galleys.

Keep a decent number of troops on the island off the Incan coast. You can get landings of up to 5 strong units there. The current units may not be quite enough. Additional cannon are heading to the island and may want to stay there.

I abandoned the Incan city on the island. We have a settler to replace it. This is well worth doing as it allows boats to land with troops to move them faster.

16. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Yes, I wondered about our sending cataputs over to Incaland, although I know there was almost no gold available for upgrades.

I've got it.

17. romeothemonk

I sent the cats over to do something with them.

I figured that they couldn't overwhelm the stack on the first turn, and then Greebley would cover them with the army.

On the army attack, did you have the AIpatrol thingy changed? I have read previously that it can effect attacks, and lead to random attakcs on armies.

18. handy900

handy900 Deity

Did we put a 4th unit in the army? On my turns one army had only 3 knights IIRC.

1. Greebley
    2. Northern Pike playing
    3. ThERat
    4. romeothemonk
    5. handy

19. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

No, it only had the 3. It had no chance to pick up the other unit. I suspect you are right Romeo, that the AI randomly attacked the army and the unit got lucky enough to do enough damage to get it low enough so the Cat killed it - we lost a lot of HP to that longbow.

I am not sure I checked if the covering army of the cats had 4 units. Do check this NP. If we are at risk of random attacks, then we definitely want 4 units in the army.

I don't think we could upgrade the cats. We need Steam ASAP, IMO. When we get the cannon with the stack, then I think with a little luck we can get the HP of the defenders enough so we can Raze some towns.

20. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

With the partol enabled you will occassionally have a unit stumble into your armies. Without it they do not.