Has Southeast Asia ever had a Civ

SE Asia, Central Asia and Oceania don't have any representation so I think they should each get one. Except for maybe Central Asia, as I can't think of anything from there of importance. In short:

Hawai'i (Oceania), second choices being Australian Aboriginies and Maori
??? (Central Asia)
Siam (SE Asia), second choices being Vietnam and Khmer

And the other 7 can be civs from Civ 3.

Completely agree. However I have thought that Khmer or Pagan should have been in the Vanilla version.... What are we going on 18 years without SE representation in the game even after adding many native american Tribal civs? So I could see them do something like continueing to leave them out or add something odd insted of (Polynesia, Burma, Phillipines... something)

Completely agree. However I have thought that Khmer or Pagan should have been in the Vanilla version.... What are we going on 18 years without SE representation in the game even after adding many native american Tribal civs? So I could see them do something like continueing to leave them out or add something odd insted of (Polynesia, Burma, Phillipines... something)

Firaxis is American based remember? So it makes perfect sense to put native americans in and leave out "insignificant" South East Asians. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of the Kushan Empire?

Hey, weren't those the ones exiled on a desert planet at the fringes of the galaxy by the Taidan and have now returned to their Homeworld of Higara?... oh, wait, wrong game... (Sorry, just had to add this comment since I'm a BIG fan of that game!)

How about 1 civ from the mainland (Siam gets my vote) and one from the archipelagic part? (How about the Majapahit Empire? It ruled Java and Sumatra... or Malay)

[incidentally, I'm from SE Asia too]

Hey, weren't those the ones exiled on a desert planet at the fringes of the galaxy by the Taidan and have now returned to their Homeworld of Higara?... oh, wait, wrong game... (Sorry, just had to add this comment since I'm a BIG fan of that game!)

How about 1 civ from the mainland (Siam gets my vote) and one from the archipelagic part? (How about the Majapahit Empire? It ruled Java and Sumatra... or Malay)

[incidentally, I'm from SE Asia too]

Srivijaya could be a better choice. It's older than Majapahit, lasted for longer and ruled a larger area.

In regards to the Kushan Empire: Sounds good! I knew there had to be something!

According to the UN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:United_Nations_geographical_subregions.png) the areas that haven't been represented are:

Carribean
Southeastern Asia
Polynesia
Micronesia
Melanesia
Australia and New Zealand
Middle African
Eastern Africa

Though I think the four oceanic (Australia + New Zealand and the _esias) should be just one 'oceania' area, since it's such a small area (though the same could be said for Europe). And according to that map, Western New Guinea isn't part of Melanesia, and Siberia is part of Europe... so it's not too credible.

So that leaves us with Southeast Asia, Oceania, Carribean and Central Asia. Was there ever a Caribbean civ?

And interestingly enough, Eastern Asia, and Western Europe have the same amount of rep (Celts, England, Germany, France vs. China, Korea, Japan, Mongols)!

i doubt if many people ever heard of Srivijaya, Majapahit ... Why dont replace them with true civs like Vietnam or Siam

In regards to the Kushan Empire: Sounds good! I knew there had to be something!

According to the UN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:United_Nations_geographical_subregions.png) the areas that haven't been represented are:

Carribean
Southeastern Asia
Polynesia
Micronesia
Melanesia
Australia and New Zealand
Middle African
Eastern Africa

Though I think the four oceanic (Australia + New Zealand and the _esias) should be just one 'oceania' area, since it's such a small area (though the same could be said for Europe). And according to that map, Western New Guinea isn't part of Melanesia, and Siberia is part of Europe... so it's not too credible.

So that leaves us with Southeast Asia, Oceania, Carribean and Central Asia. Was there ever a Caribbean civ?

And interestingly enough, Eastern Asia, and Western Europe have the same amount of rep (Celts, England, Germany, France vs. China, Korea, Japan, Mongols)!

The Carribean hasnt had a Civ worth putting in the game IMHO. I mean the Civs that should considered must have been succesful in a variaty of areas. Just becouse people live in a given area doesnt autimatically warrent inclusion. I dont put Siam and Vietnam in with Aborigines or native Carribeans. The former have been succesful Empires in their day and have evolved into successful nation states the latter havent and dont measure up on a variaty of levels.

Yeah I know, I was just saying that there are plenty more than just SE Asia, Oceania and Central Asia.

I'm surprised Australia's not a Civ.

I think the British are, in a way, supposed to represent the Empire and the Commonwealth as a whole (except for India, which is obviously its own, much older civilization). Australia isn't a Civ for the same reason that Canada and South Africa aren't civs.

I'm thinking that a civ worthy civ should consist of 1 thing - an able military. One that has the ability to win a war.

That is how every civ in civ is/was right?

All states in history have won a war at some point, except for those who were formed out of "release" by the colonial powers. And France under Frenchmen, of course.

I take your point, but also consider on the flipside that as an abstraction with limitations caused by the end-users's PC, Civ will always be an abstraction unless you do a very focused scenario. E.g. I happily playing the standard 9-Civ Earth Civ map, even though France/Celts/English/Spanish are abstracted as Greeks / Romans / Germans.

To have at least two civs for every major region of the world is a reasonable balance between game play and historical realism.
If you want detail in your game, write a scenario.

@Bast
If you want to just pick and choose, then it would only be fair pick the richest state in Europe and pick that to represent all of Europe. And as for China, it's okay to have just China, because all of the other countries around it within the mainland got gobbled up in its culture (the Manchus became Chinese as the Mongols who conquered China became Chinese).

On the Caribbean, I would like to see the Taino. The only problem, and I will ADMIT IT is thatit is not worth it with the limited slots in the Civ series. Still it would be cool. Plus one can argue that the Taino will be reprsented by whatever Sitting Bull appears to be the leader of.

I am not going to argue Taino should be in the game but if anyone is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taino#Culture_and_lifestyle

Some can argue that the Arawak may be more worthy, as most consider The Taino to part of the whole Arawk chain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arawak

There really is no point in putting either of them. But I would love to play as The Taino. They built amazing boats.

Top Bottom