Has this happened to anyone?

Love CiV

Chieftain
I just restarted steam, and a window popped up showing deals. Well, I scroll to the second deal, and apparently there was a mix up with BNW's sale on steam after it's release, and so they're giving a copy of Civ IV to people who pre-ordered, or purchased after the release.

Anyone else see this?:confused:

I saw something about it on the 2k forums. It was because Steam accidentally put it on sale on the European release day.

Yeah, I got civ iv for free. It was a really classy thing to do as an apology. Compare to EA's behavior after SimCity.

Yeah, I got civ iv for free. It was a really classy thing to do as an apology. Compare to EA's behavior after SimCity.

I don't love EA or anything, to make that clear. However, as opposed to giving out Civ IV (which is very cheap and old now), they gave a choice of about 5 games, many of which were $30-$60.

I can't stand EA either, but don't just make stuff up.

You know what? I completely forgot the did that. You're absolutely correct.

pretty big difference between a distributor giving a free game to everybody who bought because of a mis-print, and a developer giving a send-away offer for a free game of choice because a game is unplayable at release.

I never even noticed anything was wrong with BNW. They could have swept this under the rug EASILY and I wouldn't have though twice about it. Granted CIV IV is old and inexpensive, but that doesn't make it any less of a free game.

EA did it as a reactive measure, Valve was being proactive.

I don't love EA or anything, to make that clear. However, as opposed to giving out Civ IV (which is very cheap and old now), they gave a choice of about 5 games, many of which were $30-$60.

I can't stand EA either, but don't just make stuff up.

That was after flat out refusing money back for a at that time unplayable game, despite multiple promises from them saying those issues would never happen because they were prepared.

Furthermore, that value you put on the games is true enough from an 'origin point of view' however I could get them much cheaper elsewhere if I really wanted them, not to mention most if not all of the games were games you already had if you really were interested in them. This means that EA didn't really lose much, if anything, as those games would most likely never be sold anyways.

That was after flat out refusing money back for a at that time unplayable game, despite multiple promises from them saying those issues would never happen because they were prepared.

Furthermore, that value you put on the games is true enough from an 'origin point of view' however I could get them much cheaper elsewhere if I really wanted them, not to mention most if not all of the games were games you already had if you really were interested in them. This means that EA didn't really lose much, if anything, as those games would most likely never be sold anyways.

True, to an extent, but I DID get a free Dead Space 3, which was about a month old at the time and was going for $60 everywhere.

Top Bottom