have you seen a city flip?

Have you seen a city flip?

• Total voters
Cities flipping is the fault of the leader though, not someone else "stealing" the city.

If you have -20 unhappiness and do nothing about it...

key is voting your ideology the world ideology via world congress, in addition to strong culture/tourism. The AI still has a lot of happiness so it takes several levels of pressure to make it happen. Some of the warmonger civs (I'm looking at you, Shaka) tend to have worse happiness problems though. I've flipped cities from Shaka in a couple different games now.

Interesting responses so far... However I have ticked all these boxes. Perhaps the problem so far is that I only got the other civ below -20 for a couple of turns. Even with Rev Wave I find it hard to push the AI below the -20 mark. I am playing on King if that is relevant?

Cities flipping is the fault of the leader though, not someone else "stealing" the city.

Oh yeah, and someone conquering the empire is also their fault for not having an army and no reason to hate the conqueror!

It was my cultural pressure that made his empire that unhappy. He had every reason to hate me. He didn't. That sucks.

So when Russian cities flipped to you, did Kathy give you a diplo hit? Did any other civ? I would hope there is a small hit (Kathy only), but much smaller than a war conquered city.

Did you get a diplo bonus for returning the city?

No diplo hit at all with anyone. I got large "We've traded recently" diplo bonus giving the city back to Russia.

They should change this mechanic somewhat though. Once a city's flipped, it's usually a big city too since it contributes to much of the unhappiness, chances are there are artworks you can steal. Give the city back, it will flip again, and rinse and repeat. I had that happen in one game. But at that point I was pretty close to winning it for it to matter.

Oh yeah, and someone conquering the empire is also their fault for not having an army and no reason to hate the conqueror!

It was my cultural pressure that made his empire that unhappy. He had every reason to hate me. He didn't. That sucks.

I don't see the similarity.

You aren't creating ideological pressure to purposefully flip cities. A leader pressing on with his own ideas against the will of his/her own people is doomed.

Yeah, I flipped a Greek city as Morocco and then traded it back to them for all of their luxes and a ton of GPT.

I don't see the similarity.

You aren't creating ideological pressure to purposefully flip cities.

What? Of course I am! Why else would I be doing it?

I could've also given the cities back to Nobunaga right away if I didn't want them. I didn't do so. Again, he has every reason to hate me for taking his city.

this system on flipping makes a lot more sense than what it was in Civ 4. In reality a city will revolt quickly and the whole city will change, though there may be some loyalists in the city and hence the resulting the unrest for a few turns.. In civ 4 the tiles would gradually be eaten up by the other civ and start to starve out the culturally dominated civ, that wasnt realistics. the borders are political, not cultural (even though we grow them using culture). I think it is good how they introduced tourism as separate from culture in this respect.

Example: America has a tonne of cultural influence (tourism) over Canada, but nobody in Canadian cities are thinking about joining the USA, because they are happy and they share the same ideology. the boarders are not changing despite the huge tourism pressure from the USA.

Interesting responses so far... However I have ticked all these boxes. Perhaps the problem so far is that I only got the other civ below -20 for a couple of turns. Even with Rev Wave I find it hard to push the AI below the -20 mark. I am playing on King if that is relevant?

I hope they make it easier to get the Civs to actually become unhappy! It's pretty ridiculous that with rev wave, Civs can still have 30 happiness!

I have seen it several times in my games. I usually don't know what to do with the city, because it will be in some far off location that is surrounded by the original owner. I usually end up selling the city, or just leaving it for a little extra science, culture, gold, etc.

Have had one flip (to me) so far. America was in huge unrest (started having rebels overrunning their empire, which was weakened from a war with Germany) and Boston flipped to me late in the game while I was going for a Cultural Victory. Unfortunately, it was near useless thanks to 22 turns of unrest, so I gave it away to Bismarck for Open Borders, so I could flood his country with musical tours. Overall, it's a "meh" feature. It doesn't happen often, you may not get border cities (meaning you might get some isolated city in the middle of an enemy's empire) and the huge unrest waiting period (which makes no sense, since they're supposed to WANT to join me) makes it pretty pointless.

It seems to depend on how committed that AI is to its ideological choice. Some games/opponents capitulate and adopt my ideology, others fight it and flip cities to me.

I just finished the game and deleted the saves so I don't have images.

I was playing poland, following freedom. Two Swedish and two Hunnic cities flipped to me.

It happened for me because I was following Freedom, while they were following Order and Autocracy and each had -20+ happiness.

If you get in a position where the people are in a revolutionary wave, thats when they tend to flip.

I had one of my cities flip away from me. I was Freedom and my people really desired Autocracy...

If you have -20 unhappiness and do nothing about it...
I'd really like to agree with that sentiment, but after the hatchet job that was done on theaters and stadiums, not to mention throwing out a bunch of happiness spools, it may well be there's not a way out from -20 happiness.

I get that religion was giving away too much happiness. They cut down the amount of happiness founder beliefs granted. Great. Knocking every happiness building down to +2 was a little heavy-handed.

Nice thinking: "I really want a gun on my head to help me focus today"

If you're an autocrat winning at the ideology war, then people aren't thinking that autocracy means they'll have a gun to their heads. They're thinking they'll be joining the strongest nation in the world, that all the worthless, unproductive elements of society will be put in their place (and that place is not on the dole with free healthcare), and that law-abiding people will be safe to walk the streets at night. Oh, and the trains will run on time.

Yes, there are people who crave authority and will revere a leader whose aim is to separate the chaff from the wheat. Of course, such people tend not to consider themselves part of the chaff.

Top Bottom