Having trouble deciding where to place 2nd city

Buccaneer

Deity
I am having trouble deciding where to place my 2nd city. Immortal, Pangaea, Standard game playing as Incas.

The first area is north of Cusco would be a good food site but no extra luxuries and with an overlap with Cusco (which I want to minimize)
Spoiler :

The second area is south of Cusco and this next screenshot shows what's between me and the Persians. It's a good mix of food and some production.
Spoiler :

I was thinking just south of Cusco (here's a closer look) but I can't get the Marble and it would incur overlap with Cusco. Any further south would be too forward settling, I would think
Spoiler :

Both areas have their advantages and disadvantages but unlike other games, nothing is readily apparent of how I should settle the additional city (or cities).

Nothing to the east - all production and no food possibilities at all. To the west is nothing but grasslands and forests.

Which spot would you choose?

Attachments

• inca1.jpg
    inca1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 2,213
  • inca2.jpg
    inca2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 2,269
  • inca3.jpg
    inca3.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 2,237
You're inca so you can settle in the actual mountains, however the tile layout is pretty brutal in some places. You could settle right on the marble if you wanted, as well as right on the silver on the coast to the north of that, and get some good food going.

But sub-par for Inca. The blobby-ness of the mountains means few high-bonus terrace spots despite a ton of unusable mountain tiles. Inca want snakey mountains not blobby ones, obviously. Concave not convex.

The few high-bonus spots are where the map put stupid sheep/deer! The two good high-yield terrace tiles that a hypothetical southern city could have are in 3rd ring for your cap so you get them anyway. It would be much better with a few tiles switched.

I'd say a far-settle on that river hill next to the banana, even though it will make Persia mad, and maybe that coastal silver to the east.

Two additional thoughts that crossed my mind. I had contemplated the northern area because that was where I could get a coastal city. But being in the (northern) middle of a pangaea, I suppose that would not matter much at all.

I initially targeted the hill/river/mtn spot next to the banana but that would be a two-ring overlap with Cusco including three Terrace Farms. Is that a concern for the growth of either cities?

I had also thought about south of the banana, enough to buy the Salt but that would piss off the Persia. Worth it?

Is there a difference with a tile next to 1 mountain or 4? This is my first time playing Incas and wanted to learn about city placements in regard to terrace farming (construction coming online soon).

IIRC, +1 food for each mountain adjacent to a terrace farm. So 4 adjacent mountains would be +3 food as compared to 1 mountain.

Do you want to possibly fight persia? 3rd screen shot on the grass east of bananas.

Or else expand peacefully to the east along the coast.

Unless I am missing it (on my iPhone), I don't see a 4 mountain spot.

However, that was my initial concern. There 3 good terrace farm spots in the vicinity of that marble/silver...but I want Cusco to have them. Where does leave for the 2nd city?

There's a 4 mountain spot with rivers north of cape town which you can get if you settle where the barb camp is, and you get the marble in third ring as well. If you get this and the one north of cusco (or any other decent coastal), you can utilize sea ITR if you feel growth is lacking.

If map wasn't Pangea, I settle where the barb camp is. But, as Cusco is not coastland, no cargo ship useful. So, on marble you have instant happiness and gold with 1 great hill for terrace farm (5 food + 2 hammers) and 2 hill with 3 mountain in second and third ring (can be for Cusco). And no AI will take this city (only one tile to come or you lost Cusco before). Also it's a safe way for a caravan to Pedro.

The worst room for a city for another civ is the best spot for Incas.

Unless I am missing it (on my iPhone), I don't see a 4 mountain spot.

However, that was my initial concern. There 3 good terrace farm spots in the vicinity of that marble/silver...but I want Cusco to have them. Where does leave for the 2nd city?

Yes, you want the cap to have those two spots, they are the only good terrace spots available really. But a city on the river hill next to the banana won't need to take them from the capital, because it will have so much food from that river, so it's not a conflict imo.

I definitely wouldn't settle near the salt. It should be remembered that AI Persia basically has 3-movement units the entire game long.

the spots south of cusco really are best to claim first, i think. highly defensible if Persia comes for you and great Terrace Farms spots plus high troop mobility through those mtns. and if you settle on the deer (forgoing the river) you can get marble as a workable tile. otherwise you might get it in the 4th or 5th ring as simply +4 happiness later. since its 4th ring for Cape Town they might not get marble for a long time.

theres a section to the right on the coast im curious about that i cant see. 1 coastal city might be a useful spot too.

Thanks for all of the help. I have decided on a spot next to the bananas, plenty of food spot even with the overlap and I don't need to work the marble.

But I am curious about an earlier comment about this map being sub-par for the Incas. What would be considered a good map for them on standard pangaea? I don't think I could roll a full hill/mountains/river map.

But I am curious about an earlier comment about this map being sub-par for the Incas. What would be considered a good map for them on standard pangaea? I don't think I could roll a full hill/mountains/river map.

Not a map type, just the little details, the way the mountains ended up being laid out. Ideal for Inca is, "having the most mountain-surrounded hills with the least tiles actually used up by mountains," so you get a lot of +3 and +4 food terrace farms (before CS/fertilizer bump) instead of just +2 and +3 like in most of this map.

Snakey mountains are nicer because you get those higher-bonus tiles without as many tiles being "used up" for actual mountains, and a better defensive bonus (can make roads between the mountain chains, don't have to settle a city on the vulnerable exterior of a huge clump).

Also, it's really nice if the most common resource in the mountains is copper/silver/gold so you can just settle on those tiles, and not lose any regular hill tiles for terrace farms. Here it's sheep and deer which you don't benefit from settling and you just lose the potential terrace farms.

For whatever reason the best Inca mountain layouts seem to happen in tundra for me.

Not a map type, just the little details, the way the mountains ended up being laid out. Ideal for Inca is, "having the most mountain-surrounded hills with the least tiles actually used up by mountains," so you get a lot of +3 and +4 food terrace farms (before CS/fertilizer bump) instead of just +2 and +3 like in most of this map.

Snakey mountains are nicer because you get those higher-bonus tiles without as many tiles being "used up" for actual mountains, and a better defensive bonus (can make roads between the mountain chains, don't have to settle a city on the vulnerable exterior of a huge clump).

Also, it's really nice if the most common resource in the mountains is copper/silver/gold so you can just settle on those tiles, and not lose any regular hill tiles for terrace farms. Here it's sheep and deer which you don't benefit from settling and you just lose the potential terrace farms.

For whatever reason the best Inca mountain layouts seem to happen in tundra for me.

Thank you for the explanation, very informative post.

I'd go for that hill next to the banana deer wheat to the south. Persia can send all the immortal pikes he wants, he will never take that city. Besides, he'll get eaten by Assyria anyway. Then I'd settle next to Vilnius on the flood plain next to the cattle, and citadel the river tile to the west to grab the horses iron incense later on.

I'd go for that hill next to the banana deer wheat to the south. Persia can send all the immortal pikes he wants, he will never take that city. Besides, he'll get eaten by Assyria anyway. Then I'd settle next to Vilnius on the flood plain next to the cattle, and citadel the river tile to the west to grab the horses iron incense later on.

That's interesting. How would the citadel get me access to the incense when it's two tiles away? Also, how do you know there would be iron?

That's interesting. How would the citadel get me access to the incense when it's two tiles away? Also, how do you know there would be iron?

Putting a citadel one tile away from your border will grab anything two tiles away.

Top Bottom