Health/sickness system? Government types?

JohnnyW

Gave up on this game
Is it possible to implement a system of health like in civ4? I had totally forgotten about it until I opened it up again today to check out the tech tree.

Also, would it be possible to bring back government types?

This is probably asking for waaaaay too much to be possible, and I know it.

Well I am working on a concept for Governments in Civ V.
Nearly finished it.
Mind though it is only a concept. I have no modding skills, but it is still interesting.

Player-only? Sure. For the AI, only with DLL access. Well I tell a lie, it's possible for the AI but a ton of work to tie into other systems because it can be affected by them but not back-affect them.

Perfectly possible I should think, as Garrett says look at DUCKS. We've added a 'piety' concept where piety is accumulated by cities.

There's no reason why you can't add a health mechanic where the health of each city is stored in Lua, and displayed alongside other stats in-game as if it's a core value and influences other things such as food or population or happiness via lua calls to the city class. You could also edit the help text for buildings / social policies, and add XML tables to represent techs / buildings / policies effects on health. You would have to borrow an existing fonticon though (the icons that are used inside help text, like the tiny culture icon or great people point icons, until these are moddable.

It'll be difficult to get the AI to pay attention to the health system, mind, with respect to the buildings it builds etc. But you could tweak the flavours of stuff like buildings to encourage the AI to take care of its cities health, it just wouldn't know that's what it's doing it for and wouldn't be able to react to particularly low or high health to capitalise on the system.

That all said, the patch notes for the imminent patch indicate (though this is speculation) it may be soon possible to do things like replace the decision making processes of the AI with lua script, which would mean you could code lua to make the AI understand health properly.

Could be done but it seems kind of boring to just revisit the civ4 game on this.

How about something different? What if food resources could be traded and trading them provided extra food for both civs? That's just one idea, but it seems to me that there are many possibilities that would be: 1) not a rebuild of civ4, 2) easier to implement, and 3) more fun/interesting/realistic/[insert your favorite modifier] than the civ4 health system.

Well, if health can be added to cities then other custom mechanics can be as well. :)

I actually really like the health mechanic though, and it makes sense to give it to hospitals, etc. Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe adding a few more (simple) mechanics as well just to spice things up a bit (like crime).

I did look over the DUCKS mod, which looks ******edly awesome, and I actually am in awe and feel ******ed in comparison just by reading that thread.

It does show me that tons of things are possible, which is a great sign!!! ;)

Top Bottom