Heavy stuttering makes this mod almost unplayable

Errr.....no, what does Shift+LMB do when loding a savegame....is it the same thing as holding shift down when loadign the game itself? (cache refresh?)

Also didn't know that rebuilding the terrain can help slow-down issues....I'll have to remember that....although it often stund me when running on WXP with 3GB memory and a NVIDIA internal laptop graphics card I seem to be able to run a better (or longer lasting game) than many with W7 and more RAM and better GFX cards....weird...Laptop gets a bit hot though :-(

for the modders with CHIPOTLE (u know what I mean)

Try CTRL+D and in the menu > Rebuild Terrain.

It helps remove the stuttering when it gets to slow.
and ofcourse the SHIFT+LMB when loading a savegame, but u all knew that I hope ;)

This is interesting. Yesterday I got what is probably this issue for the first time. I would describe it as 'micro-stuttering' - whenever the camera panned to show me a battle or zoom over to a unit, rather than a smooth scroll, it was tiny stutters (several per second but very noticeable). It didn't seem to affect anything except camera movement. It was pretty clearly a video artifact so the terrain rebuild makes snese (I haven't tried it though so cannot confirm if it cures).

The interesting thing is that I just started V17 and I have NEVER seen this previously. Since it's almost certainly a video issue and didn't happen prior to V17 my best guess is that it's caused by the new terrain graphics. Obviously the variety is much greater than it ever used to be and perhaps the game's graphics engine caches unique tile graphics or something and now has more than the size of its cache, causing it to reload them from disk continuously (just a guess). If that IS the case it may well be that the micro-stuttering I get (which is only mildly annoying) would be a lot worse on many systems, since I am running in an 8G system (so lots of disk cache which is NOT limitted by the 32-bit issue) and from an SSD.

This theory could probably be tested out. If correct it would have several implications:

1) Map size would not effect it (it's only the amount DISPLAYED that would matter)
2) Loading an old game, generated before the new terrain was added (and so without any instances of those graphics) would NOT show the problem.

If someone who has this badly is up for the test I can upload a max-compat game from an older version for them to try a few turns on to test (2)...

I got something I think is related to this. Its also what I'm preliminarily calling an order of opperations issue. I'm in the prehistoric era and after I get closer to the classical error I start getting slow downs/ stalls of everything, but the cursor (which moves around without issue) and random lag with the ability to interact with the controls random locked out for a bit. Its after the AI has gone and the running man cursor is resolved.

It will pop up a tech researched/ building/unit built or event... then slow down like mad (though the cursor is moving freely again, though it doesn't change when mousing over stuff) then it will give me control of the window again. Once I close the window it will move off to show me a random battle or two Then gives me another window to clear out... or sometimes this happens with no fight for a bit then it will lag like mad between/during windows to have a battle and then tosses up a new fight. Before going back to pop up a new window.

As far as I can tell the game is trying to process everything at once with no stops between things. Its in no particular order except that battles are apparently fighting everything else for resource priority. This is where I think a lot of slow down is happening. In short there isn't a turn phase for 'battles on automated units' and 'this is done style cue something else up' windows.

I got something I think is related to this. Its also what I'm preliminarily calling an order of operations issue. I'm in the prehistoric era and after I get closer to the classical error I start getting slow downs/ stalls of everything, but the cursor (which moves around without issue) and random lag with the ability to interact with the controls random locked out for a bit. Its after the AI has gone and the running man cursor is resolved.

It will pop up a tech researched/ building/unit built or event... then slow down like mad (though the cursor is moving freely again, though it doesn't change when mousing over stuff) then it will give me control of the window again. Once I close the window it will move off to show me a random battle or two Then gives me another window to clear out... or sometimes this happens with no fight for a bit then it will lag like mad between/during windows to have a battle and then tosses up a new fight. Before going back to pop up a new window.

As far as I can tell the game is trying to process everything at once with no stops between things. Its in no particular order except that battles are apparently fighting everything else for resource priority. This is where I think a lot of slow down is happening. In short there isn't a turn phase for 'battles on automated units' and 'this is done style cue something else up' windows.

First good observation, but you also need to say what version, and what your PC specs are, that would be very helpful also, thx.;)

I'm using version 17... I was using version 10 then stopped for a while as I was getting this kind of thing before. Specifically, I got sick of having my culture flips negated when it would auto close the window (defaulting to 'No' apparently), drag me off to watch a battle then not give me the chance to except control flips.

I not sure of my specs at this time as I've no clue how to get them out of Windows 7.

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

That looks like the relivant bits.

Edit... apparently I was running version10 after all. Why there is a Mod folder in a separtate saved games folder if it does nothing?

Edit... apparently I was running version10 after all.

WOW that explains alot, we have more than 90% since then improved the game and especially the turn times and the turn times keep getting better also, with the help from Koshling.

Why there is a Mod folder in a separtate saved games folder if it does nothing?

I dont quite understand what your saying, sorry:confused:

WOW that explains alot, we have more than 90% since then improved the game and especially the turn times and the turn times keep getting better also, with the help from Koshling.

Seriously Koshling must be an alchemist or something due to the amazing speed improvements he has done.

Or maybe he is a Timelord, making C2C bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

What I'm saying is that when I looked up the Mod folder under Beyond the Sword it showed me one in the documents section... what i needed was one in Appsdata (which I can only really get to through search), which is hidden for some reason if I go through the file tree from my computer. Also, I swear it didn't list C2C in the mods to load section (after I checked a few different times) until I put version 17 into the mods section under documents. At which point it let me see version 10 and use that thinking I just added version 17 to the right Mods folder.:crazyeye: I swear this also didn't move the apps folder to the top of the search list until I did this.

So either I was halucinating... Windows 7 is screwing with me or I skipped timeslines for a bit and came back to this one. Anyway its working now, so I'll file that under inexplicable and move on with things...

What I'm saying is that when I looked up the Mod folder under Beyond the Sword it showed me one in the documents section... what i needed was one in Appsdata (which I can only really get to through search), which is hidden for some reason if I go through the file tree from my computer. Also, I swear it didn't list C2C in the mods to load section (after I checked a few different times) until I put version 17 into the mods section under documents. At which point it let me see version 10 and use that thinking I just added version 17 to the right Mods folder.:crazyeye: I swear this also didn't move the apps folder to the top of the search list until I did this.

So either I was halucinating... Windows 7 is screwing with me or I skipped timeslines for a bit and came back to this one. Anyway its working now, so I'll file that under inexplicable and move on with things...

There is a thing with Windows Vista and 7 called Data Redirection. It creates a separate folder area for each user when you install files and such and will even trick you (and your software) into thinking you're installing it elsewhere, such as Program Files, but it's actually putting it in that user folder. That COULD be what is happening. You should be able to Google it for more details than I can provide.

Edit: Here is a link.

I have been looking at Zulu9812's suggestion that we may have too many python modules and that may be a cause of the stuttering. Unfortunately what I found was that a number of modules we have in the game are not actually activated. For example only about half of The_J's mods we have the code and XML for are being activated.

Anyway, I merged all The_J's components into one python and it seems to work fine. I have noticed no change I the stuttering but the it is not too bad on my old setup until the middle ages.

My question - should I push this to the SVN now or wait until after the next release? Since I can't get past the early industrial, due to my old machine, I have not been able to test it throughly. Is there time for SVN users to test it before the next release?

I have been looking at Zulu9812's suggestion that we may have too many python modules and that may be a cause of the stuttering. Unfortunately what I found was that a number of modules we have in the game are not actually activated. For example only about half of The_J's mods we have the code and XML for are being activated.

Anyway, I merged all The_J's components into one python and it seems to work fine. I have noticed no change I the stuttering but the it is not too bad on my old setup until the middle ages.

My question - should I push this to the SVN now or wait until after the next release? Since I can't get past the early industrial, due to my old machine, I have not been able to test it thoroughly. Is there time for SVN users to test it before the next release?

Yeah, go ahead and push it, i am currently in the Industrial Era.

btw, what python calls were not be called in The_J's modcomps? I get all of them to work? As far as i know:crazyeye:

OK, I will. I am merging the Tsentom1's ones now also.

The Militia, Sneak Promotion and espionage mods were not being activated as they did not have an ini file in Config or were missing an entry in init.xml - or maybe since it was a bad day yesterday I just could not find them.

OK, I will. I am merging the Tsentom1's ones now also.

The Militia, Sneak Promotion and espionage mods were not being activated as they did not have an ini file in Config or were missing an entry in init.xml - or maybe since it was a bad day yesterday I just could not find them.

umm, i know that Militia and Sneak work, because i am presently in the Industrial Era and am getting the Industrial Militia and the Sneak plunders from my Assassins.

You do remember to get the Militia you HAVE to have the civic Charity enabled, correct.

umm, i know that Militia and Sneak work, because i am presently in the Industrial Era and am getting the Industrial Militia and the Sneak plunders from my Assassins.

You do remember to get the Militia you HAVE to have the civic Charity enabled, correct.

There is no mention of Militia mod in the SVN version of init.xml nor any militia.xml to cause it to be loaded. That is one thing PythonErr2.log is useful for, it tells you which python modules have been loaded and in the SVN version Militia and Espionage weren't. I also tested in game with charity, built a farm and nothing. BTW why aren't there any units before medieval?

There is no mention of Militia mod in the SVN version of init.xml nor any militia.xml to cause it to be loaded. That is one thing PythonErr2.log is useful for, it tells you which python modules have been loaded and in the SVN version Militia and Espionage weren't. I also tested in game with charity, built a farm and nothing. BTW why aren't there any units before medieval?

Ok the Militia and Espionage are covered in the top area of Event in the init.xml file.

Code:
	<!-- Rise of Mankind -->
	<events module="WarPrizes">	</events>
	<events module="ScreenResolutionSize">	</events>
	<events module="CvWaterAnimalsModEventManager">	</events>
	<events module="NukeAfterEffects">	</events>
	<events module="Espionage">	</events>
	<events module="Militia">	</events>
	<events module="WarriorsOfGod">	</events>
	<events module="CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager">
	</events>
	<!-- Rise of Mankind end -->