Hell Hawk's World War II

Hell Hawk

Emperor
World War II starting in 1941 on a unique flat map, 4 teams and 12 players to choose from, contains Vanilla, Warlords, and BtS versions. No Mod required.

Axis:
Imperial Japan
Nazi Germany
Italian Empire
Minor Axis (Thailand, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria)

Allies:
British Empire
United States of America
Canada
Australia
Republic of China
Exiled Nations/Resistance (Free France, Holland, Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Poland, Yugoslavia) Headquartered in Iceland

Vichy France:
Vichy France (Axis vassal in Warlords and BtS)

USSR:
USSR

Please add any questions, comments, or suggestions to the thread.

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9814
World Map: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6945044#post6945044

Attachments

• Desert Warfare0000.JPG
    Desert Warfare0000.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,838
  • Eastern Front0000.JPG
    Eastern Front0000.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 1,630
  • Pacific0000.JPG
    Pacific0000.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,199
  • SE Asia0000.JPG
    SE Asia0000.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • WWII.PNG
    WWII.PNG
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,187
Seeing as it's not a mod, it should work fine with the latest patch, no?

Will check it out!;)

Checked it out (loads fine).

Looks promising, especially considering it isn't on a Huge map.

Needs some work though: several cities have like no improvements to speak of. I'd like also to suggest that the "partisan" units in Axis territory be made Riflemen or something (at least not equal to standard Axis Infantry). Apart from this, trying out Nazi Germany, I seem to start with no Artillery or surface fleet vessels.

I like the initial Japanese onslaught in the Pacific area, though (very neatly done, considering it isn't a mod). ;)

Thanks for the feedback JEELEN and Peter1501.

JEELEN I took two of your suggestions (fleet & artillery) and implemented them.

I'm not sure exactly what you referring to with lack of city improvements. I purposely made small/occupied cities have low amounts of improvements, and I left out financial/research buildings to stifle research. Is there any cities that don't fit that category, or is this set up causing gameplay issues?

Also with the partisan units, weaker ones wouldn't really amount to anything, and as they are standard infantry can only really pillage/camp forests mountains, they should be really easy for Germany to take out.

New Version

v1.1
Changed Game length to 180 turns (Ends September Week 1, 1945)
Fixed Australia's Adjective, Civ Type, and Art Style (last 2 probably irrelevant)
Bolstered American (San Fransisco and New York), British (London), and German (Hamburg) surface fleets.
Added Artillery to the Eastern Front

Things to work on:
Units seem to be disappearing to fast, could be combat, but may be lack of funds, or crappy AI.
Work on Espionage, particularly for Resistance factions.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know any other suggestions you have.

I'm not sure exactly what you referring to with lack of city improvements. I purposely made small/occupied cities have low amounts of improvements, and I left out financial/research buildings to stifle research. Is there any cities that don't fit that category, or is this set up causing gameplay issues?

Also with the partisan units, weaker ones wouldn't really amount to anything, and as they are standard infantry can only really pillage/camp forests mountains, they should be really easy for Germany to take out.

New Version

v1.1
Changed Game length to 180 turns (Ends September Week 1, 1945)
Fixed Australia's Adjective, Civ Type, and Art Style (last 2 probably irrelevant)
Bolstered American (San Fransisco and New York), British (London), and German (Hamburg) surface fleets.
Added Artillery to the Eastern Front

Things to work on:
Units seem to be disappearing to fast, could be combat, but may be lack of funds, or crappy AI.

:goodjob:

On lack of city improvements: for instance Germany's capital lacks certain quite basic city improvements (as do other German cities); by December 1941 German production should be focused on units mainly (not improving cities).

On Partizan units: partizan/resistance activity during WW II had overall a minimal effect on the German war effort and was mainly important on the Eastern front and in Yugoslavia (where it tied down military contingents that were sorely needed on the Eastern front).

On a related note: although the main German military presence was in Eastern Europe, there should be a reserve force in Western Europe (to thwart any Allied invasion attempt; in v. 1.0 I could take out 2 Partizans in France on turn 1, no more). If you keep Partizans as Infantry (which they were not, for most of the war), at least there should be more Panzers in like France).

On units disappearing: yes, lack of funds may be what does that. (Just give each civ a basic cash reserve; deficit spending played a huge part in WW II, but the Civ4 game engine doesn't seem to allow for that, alas...)

Other than that, I think this scenario is pretty good and deserves more feedback.:thumbsup:

:goodjob:

On lack of city improvements: for instance Germany's capital lacks certain quite basic city improvements (as do other German cities); by December 1941 German production should be focused on units mainly (not improving cities).

On Partizan units: partizan/resistance activity during WW II had overall a minimal effect on the German war effort and was mainly important on the Eastern front and in Yugoslavia (where it tied down military contingents that were sorely needed on the Eastern front).

On a related note: although the main German military presence was in Eastern Europe, there should be a reserve force in Western Europe (to thwart any Allied invasion attempt; in v. 1.0 I could take out 2 Partizans in France on turn 1, no more). If you keep Partizans as Infantry (which they were not, for most of the war), at least there should be more Panzers in like France).

On units disappearing: yes, lack of funds may be what does that. (Just give each civ a basic cash reserve; deficit spending played a huge part in WW II, but the Civ4 game engine doesn't seem to allow for that, alas...)

Other than that, I think this scenario is pretty good and deserves more feedback.:thumbsup:

I don't know why you're having issues with buildings, as the screenshot I've included shows, the only missing buildings are financial/research buildings and BtS exclusive buildings (which I'll get around to adding later). Everything else is included. There's also been no change here from 1.0

The Partisans in France really shouldn't be a problem unless you're playing at a high difficulty. Just bomb them and send one of the 2 Panzers in Paris or 5 Panzers in Berlin to finish them off. 1 turn, no partisans. I will consider adding more to the eastern front, and possibly consider just replacing them with spies.

The allies won't be able to even attempt to invade Germany for several months. They just don't start with a large enough land force as the US starts severely underpowered in that field, both for historic and gameplay reasons. Adding too many units to western Europe would allow a German player to redeploy too many units at the Soviets, and probably unbalance the game.

As for the units disappearing, I already gave each player a starting reserve of 10000 (this was in v1.0 too), but I suspect the AI might disband some if they're running in the red, even if they have plenty of funds to spare. Again, it might be for a different reason all together, I'm not sure yet.

Attachments

• Berlin0000.JPG
    Berlin0000.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 439
OK then... except for the screenshot, which exactly illustrates my point: no Library, Observatory, Marketplace, Bank, Courthouse, etc. in what is supposed to be the capital of the Reich. In 1941 these should already be present (as well as any extra contra/espionage buildings) and are quite basic improvements for a WW II scenario.

Disbanding military units may be related to attitude settings/leader traits, but, as you said, may just be AI stupidity (which you cleverly circumvented in the Japanese Pacific onslaught).;)

The AI will disband poorly trained units (i.e. ones with no promotions) even if it has huge cash reserves and can run a fairly high science/luxury/espionage rate. I had a lot of problems with that, too, before I figured out what was causing it.

The AI will disband poorly trained units (i.e. ones with no promotions) even if it has huge cash reserves and can run a fairly high science/luxury/espionage rate. I had a lot of problems with that, too, before I figured out what was causing it.

Ok, thanks. What degree of promotions do they need? Would giving every unit Combat I solve the problem, or is it anymore specific than that?

New Version 1.2 is up.

Changes:

- Changed world size to WORLDSIZE_HUGE (to slow research)
- Added Artillery to Asia, North Africa
- Gave each unit 5 Experience Points, should help fix units disappearing.
- Added Industrial Parks, Public Transportation, Intelligence Agencies and National Security to major cities (BtS only)
- Added Levees to major River cities (BtS only)
- Gave Allies a few thousand starting spy points against Axis & Vichy France so Resistance spies can operate from the start (BtS only)

Enjoy!
Please keep the feedback coming guys.

P.S. I don't actually have Warlords installed so I've had to reverse engineer that version from BtS, if somebody with Warlords could let me know if it works fine, that'd be appreciated.

Checked the Warlords version: works fine.:goodjob:

Played BtS v. 1.2 as Germany on Noble level til early 1942.

Some in-game comment:
- British main fleet should be stationed at "Shetland" (= Scapa Flow), screening destroyers around the British isles
- there should be at least 1-2 British Battleships + a Carrier (no Fighters on) in the Indian Ocean
- the Azores weren't British (although ships might be allowed in)
- the Pentagon isn't built yet (is this on purpose?)
- Nationalist China has the Great Wall (shouldn't it be in Beijing?)
- Global Warming seems to be turned on (off might be better)
- US East Coast destroyers were non-existent in Dec. '41; most were on Lend-Lease duty around Britain (I was down to 9 Subs total in just a couple of turns)
- Germany should start with 3 (Pocket) Battleships; GB should have at least 5
- Germany (and other civs) should have some Spies (either home or abroad, preferably both)
- Germany starts with virtually no Fighters on the Eastern Front*(where most of them should be) or Norway
- there seems to be no Russian force to launch their '41 winteroffensive (or they're just stupid)
- the Japanese Pearl Harbor attack force seems to be missing (leaving the US Pacific Fleet virtual intact)
- the Japanese have zero tanks (it's true they didn't amount to much, but a token few might be appropriate)
- certain civs start with no State Religion
- city sizes might be edited (for instance Australia has several medium sized cities on the North coast, whereas Batavia - the only city on Java - is the same size.

Anyway, I still like playing this one!;)

- I'll move the British fleet to Shetland next update.
- There already is 2 Battleships & a Carrier (with fighters) in the Indian Ocean
- The Azores were leased to the British in 1943 for the war. 1941 is a little early but it's the only way they'd fit in.
- Yes, the Pentagon isn't built on purpose, it wasn't finished until 1943. Besides, the US should have the least experienced troops of any nation.
- The Great Wall could accurately be placed in one of many cities, I decided to give it to Nationalist China because they don't start with much else.
- How do I turn Global Warming off?
- I'll get rid of those Destroyers
- I'll work on that for next version.
- Russia has about a half dozen tanks in outlying areas, all of them can get to Moscow on the starting turn, so this is probably AI stupidity.
- Since you can't sink ships in port, there's no real way to emulate Pearl Harbor, so I moved those Carriers near Wake, and just didn't add much of the Pacific fleet (Battleships)
- I'll replace a few Japanese Marines with tanks.
- Done one purpose, though I think the AI ends up changing it.
- I need to work on this a bit too.

Also, does anyone know how the Handicap=HANDICAP_ option works in world builder? For example, would making and AI Chieftain make them stronger or weaker?

Thx for explaining and you're welcome!

- The Azores were leased to the British in 1943 for the war. 1941 is a little early but it's the only way they'd fit in.

I noticed Timor (also Portuguese) is Free French; maybe the Açores should be too?

- How do I turn Global Warming off?

It's a Custom Scenario/Game option, I think.

- Russia has about a half dozen tanks in outlying areas, all of them can get to Moscow on the starting turn, so this is probably AI stupidity.

Well, early in '42 they attacked and took a Finnish city. Also, though I managed to take a Fort next to Moscow, it was too well defended to do much else and pretty soon they were reducing the force I fortified there.

- Since you can't sink ships in port, there's no real way to emulate Pearl Harbor, so I moved those Carriers near Wake, and just didn't add much of the Pacific fleet (Battleships)

Maybe the (supposedly damaged) ships should be at Los Angeles/San Francisco to simulate repairs?

Also, does anyone know how the Handicap=HANDICAP_ option works in world builder? For example, would making and AI Chieftain make them stronger or weaker?

It's the difficulty setting, so Chieftain makes it easier, Deity pretty hard.

Some more suggestions:
- maybe Civics should be locked (not much civics changing going on in WW II)
- Charles de Gaulle is misspelled

Playtest result til late 1942:

The Japanese navy seems to be virtually out of business by mid 1942 (seems a tad bit early); also, in my game they totally fail to take Hongkong and after the initial onslaught they don't do a lot (only took Kunming)* except slowly assimilate Nationalist China...

As Germany I lost my capital ships (except in the Mediterranean) and Bombers; Fighters need constant replacements and Panzer numbers are slowly dwindling. Very accurate so far!

* I think this relates to the City Improvements issue I mentioned before. Playing as Germany there's far too many Improvements that still need building (Germany proper - and Japan!) should be pretty much built up to the max. They way it is now I need to alternate building units with buildin Improvements that should have already been built. To illustrate: I haven't been able to take a single Soviet city, only managed to reduce Rostov's defenses (with Missiles!), so Horthy could finish the job for me.

I've had hours of fun on this scenario, but a few suggestions just thrown out there for a future version...

1. Create a "Neutral" civilization for Spain, Ireland, Mexico, Turkey and Sweden (Or do this and add Spain as a playable Civilization. I've heard we literally bribed them not to join the Axis, so it'd be interesting to play as Franco and pick a side)
2. Create two different "Axis" civilizations, a European and an Asian

Other than that, this is one of my top 5 scenarios you've gone and made (For what it's worth...)

heya hell hawk. i am having trouble with you mod. i downloaded the mod for my vanilla civ 4 and can't get it to work. i tried alan's mod installer, i put my installation of civ 4 in the window, then i tried dropping both the the .rar and then the unrared "Hell Hawk's World War II v1.2.Civ4WorldBuilderSave" onto the window and got the message "no files were installed as no matching locations for your files were found." then i made a folder called "hell hawk's" in the mod folder of my civ 4 installation, dropped the "Hell Hawk's World War II v1.2.Civ4WorldBuilderSave" there and started civ. under 'advanced', i chose 'load a mod', i found hell hawk's, clicked it and it said that it had to restart which it did. when i go under the option to 'play a scenario' it doesn't have hell hawk's as an option! when i do the same with american revolution, going under 'play a scenario' is how to make it work. looking into the hell hawk's mod folder after i've tried the above, i notice there isn't an assets folder like in the other mods. also, the "Hell Hawk's World War II v1.2.Civ4WorldBuilderSave.ini" file is only a 'civilization document' not a 'unix executable file' like in the other mod folders. i read on this site that clearing the cache is important. while i could not find the cache on my mac, i started the civ 4 with the shift held down and the messages were followed with "(uncached)". any help would be greatly appreciated. i apologize if this answer is detailed elsewhere. i admit that i only did a cursory search. i woke up this morning craving a scenario and am very frustrated right now. thanks again.

Top Bottom