Help improve the expansion pack!

Is the pillaging of improvements by aircraft something that is possible, or wanted? It was possible in prior games. I enjoy the airwar side of the game, but I rarely get that far before winning, or find the AI do not understand the power of aircraft and get slaughtered, more so with the auto healing promotion.

Thal, you mod is fantastic. LONG time lurker.

Hello all!

This is only my second post to this forum, although I've played the series since the second installment. Some of you might recognize my handle from another thread I started a few months ago griping about entrapment via cultural boundaries. I do believe it's still here.

Anyway... I've been playing the vanilla game (no G&K) until today >.<, so I didn't feel I had much business adding to these forums. Now that I'm up to speed, however, I'd very much like to contribute to the Communitas project however I can. I'm a newcomer to authoring mods, but I DO know computers and I'm no stranger to modding Civ V anymore.

I need to read the rest of this thread still as well as several others. But y'all are the pros and I have everything to learn, so... help me help I guess is what I'm saying.

Thanks!!

Civilization-unique buildings should have their tooltip describe which regular building they replace, like unique units do.

This is an exciting suggestion! I'll see what I can do...

I love the crap outta your mod. Is the todo list in the OP of this thread still accurate? Should I dig in?

I plan to update this thread in the next few days. :)

Is the pillaging of improvements by aircraft something that is possible, or wanted?
My brother mentioned the same thing when he was playing the other day. I would like to see that in the game too. I suspect it would require game core changes.

@Volver
I welcome anything you can provide. :goodjob:

Hi, Thalassicus! My city have gained access to all plots when Banaue Rice Terraces have builded. This seems to be a bug. I use last versions of GEM and CivUP for G&K.

There are a couple options for how to do the Banaue and Lalibela effects:
  • Increase yield on hills, with no other effects. This allows other cities to settle nearby and gain advantage from the effect on the wonder.
  • Increase yield on hills, and give those hills to the player with the wonder. This might seem a little odd, but avoids the side effects of option A.
  • Increase yield on hills within territory, and update it each turn based on tiles acquired or lost. This would work like similar effects for terrain or features, but I estimate it would require 5-10 hours of work to create this effect.
I chose to do B and spend the saved time on other priorities.

It's sort of like the effect on stonehenge/terra cotta/kremlin except with just hills right?

I'm surprised you can't just copy the code for Petra or something.

Also, given how totally rocking Petra is when near a bunch of desert hills, I am totally looking forward to the super-city, here.

What's the craziest yield, now? Desert hills with... Desert Faith + Petra + Laibela + Banaue? With some stone and river floating around somewhere, plus the occasional adobe option?

Makes me want to play an OCC with that city.

I could copy the petra code if I was more familiar with core modding. I can read and understand the core code, but don't know how to create core mods yet.

Very well.

Then I should note my very first disappointment regarding G+K was with the absence of a "Civ Up" style mod overhauling certain game mechanics. I guess I just assumed y'all would have published one by now but no?

Anyway, point is, as I go through this next game I'll make some notes :)

i think the pantheon choice Stone Circles should provide some sort of bonus enchancement for Stonehenge, as it like, the Boss of the stone circles

*crickets*...

Hope I haven't frightened everyone off :blush:

Anyway I've compiled a still-growing list of modifications I'd like to see addressed. I'm keen to share it with the forum for anyone interested and hopefully feedback of any sort. However as it's a rather lengthy list and I'm a newcomer to these forums, I feel I should first ask permission from whomever feels qualified to grant it, to do so.

Thanks!!

I feel qualified to grant it ;) You don't actually need to ask permission for anything. Especially not on a internet forum, there have been worse suggestion than your Stone Circles one ;) I would put your list in a new thread though. But I would give one advice:

Gameplay trumps Realism. Your suggestion of Stone Circles does make sense historically and does seem logical, but it doesn't really fit in with the other Pantheons, since the bonus would be very specific (helping one wonder) and no other pantheon has that. It also doesn't add much to the game or changes all that much (why I didn't comment when I first read the post). So, what's the point of the change? Do you feel Stone Circles needs a buff? Do you just want to add to the immersion feeling? (I'd agree with that, but with the caveat, that there needs to be a game design model visible, so all the Pantheons should work "similarly").

I don't want to discourage you though ;) I am curious to read the other suggestions.

I have finally made the 3 range city strike work, was missing the range code in 2 more functions in CvCity.cpp. The way it is done now only allows for a 3 range if city has specific building, but could be made more granular to give the 1-2-3 range. You get the notification when an enemy is within 3 tiles, but the red border around the city still shows at 2, will have to find it maybe it is in LUA.

Thal, I guess you don't want DLL modifications until Firaxis matches the code to the current game version, let me know if there is anything important that you would like changed at the DLL level.

Spoiler :
canRangeStrikeAt

int iAttackRange = GC.getCITY_ATTACK_RANGE();

// City range +1 (3) if has military base
if(IsHasBuildingThatAllowsRangeStrike())
{
iAttackRange++;
}
// End

DoNearbyEnemy()

int iSearchRange = GC.getCITY_ATTACK_RANGE();
CvPlot* pBestPlot = NULL;

// City range +1 (3) if has military base
if(IsHasBuildingThatAllowsRangeStrike())
{
iSearchRange++;
}
// End

For the 1-2-3 I could do a trick, IsHasBuildingThatAllowsRangeStrike has to be modified to return a number instead of bool and then only certain buildings should have the tag AllowsRangeStrike set to true.

So for example, no buildings = range 1, having a castle = range 2, military base = range 3

I should note my very first disappointment regarding G+K was with the absence of a "Civ Up" style mod overhauling certain game mechanics.

I expected this too, since they included mods in Civ 4 expansion packs. I don't know why things were different this time. *shrugs*

@Volver
I think it would work for the Stone Circles pantheon to give something like +1:c5faith: to Stonehenge. It's a small enough bonus that it would not affect most decision-making, but would provide aesthetic appeal.

@rf900
It might be best to add a "CityRange" integer attribute to the Buildings table, and use combinations of that with AllowsRangeStrike boolean to determine range strikes. This would let modders specify any range they wish, instead of hardcoding it to +1 range per building.

If I could ask just one core mod of you, it would be to figure out how to add the InstantBorderRadius building attribute as a c++ core mod. If you can do that, I can use the knowledge of how you accomplish it to make all the other building attributes as core mods.

A building with this attribute expands city borders to a ring of InstantBorderRadius size. The code in CiVUP_Events.lua is simply:

Code:
    local borderExpand = buildingInfo.InstantBorderRadius
    if borderExpand ~= 0 then
        for _, adjPlot in pairs(Plot_GetPlotsInCircle(plot, 1, borderExpand)) do
            if adjPlot:GetOwner() == -1 then
                adjPlot:SetOwner(playerID, city:GetID())
            end
        end
    end

The InstantBorderRadius attribute is added to the Buildings table here:
Civup/1_Core_Roots/CiVUP_Start.sql
Code:
ALTER TABLE Buildings ADD InstantBorderRadius integer default 0;

Plot_GetPlotsInCircle is here, a critical function used in dozens of places in the mod:
Civup/2_ModTools_Trunk/1_ClassMethods/MT_Plot.lua

If you can turn just that one building attribute into a core c++ mod (and Plot_GetPlotsInCircle), the knowledge of how you did it would dramatically help the project. I could use the same approach to do all the other building attributes. The process would eventually eliminate most or all lag people experience playing this mod, since c++ is much faster than lua. It would also open up many possibilities which are only feasible with core modding. I really cannot over-emphasize how important that would be, if you can accomplish it!

I've been planning to figure this out, eventually, but had to focus on other priorities first.

Top Bottom