Help Me Do Well: Master Willem in Imperial Lands (yes, Emperor level!)

I think I'd be inclined to grab Metal Casting or Monarchy from The Oracle. The former being great trade-bait and the latter being a very welcome happiness boost, as is really needed on this start. Monarchy can also net you some decent trade value if you swap it around quickly enough. The AI's tend to make it a priority.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am no solid Emperor player yet :)

Oracle Hunting? Shurely Shome Mishtake.

I'd be very tempted by Monarchy for the happies. But that's me; I know nothing.

I was joking :p

Needed a little stress break, so gave this one a quick run.

Knocked out my whole continent with just Horse Archers, and then went on over-seas.

LOL @ French Frigate killing my Attack Submarine.
Spoiler :

If only you'd thought to put a 'please put shadow comments/discussions in spoilers' request in your OP eh?

Eh, it's not gamebreaking--"there is France" doesn't really tell me much except that I suspect it's Napoleon because at least two wonders have gone on our continent, neither of them by Industrious civs.

I wish he hadn't, but I'm not fussed about it.

Yeah, the next round is played; I've just got to find time to sit down and write it up. Been a busy week without a lot of time to sit down forever and commit to writing. Maybe tomorrow, definitely this weekend if not.

And my first venture back to Emperor in a while.

I won a late 1946AD domination victory...
Spoiler :

All in all this is a pretty easy start to win IMO.

Details regarding my game:
Spoiler :

Despite the abundant early food and production, I didn't go for an early war. Closing off most of the continent was easy, but it took me a while before my economy could sustain the cities, largely because of happiness issues. I really should have gone for Monarchy ASAP once I realized there were no happiness resources to be had (except for the far away fur). And in hindsight I should have pillaged and razed my neighbors just to slow them down and make some easy cash.

I first warred against Hamurabi who was small and behind in tech. Pretty easy war, mostly Maces, Trebs and Cats against Longbows and Maces, later on I brought in a few knights as well. Lesson for the future: trebs are cheap and effective, let's do more of those!

I kept most cities, brought the good ones online quickly using the whip, popped a golden age for two GSs and a switch to CE with my cottages mostly online. Finally made contact overseas, self-teched and traded into a tech lead, finished quite a bit of infrastructure and switched to major military production. I opened war on Elizabeth with Infantry and Cannon, and though she put up a fight my stacks were great by this point and the Cannon very effective, so she went down quickly.

Then on to overseas war, where both continents each had a strong AI with a vassal. I sat down to get my economy up again with the new cities and tech transports and marines. Also, DIKES! Anyways, these were modern wars with railroads on their continents, so the first one went slowly since I had numbers on my side but they had a slight tech advantage, for instance jet fighters which really made bombing a problem and forces the use of artillery. The vassal broke free early and I made peace while I wiped out the stronger foe, and then went on to conquer the ex-vassal as well, but this was all after they were effectively already broken. My tanks (Modern Armor, no less!) eventually prevailed :)

Taking over the second (larger) continent was enough for the domination victory, once the conquered cities came out of revolt.

Obviously a faster take-over of the initial continent would have allowed a much sooner overseas invasion, which is much much easier before railroads come into play.

Thanks for posting the game, it was fun! Waiting to see you write-up...

- Tal

Question for O.P not related but still...

Where can I find mods for editing the user interface? I see you have the game tell you when cities are about to grow and such, and I was just wondering which mod that is and where I can find it :o

Yeah, the next round is played; I've just got to find time to sit down and write it up. Been a busy week without a lot of time to sit down forever and commit to writing. Maybe tomorrow, definitely this weekend if not.

Yeah, there's no way this is going to happen. A ton of stuff just came crashing down on my head, and the only way to deal with it is going to be "work, work, and more work." I think I'm probably done here.

Sorry, guys.

Lol Fractal maps can be so broken.

1866 Space

Spoiler :

Settling towards liz/ham early and taking an early alpha ----> currency path (traded for IW) allowed full set of currency/col/calendar/monarchy/bureaucracy by 150 AD or so.

I got 18 cities unopposed. That accounted for just over 25% of the world's land without capturing a single city (not even a barb city). Nobody lifted a finger as the high-octane expansion pulled ~1100 AD democracy and then the cottage carpet took off. Other than spreading irrigation for AG specials, I cottaged every flatland tile I could just to be an ass. I didn't even bother to change it while building space parts.

By 1866, I had every tech in the game including future tech. AI got blown out so badly I didn't even consider internet.

Land screw in favor of the human :/. Derp WINZOR :D.

Yeah, this was an easy one. I decided to finish up tonight just for the hell of it. In the last round I was prepared to write up, I'd gotten Confucianism and Taoism almost by accident, so I decided to go culture... after wiping Izzy and Hammy off the continent with Cuirs and Cavs. By the end, every religion except Judaism had been founded on my continent. The only real threat was Napoleon, who was hilariously behind in tech and was busy having a war of attrition with Zara. That left me free to spend the endgame spreading missionaries around, securing the border cities, and building cathedrals in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hague.

Victory came in 1830, and yeah, it was a blowout.

So I'm sorry I didn't finish this up, but the bunch of stuff that came crashing down on my head is good (My writers' group is putting out a short fiction anthology, I'm on the editorial board and contributing a story or two, and a bunch of deadlines just suddenly got moved up, which means more stress but yay woo name in print etc.). I do appreciate all the help you guys have been willing to give some nerd from Ohio who wanted to suck less at a video game. I've come away from all of this a better player for sure.

So--for maybe the last time--thanks again, guys!

P.S. In playing the game tonight I completely forgot to do my evening workout, which I'm somehow going to blame on you lot. So thanks a lot, jerks! :p

Top Bottom