Help with Pirates! Yarr! by Paasky

Why? Don't know, maybe they weren't finished.
purpose? Pirates being sea based have The Undead to appose them in scale, maybe the Cherokee are land based distraction but not at the same scale.

I would say a basic unit. if that unit isn't the same for every faction make each something that if Spain Captured Frances unit the Spanish would now have the ability to transport twice the rate, so maybe these units need something researched or the only way you could get the unit is from upgrading a base unit which would cost you gold. This would give each player an incentive to grab from another that upgraded unit allowing a cheap way of producing the carrying unit. If I remember the European Capitols produce very high gpt, maybe that scope can be leveled.

I think they have no purpose other than unit cost. The unit name Mailrunner is intriging thow, it sounds like it would be essential, but in the game it isn't.

If Frigates and Galleons etc are enslaveable and convertable the previous units aren't needed

As it starts Spain has all treasures, and all will need to battle Spain to get their share, that puts Spain as a early focus and depending on where the treasures are located verses the location of the others there would be an unbalanced issue. As for the Pirates when they bring a captured treasure to thier capitol something entirely diferent happens and that is great if they have the same chance of winning as the others.

If the Europeans together or separate when after the Pirates, the pirates would be defeated nearly immediately.

I know you working on this and have a steps and priorities, so this is just early thinking and if this is a direction you want to go in this might help you decide the tech stuff or how things connect

Those "Undead Squids" are cool!!! Did you do that?

all europeans will be producing treasure by way of plantations and mines and ranches or maybe slaves. I am going to change the cherokee and make them mesoamerican. I will place their villages in central, south and north america. Their villages will produce, gold, and other goods which can bee captured and converted to either gold, VP, or increase in population or shields for production. I may decrease the variety of ships, but increase the options of each type of ship by way of upgrading. example, you have a frigate armed with 30 6# guns. You have an A/D of 40/40. If you build a shipyard you will be able to upgrade your vessel (frigate) with copper sheathing and thus increase your defense by a factor of 10 so your A/D is now 30/40. Build a cannon foundry and increase you attack streangth by 10 for an A/D of 40/40 and so. Add cotton sails and increase you spead by 2 points and so forth.

Yes the squid is mine, I didn't create it, I just put it in there. Have you seen the sea monster?

I have more surprises for you. The undead will be playable, he he, wait til you see their captain and crews.

If you build a shipyard you will be able to upgrade your vessel (frigate) with copper sheathing and thus increase your defense by a factor of 10 so your A/D is now 30/40.

Just a thought: copper sheeting on the hull of a vessel was not a defensive enhancement. It was used to prevent boreworms from destroying the wooden timbers and planking.
I know it is not a big issue, I just thought I'd mention it.

Just a thought: copper sheeting on the hull of a vessel was not a defensive enhancement. It was used to prevent boreworms from destroying the wooden timbers and planking.
I know it is not a big issue, I just thought I'd mention it.

Yes he he I know that. we could say iron scathing but that would just add to an already bloated list of items that require iron. If we attached a resource requirement to everything that required iron, the game would crash. We could change it to chain scathing, oops, that's iron too. Would you like to be able to upgrade to bronze cannons?

Just do what the makers of AoI V4 did. Just link those that need iron to require iron and put a text on iron's civilopedia graphic that reads: "Don't press". :p

Just do what the makers of AoI V4 did. Just link those that need iron to require iron and put a text on iron's civilopedia graphic that reads: "Don't press". :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Arex ..... I love you man, really I do, but go back and read that thread again. He he he he. Then go home, put an empty box on the kitchen table and tell everyboby, DON"T OPEN THAT. HE HE HE.

Absolutely Tom. I have to admit it, I dl'ed it ......... hey, you KNOW I clicked it.
I knew what was going to happen. BUUUUUT, I just had to do it.

Kind of like Steph's Storyboard Builder.. it has a button that says Click me if you dare... and guess what, I DID! :) Now what happened after that, I will not say :lol:

Tom

all europeans will be producing treasure by way of plantations and mines and ranches or maybe slaves. I am going to change the cherokee and make them mesoamerican. I will place their villages in central, south and north america. Their villages will produce, gold, and other goods which can bee captured and converted to either gold, VP, or increase in population or shields for production. I may decrease the variety of ships, but increase the options of each type of ship by way of upgrading. example, you have a frigate armed with 30 6# guns. You have an A/D of 40/40. If you build a shipyard you will be able to upgrade your vessel (frigate) with copper sheathing and thus increase your defense by a factor of 10 so your A/D is now 30/40. Build a cannon foundry and increase you attack streangth by 10 for an A/D of 40/40 and so. Add cotton sails and increase you spead by 2 points and so forth.

Yes the squid is mine, I didn't create it, I just put it in there. Have you seen the sea monster?

I have more surprises for you. The undead will be playable, he he, wait til you see their captain and crews.
Very good stuff!!
I think after the first game starts I'll want to play as the Undead for the second game

Edit; Maybe it has a very good chance of capturing other vessels

I can't think of a special application for which it would be used, it sounds generic.

All the Pirates need is a battleship(Flagship) type vessel, a fast hit and run vessel, both having transport capabilites and maybe a few other types to make stratigies possible.

The pirates must have a good chance of success because it really is the rest of the leaders against them. but not extreme because the pirates will only be in a few areas at one time verses the europeans will be everywhere. so the pirates should be able to make a very good effect where ever they might venture.

I hope that made sense.

A generic "vessel" could have been a placeholder for something

Here is the latest update on this redux of the Pirates scenario.
This is not a completed scenario. As of this time, I have updated the units, and the buildings. I have eliminated the Cherokee, and added several units both european and pirates. Ships have been eliminated, changed, and some new ones have been added.

In the next phases I will be finalising the unit combat and defense capabilities and adding upgrades for naval units. More buildings will be added. and the civilopedia will be revamped as well as the civilization advances ( tech tree ). The resouces will be added and starting units will be put in place.

The current biq files has no starting units and only some resources have been placed on the map.

here are the scenario files and BIQ file as they appear now.

Pirates

I had to do it! I Started a sp game as the undead hehe, oh man I'm liken all that your doing here. I looked at some of the pedia entries for the undead's ship and seen ships with tatered sails I'm impressed!!! I just wondee why they are located at he extreme edge of the map? Although I see that ship building takes just one turn or so so I guess that doesn't matter

Anyway at some point I received this error just in case you didn't know about it

I had to do it! I Started a sp game as the undead hehe, oh man I'm liken all that your doing here. I looked at some of the pedia entries for the undead's ship and seen ships with tatered sails I'm impressed!!! I just wondee why they are located at he extreme edge of the map? Although I see that ship building takes just one turn or so so I guess that doesn't matter

Anyway at some point I received this error just in case you didn't know about it

Glad you like it so far. I am adding units and graphics that were created by many different members. I will include a complete list of those artists when we release the scenario.

Thanks for the heads up on the error, I will fix that for the next update.

You can correct your copy by editting the Pediaicon.txt. Add the following to the pediaicon.txt file at the end (Bottom) of the file.
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_corvette1
corvette1

Wow, man, this is progressing fast! I didn't come here for two weeks, and now we already have a completely overhauled scenario...!

I like it that the number of different ship types has been reduced a bit. I found it too confusing. Just a few basic types
(e.g what comes to my mind:
  • fast transport that can carry one treasure
  • slower transport that can carry two
  • heavily armed transport, which is slow and can carry only one, but hard to crack
  • fast warship with light arms
  • slower warship with heavy arms
)
And each of these types can then be upgraded 2-3 times, as we advance through the tech tree. (Better cannons, better sail, etc...)
And then of course each faction should have their own special unit that only they can build. For example the Spanish have a special transport (Spanish Galleon) with a very tough defense and/or more transport capability, the English their Man-Of-War, the Pirates a special ship that can be warship+transport at the same time (so they can carry their booty back home...:D ).
The Pirates could start with their UU right away, while the Europeans first need to research a tech or two. Question is: will these start a GA or not? I think a GA will be good in this scenario, because it would reflect history quite well: they Spanish were the leading nation in the 16th century, while the British had to catch up for a long time until they became the world leader. So in this game we could make sure that Spain and Portugal get a quite early GA, while England & France will be much later.

Also Spain & Portugal should be strong early on, but with no potential for further growth (so they'll eventually decline). England and France start weak, but have potential for further growth. Perhaps we could give only England & France the possibility to built settlers, so they can slowly set up a second "productive core" in North America, while Spain & Portugal are left with what they start with?
This would also make it a bit easier for the Pirates, if in the beginning they only have to deal with two strong European nations instead of four...

BTW: you probably noticed that I've been talking about Portugal here all the time... I just realized now it's not in the scenario... :crazyeye: Could we just replace the Netherlands with Portugal? I think they fit better into this scenario, because the Netherlands had no American colonies, afaik, only colonies in Java, Sumatra, ect. (Ok, the Dutch founded New York (Nieuw Amsterdam), but I think they soon had to retreat from America and then concentrated on Indonesia?!)
(Just an idea. Colonial history is not really my topic.)

Cheers and thanks a lot for all the hard work so far! I really look forward to this scenario!
Lanzelot

As the Undead I can't move the Seamonster out of the city

can't load a buckineer onto a Heavy frigate(transports1)

I will take a look at the seamonster.

The heavy frigate is only available to the french, English and netherlands. Warships (Engish, French, Spain and Netherlands) will only transport 2 types of units. Officers and marines. Transports will only have small or no A/D. The reason for this, is that the Europeans will thus be forced to utilize their warships to convoy their treasure ships or leave them open to pirate attack. The euopeans will be less likely to commit all their seapower to attacking pirate strongholds.

Strong european ground units can only be built in europe and must be transported to the new world in transports. These transports must again be accompanied by powerful naval units or be left open to pirate attack.

coastal batteries are very important and are very powerful. They are immobile, but have the ability to attack multiple times. They have attack and defense strength, so they must be reduced before an assault can be made on the fortress, town, or stronghold. The AI will no longer sit off shore and bombard the city, fortress, or stronghold but rather avoids such action.

All ground units enslaved by pirates will now become pirate conscripts, and will be upgradable to buccaneers, which can be upgraded to pirates. Captains will upgrade to Pirate captains.

European ships will be able to upgade 2 or three times to a different class of ship. Example. A ship of the line will upgrade to a SOTL 3rd rate, to SOTL 2nd rate to Ship of the Line 1st rate. Same will be true of the Man O War, Heavy Frigate and Frigate. Galleons will have 3rd class, 2nd class and 1st class. In order to obtain these upgrades players will have to research certain techs and build certain buildings to be able to upgrade their units.

The colonies will only be able to build colonial units.

Lancelot has expressed an opinion and desire that the portugese should be included. This could allow the addition of another human player to the mix. If you think this is a good idea, express your opinion here.

The Portuguese is a very good idea and they would have been active in this kind of situation/period.
The Cherokee is gone so they would be a much better fit.

This puts a shifts on the European side, but I can tell you are into making this balanced so I for one like the idea.

So how will each faction win?
What is supposed to happen when the pirate's capture a treasure and return it to their Capitol?

I REALLY like the upgrade stuff and transport stuff you mentioned.
I can't wait to be attacked be a seamonster and see that

(That Heavy Frigate appeared inside the Undead city around 3rd or 4th turn)

I have had this scenario on my mind almost a year now, playing it out in my head, seeing how each leader works together but only to their own advantage, seeing the treasure stolen at the very last opportunity by anybody and then stolen again by someone else. All a part of devious and complex Strategy. Or Someone's Navy completely destroyed by a superior Navy buy onlt to find that the reason why that Navy was weak is because a major Ground offensive snatching the core of his cities. I shake my Head. Within the first 5 turns the game is as rich in depth as anyone would expect from their late game efforts in most other civ3 games. Here in this scenario it really isn't the Pirates the Europeans fear, it should be anyone or everyone.

Do you know how to make the end result an exe file?

Top Bottom