1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Hesha's Random Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Hesha, Jan 2, 2020.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I've never seen forest grow on camp either. However, thinking about it I've probably chopped all the forests around it. Forest spawn needs adjacent forest. Would be worth a test.

I used to think a forest would not grow on a road but tested it once during a previous discussion, and it did happen. When I play though I don't ever see it....granted I chop most forests away early.

2. Hesha

Hesha Prince

Found this old thread on forest growth: This would have been an excellent feature! Plantable forests with the same maturation time as towns. Cottage stage yields no chop hammers, hamlet 10, village 20, town full 30. This would be fantastic and make National Park and Tundra cities just that little more viable to make them interesting.

3. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

The source code god DanF5771 confirmed it in this thread

krikav likes this.
  4. Hesha

Hesha Prince

Do resources that don't usually have forest on them prevent forest growth? I'm thinking copper and (I think) ivory?

5. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Yeah, forest/jungle won't grow on resources that can't spawn naturally jungled/forested. For example, jungle won't spread on corn but will spread on rice. Having an unit standing on the tile will prevent the spread.

6. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

However, forests can grow back on Fort tiles even if there are units present. I got video proof!

Fish Man, f1rpo, Hesha and 2 others like this.
  7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It wouldn't be hard to implement since it's already present in Colonization which runs off the same engine.

Hesha likes this.
  8. Hesha

Hesha Prince

Great news. How do you feel about it?

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I've always thought there should be a grow forest in CIV. Yes, wood is a renewable resource. You should be able to grow it to harvest it.
    Early in the game you clear cut. and then latter you put the effort into growing it back for the health benefits and the improvements.

10. Hesha

Hesha Prince

The hardest part would probably be to represent it graphically. Although I'd be happy with displaying it as a normal forest and just providing the yield information in the tool tip.

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

In colonization, it's handled quite easy. There's either a forest there, or there's not. ;)
    In between there's either a worker/pioneer either chopping or planting.

12. Hesha

Hesha Prince

Is the forest fully harvestable once it's been created?

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, I think so, but it's not something I do that often. My excess pioneer turns are usually used for roads.

14. Hesha

Hesha Prince

Okay, I see. Gee, I haven't played Col since release. I didn't like it. Or rather, I prefer the original which I still play quite regularly!

15. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I have played some of the original Colonization recently, but only very early turns. Maybe I will try a shadow game and win for once.

May I threadjack with a random question?

How many turns of grace are there before an AI might declare war on you?

I’m asking, because if I start a game with no random events and no tribal villages, then the only way for Barbarians to show up is if they spawn. With a grace period, there are turns where I don’t have to build any military.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Darn, I don't remember exactly but my brain is telling me it's only 10 turns. I'm sure someone who does a lot of worker stealing will come along and correct me.