[BTS] Hesha's Random Questions

I've never seen forest grow on camp either. However, thinking about it I've probably chopped all the forests around it. Forest spawn needs adjacent forest. Would be worth a test.

I used to think a forest would not grow on a road but tested it once during a previous discussion, and it did happen. When I play though I don't ever see it....granted I chop most forests away early.

^^Automated workers are pretty evil when you don't have the "let the forests alone" and the "leave old improvements alone" ticked.... :lol:

On topic: forets in Civ IV are really badly handled.... I sometimes wonder why they didn't let to plant forests and apply a mechanism similar to the cottages ones, but reversed: a long time unworked forest would give a lot more hammers than a freshly planted one.
Found this old thread on forest growth: This would have been an excellent feature! Plantable forests with the same maturation time as towns. Cottage stage yields no chop hammers, hamlet 10, village 20, town full 30. This would be fantastic and make National Park and Tundra cities just that little more viable to make them interesting.

Do resources that don't usually have forest on them prevent forest growth? I'm thinking copper and (I think) ivory?

Do resources that don't usually have forest on them prevent forest growth? I'm thinking copper and (I think) ivory?
Yeah, forest/jungle won't grow on resources that can't spawn naturally jungled/forested. For example, jungle won't spread on corn but will spread on rice. Having an unit standing on the tile will prevent the spread.

Found this old thread on forest growth: This would have been an excellent feature! Plantable forests with the same maturation time as towns. Cottage stage yields no chop hammers, hamlet 10, village 20, town full 30. This would be fantastic and make National Park and Tundra cities just that little more viable to make them interesting.
It wouldn't be hard to implement since it's already present in Colonization which runs off the same engine.

I've always thought there should be a grow forest in CIV. Yes, wood is a renewable resource. You should be able to grow it to harvest it.
Early in the game you clear cut. and then latter you put the effort into growing it back for the health benefits and the improvements.

The hardest part would probably be to represent it graphically. Although I'd be happy with displaying it as a normal forest and just providing the yield information in the tool tip.

In colonization, it's handled quite easy. There's either a forest there, or there's not. ;)
In between there's either a worker/pioneer either chopping or planting.

Yeah, I think so, but it's not something I do that often. My excess pioneer turns are usually used for roads.

Okay, I see. Gee, I haven't played Col since release. I didn't like it. Or rather, I prefer the original which I still play quite regularly!

I have played some of the original Colonization recently, but only very early turns. Maybe I will try a shadow game and win for once.

May I threadjack with a random question?

How many turns of grace are there before an AI might declare war on you?

I’m asking, because if I start a game with no random events and no tribal villages, then the only way for Barbarians to show up is if they spawn. With a grace period, there are turns where I don’t have to build any military.

Darn, I don't remember exactly but my brain is telling me it's only 10 turns. I'm sure someone who does a lot of worker stealing will come along and correct me.

Top Bottom