Hi, new to civ III with questions

well won my first builder game on deity, 1430 space race. one thing I noticed is the computer doesn't try to win. they just kinda do stuff, and then lose.

I only killed one person, babylon. not sure when one should switch the main cities to wealth so I built lotsa stuff. but originally my build order was barracks, marketplace, factory, coal plant, library, university, research lab, police station. I think some places had banks early to buy techs(I was as far as one age behind). and I ended up w/ courthouses and stuff in farther away places.

oh and I built seti(as americans) and didnt get my golden age, which annoyed me to no end. why would it stiff me like this?

Congrats! I still remember my first win on Diety. I was singing to myself for days afterwards. I hope you feel just as happy.
yavoon said:
oh and I built seti(as americans) and didnt get my golden age, which annoyed me to no end. why would it stiff me like this?
Excuse the obvious question but did you already have an 'industrious' wonder? Remember that you need to satisfy both wonder traits to kick off a GA with a wonder build.

BTW did you get a GA in the end or did you win without it?

I really think that you should try a civ with a MA UU. I used to think that the Americans were a great civ but now I appreciate that there are so many civs worthy of a game. If you can win on Deity with the Americans, you will surely dominate the AI with another civ. How about the Ottomans as they are still industrious and have an awesome UU?

Tone said:
Congrats! I still remember my first win on Diety. I was singing to myself for days afterwards. I hope you feel just as happy.Excuse the obvious question but did you already have an 'industrious' wonder? Remember that you need to satisfy both wonder traits to kick off a GA with a wonder build.

BTW did you get a GA in the end or did you win without it?

I really think that you should try a civ with a MA UU. I used to think that the Americans were a great civ but now I appreciate that there are so many civs worthy of a game. If you can win on Deity with the Americans, you will surely dominate the AI with another civ. How about the Ottomans as they are still industrious and have an awesome UU?

well I already beat deity before several times, but that was by domination.

and I didnt know about that wonder thing, u need both? not cool. but yah I had no golden age, I tried hard w/ my f-15's and they had fighters, but I never got a win. if I go next to a city and bomb it and have f-15's on air superiority will they intercept the planes that intercept my bombers? my guess is no, just because well, that'd make it too easy!

yavoon said:
well I already beat deity before several times, but that was by domination.

and I didnt know about that wonder thing, u need both? not cool. but yah I had no golden age, I tried hard w/ my f-15's and they had fighters, but I never got a win. if I go next to a city and bomb it and have f-15's on air superiority will they intercept the planes that intercept my bombers? my guess is no, just because well, that'd make it too easy!

I am no expert in modern age warfare, but I think you might have good chances to get a win eventually with an F-15, if you use the F-15 themselves to bomb. With a bit of luck you trigger some AI air superiority fighters and with a bit more luck win a battle.

Lord Emsworth said:
I am no expert in modern age warfare, but I think you might have good chances to get a win eventually with an F-15, if you use the F-15 themselves to bomb. With a bit of luck you trigger some AI air superiority fighters and with a bit more luck win a battle.

I tried that too, I think ur right that it woulda worked but it failed like 6 times so I lost faith in that in the moment and went on w/o a golden age.

oh yah crazy thing happened in my builder game. zulu landed on my island out of the fog and proceeded to ROP rape me w/ my own railroads and razed one of my core cities. I tried to block them off sorta but I happen to have very few units and/or workers at the time(I was airlifting the units and I'd used a lot of workers to pop a lot of settlers out).

I didnt even know the computer would do something that devious. I ended up building hospitals around where the city use to be and eating up its tiles w/ them. building a new city just seemed useless considering how long it would take to get going.

how much do continuing agreements dissuade the ai from attacking u? because I'm in a game where I'm giving the zulu 12 gpt and have a ROP and they're polite, and our borders dont touch and they still just came down and attacked me. and this is in 1300 BC, which is really extra annoying because I haven't upgraded my warriors yet. god.

its like they're human backstabbers or something! this is actually different from my previous post, I suppose the zulu are just asses?

yavoon said:
how much do continuing agreements dissuade the ai from attacking u?
I'm afraid I have no idea. In my case it's just based upon experience rather than a scientific study that makes me feel that it is less likely. The deal does improve the AI attitude towards you though.
...because I'm in a game where I'm giving the zulu 12 gpt and have a ROP and they're polite, and our borders dont touch and they still just came down and attacked me.and this is in 1300 BC, which is really extra annoying because I haven't upgraded my warriors yet.
ROPs do improve AI attitude as well but I never use them anymore. I might yet play a game where I need to sign one but I honestly can't remember the last time I used one. Also note that the Zulu have the highest aggression rating. In my games, I never totally let my guard down on the Zulu, Aztecs and Germans to name but three. I certainly wouldn't give them an invitation to roam my lands, probing for any weak points with my blessing.

Just because the AI is polite doesn't mean that they won't attack. I'm glad that there is a certain amount of unpredictability in the game. A human player could be on good terms with an AI, trading resources, maybe an ally in a war but all the while could have designs on taking the AIs land to stop having to pay for those resources, etc. The closer the AI mimics behaviour like that, the better the game is IMO. I don't know how sophisticated the algorithm is that triggers an AI attack but it surely takes into account what there is to gain, what there is to lose and how strong you are. Maybe as you had no strong attacking units, you looked like a juicy target, ripe for the taking.

I'm not saying that it isn't annoying when it happens sometimes and I'm not saying that I don't take risks. I just try to spot the warning signs and have a plan B whenever possible. In your case were you able to hook the iron up very quickly? Maybe you also had horses in which case you could have built a few of those to help disuade an attack or at least deal with it until the swords were up and running.

BTW sometimes there is a very good reason for an AI attack but you just don't see it for a few thousand years. In one of my first attempts at Sid, I played a 'pelago map (to give me some time to expand) and I managed to get a smallish island to myself. I traded heavily, and even gifted techs to a couple of civs when entering the new ages, and my relations with AI civs were all very good. This did not stop the swine trying to sneak attack me though, even though I had selected some of the less aggressive civs as part of the set of rivals. By the IA I had been declared upon by all of the civs (not all at the same time though; I used alliances to avoid getting dogpiled) and yet the landings were all in the same area. I had no resources there at the time so I knew that something good was going to pop up at some point. It later turned out that I had two of the three sources of Uranium on my island.

Tone said:
I'm afraid I have no idea. In my case it's just based upon experience rather than a scientific study that makes me feel that it is less likely. The deal does improve the AI attitude towards you though.ROPs do improve AI attitude as well but I never use them anymore. I might yet play a game where I need to sign one but I honestly can't remember the last time I used one. Also note that the Zulu have the highest aggression rating. In my games, I never totally let my guard down on the Zulu, Aztecs and Germans to name but three. I certainly wouldn't give them an invitation to roam my lands, probing for any weak points with my blessing.

Just because the AI is polite doesn't mean that they won't attack. I'm glad that there is a certain amount of unpredictability in the game. A human player could be on good terms with an AI, trading resources, maybe an ally in a war but all the while could have designs on taking the AIs land to stop having to pay for those resources, etc. The closer the AI mimics behaviour like that, the better the game is IMO. I don't know how sophisticated the algorithm is that triggers an AI attack but it surely takes into account what there is to gain, what there is to lose and how strong you are. Maybe as you had no strong attacking units, you looked like a juicy target, ripe for the taking.

I'm not saying that it isn't annoying when it happens sometimes and I'm not saying that I don't take risks. I just try to spot the warning signs and have a plan B whenever possible. In your case were you able to hook the iron up very quickly? Maybe you also had horses in which case you could have built a few of those to help disuade an attack or at least deal with it until the swords were up and running.

BTW sometimes there is a very good reason for an AI attack but you just don't see it for a few thousand years. In one of my first attempts at Sid, I played a 'pelago map (to give me some time to expand) and I managed to get a smallish island to myself. I traded heavily, and even gifted techs to a couple of civs when entering the new ages, and my relations with AI civs were all very good. This did not stop the swine trying to sneak attack me though, even though I had selected some of the less aggressive civs as part of the set of rivals. By the IA I had been declared upon by all of the civs (not all at the same time though; I used alliances to avoid getting dogpiled) and yet the landings were all in the same area. I had no resources there at the time so I knew that something good was going to pop up at some point. It later turned out that I had two of the three sources of Uranium on my island.

well i was going to hook it up imminently to do my upgrade, so I lost like, I dont know, 3 cities? two high corrupt and one 50% corrupt, and I lost my second luxury. and no I had no horses, I had like 12 warriors? or 15? or something like that.

so I just upgraded them and beatup zulu's archers and impi stupid things or whatever. but its so not the person I wanted to kill and the zulu hate peace as much as they love war.

strategic question. if u've captured the GLB do u even want to build galleys to try and find the ppl not on ur continent? couldn't it be more prudent to just wait and maybe collect gold to make the GLB slingshot even larger?

also I find monarchy to be a really bad gov't. is monarchy even better than despotism? I guess irrigating grass so u can work hills/mountains is pretty good. but considering the anarchy, and the lost unit support, and fairly little bonus(unlike republics huge commerce bonus). I definitely know I've switched to monarchy twice where even if u discount the anarchy despotism would have left me better off.

yavoon said:
strategic question. if u've captured the GLB do u even want to build galleys to try and find the ppl not on ur continent? couldn't it be more prudent to just wait and maybe collect gold to make the GLB slingshot even larger?

You could consider gifting the city away just before you would have gotten Education, only to recapture it later.

Lord Emsworth said:
You could consider gifting the city away just before you would have gotten Education, only to recapture it later.

haha that is definitely more sly.

Top Bottom