1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, new to civ III with questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by yavoon, May 5, 2006.

1. Rurik

Rurik Chieftain

Plz. save yourself from exceedingly high casualties by NOT attacking full strength pikemen with anything except attackers with a same or higher (3+) attack value. And be aware of the defensive bonuses the pikemen might have.

I have found, more often than not, that cities defended by pikemen often produce longbowmen. Horsemen waiting 2 tiles away from a city are good for picking-off emergent longbowmen...if you've succeeded in pillaging the roads to that town.

Otherwise, I would suggest you use your horsemen to perform a pillaging blitz through the offending civ. while you wait for Chivalry. Let the cities languish and drop in pop. to below 6...thus decreasing the def. bonus.

2. Rurik

Rurik Chieftain

Yavoon, I'm just curious...you named your thread "Hi, new to civ III with questions" but you play diety level and a couple of your questions (ie. horsemen vs. pike) are not level related. How is it you win on diety without already having some of the basics down?

3. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

I guess I have enough of them down.

and I disagree that u should avoid pikemen like the plague, u can kill pikes w/ horses, my question was more along the lines of how far I could push it(say whether I could declare war on ppl w/ feudalism if I just had horses). I've certainly taken towns w/ pikemen in them.

4. Kapn Skwishy

Kapn Skwishy Chieftain

i usually dont use america...

5. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

I find them to be fun, and very versatile. they dont have a uu to rely on or any cheap buildings.

6. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

I used to love them in vanilla. Not for the fact that they don't have discounts on buildings or a goo dUU, but just because I like to have scouts early on and industrious trait used to rock back then

7. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

u know what I hate? is when ur running a deficit in desparation to get a monopoly tech early game and someone demands exactly all ur gold and u know ur stuffed. and just like that ur granary in ur settler factory goes poof!

also I had a question, how does whipping work? when can I whip? how many shields will it whip? when I can whip 2 ppl instead of one? u know all that kinda stuff, I looked on this site but had difficulty finding anything.

8. Twonky

Twonky Chieftain

When the AI makes the demand, you can click on your advisor´s face to enter the domestic advisor screen, where you can change the slider settings and avoid just that. :)

The whip will transform 1 pop into 20 shields. You may only whip half the town´s population in one go.

9. Tone

Tone Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff

Am I correct in saying don't whip with no shields in the box as it will cost you double? This is certainly true for cash rushing which IIRC uses the same basic principles.

Also note that you can whip in stages to use up more than half the population. Eg with three citizens you can pop rush a spear and then switch to a longbow and pop rushing again to use up two of the three pop points in one turn. Alternatively you have six people in a town and you want a market. First select a 40 shield unit, such as a longbow or barracks and rush that, losing two pop points. Then switch the build to a court, losing another 2 pop points. Finally switch to a market and pop rush the final 20 shields. Pop rushing to this degree not generally recommended as every pop lost will create an unhappy citizen for 20 turns but when you have tons of luxes and you are going for a 100K cultural victory, pop rushing culture buildings is the way to get that victory quickly. Once you have all those cultural buildings, who cares if the remaining citizens all end up as clowns as long as the city produces stacks of culture!

10. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Pretty much. Although it isn't a case of doubling to 1 pop per each part or complete 10 shields, it doubles to 2 pop per part or complete 20 shields. So 30 shields will cost you 4 pop, not 3. Same as when cash rushing, if you have to do it from scratch, always rush a minimum shield unit first. A worker for cash rushing, a 20 shield unit if you have it for pop-rushing. And yeah, good advice on doing it in stages to whip an entire population. It sucks when you're trying to rush 80-shield cathedrals and have no 60 shield builds to bridge from.

11. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

That is the drawback of getting the Pyramids when going for culture.

12. Tone

Thanks for the confirmation, sanabas. I should have known this for certain having just done GotM as a 100K commie pop rushing exercise but I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes.
    Fair point but I'll take that drawback anyday. Pyramids gives you more 'fuel' for pop rushing so a lack of a 60 shield build during some periods of the game (frigates are useful in coastal cities if available, as are muskets during the saltpeter period) is a minor inconvenience IMO compared with the devasting power that the Pyramids gives you in 100K attempts.

13. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Yep. Small price to pay for twice the growth. I didn't make it as far as gunpowder last time I played a 100k game. Harbours were ok for coastal cities, meaning a size 5 city could build a cathedral, but inland I had to go pike-->knight-->cathedral. Meaning a city had to be size 5 with 10 shields, or size 6, to build a cathedral.

14. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

I have interesting deity start, I'm america on standard map and i actually have an island to myself, and its pretty big! weird. haven't had to be a builder in quite some time I feel like its possible the AI will be massively ahead of me(an entire age?) by the time I can find them, but that if I got a lot of cash I can probably just buy the techs to catch up.

I was wondering what is good deity builder strat, since all my deity games have been on get swords/horses, get knights, get cav. and now I probably can't do anything till cavalry at the earliest.

I'll load up my save but I'm not sure u guys can view it. its a pretty decent spot, no food bonuses my whole island only has one luxury. but good rivers and some shields on grass. I've been building granaries/settlers best I can. and my tech path is republic---currency----mapmaking----finish age. and I suppose build marketplaces? I'd feel silly building too much of an army w/ no1 to fight. should I get literature just to have stuff to build?

when should I try to invade the other ppl? how many buildings is it good to build?

Attached Files:

15. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

how do u trigger a golden age w/ the f15? I hope its not, "find someone elses air force and hope to win a battle" cuz thats not cool.

16. Tone

Sorry, but it is. (Well at least in vanilla and PtW.) That's why many people don't like playing with the Americans. Crap UU which doesn't appear until the game is pretty much over.

I haven't played them on C3C though, so maybe with leathal bombardment things are now different. Even if this is true, they're still too late as far as a well-timed GA though IMO.

17. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

interesting thing. I've been at constant war for some god forsaken length of time(1100 years? about 100 ad to 1200 ad) w/ every combination of opponents possible. but somewhere along there(no idea where) my citizens completely stopped being weary of war. only unhappiness now is "too crowded."

this while fortuitous and very helpful doesn't seem to be a logical design decision. its let me run like 20% lux now instead of 40 or 50, and I've just researched my first tech since republic(computers).

18. Tone

Have you read the WW article in the war acadamy? I find it very useful and it could explain why you have none. Assuming that you are still in Republic (some governments don't get WW of course), I guess that you are fighting wars where you are not losing (m)any units, your cities are not being attacked much (if at all), you are not leaving units in enemy territory every turn and you are not at war with any one civ long enough for any adverse effects to accumulate sufficiently to tip you into getting a degree of WW. If you keep changing your opponants, WW is rarely a factor as long as you don't get hurt.

19. yavoon

yavoon Chieftain

well I use to have war weariness, like 30% or so. I was under the impression that WW would not decrease as long as u were at war. but maybe it decreases based on the enemy who caused it? and if I'm at peace w/ them it goes down?

20. Tone

In a word; yes!
    It's a short article but pretty informative. Link. It also explains how much WW is reduced per turn in peacetime and how WW can actually reduce during wartime.

Read it!:D