Hint at 3rd expansion from Firaxis??

I'm kind of confused as to why most of this thread is about Civs that people find missing... I think what's more exciting than "MOAR CIVs" is new features or better yet -- revamped old features -- since too many new features can make a chaotic and unfun game

I think most of the people hoping for that have already drifted away. That's not the direction the dev team is going.

People who are excited at the prospect of more systems and more civs layered on top of the current game make up the majority of the people actively following the GS announcements, I expect, and make up an even greater majority of the people contemplating the potential for a 3rd expansion.

I think it's fairly clear why Portugal has been left out. It's historically been a Spanish kingdom, and Spain had a stronger colonial identity within the mechanics of the base game, with a specifically religious bent. And the Netherlands as a trade empire had more interesting side mechanics. So as of those two releases, Portgual wasn't mechanically distinct or unique, and I'm presuming the case is the same for GS.

There definitely appear to be plans to include Portugal given its omission from the Spain CS list. But they are clearly waiting for a point where they can introduce enough mechanics that would make it feel more unique than just a boring hybrid of England/Netherlands/Spain.
What? Portugal never was a Spanish kingdom. It was united with Spain (just like the Netherlands) for a brief period of 60 years. So there is no historical justification to have it somehow represented by Spain (if that is what you were implying). And I don't see why it would be hard to find unique mechanics for Portugal, given that their colonisation processes and undertakings were very distinct from Spain's, England's and the Netherlands'.

Let's be honest: if Portugal is left out of Civ6, it's because it is not a financially attractive choice for FXS -- it is a Western nation with no relevance whatsoever in the current gaming market. Indeed, this seems to be the only criteria that get European and colonial civs in Civ6.

Apparently, Eurocentrism is only bad when it doesn't make you money.

Last edited:
A thread was made yesterday by a person who had discovered that a civ fanatics user 'RisingTyphoon' (aka Gathering Storm) had been leaking expansion info on civ fanatics two months before the actual reveal. I can't find the thread now. Does anyone hace a link to where it was moved?

A thread was made yesterday by a person who had discovered that a civ fanatics user 'RisingTyphoon' (aka Gathering Storm) had been leaking expansion info on civ fanatics two months before the actual reveal. I can't find the thread now. Does anyone hace a link to where it was moved?
That leak wasn't yesterday, it was several weeks ago. The leaking user is called AssemblingTyphoon. You can search for his posts or here you see a discussion about the leak: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/poll-is-the-second-leaked-list-of-leaders-real.638633/

The post yesterday was not the one about the leak, but one discussing the data provided by AssemblingTyphoon, a similar user in reddit known as Exotic night. Guess it was quarantined as leaky...

It was deleted.

I am suspicious about this super quick delete...

Me as well. The information seems legit, though I admit I haven't bothered to verify the reddit side of things. I still can't make heads or tails out of their structure over there. It's just a cluster...

It makes sense we are getting some different civs like Canada and Australia if there is a 3rd expansion. Even if it's just a small expansion, that would be pretty cool.

So, ideal 3rd expansion civs:

• Maya
  • Argentina/Colombia
  • Byzantium
  • Portugal
  • Ethiopia
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco/Moors
  • Babylon
  • Ramsesses/Hapshepsut/Kublai(of China and Mongolia)

So, ideal 3rd expansion civs:

• Maya
  • Argentina/Colombia
  • Byzantium
  • Portugal
  • Ethiopia
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco/Moors
  • Babylon
  • Ramsesses/Hapshepsut/Kublai(of China and Mongolia)

This is definitely the list I want. All the missing classics back, in addition to the return of Morocco (in which I find a civilization too interesting), filling a gap that is the lack of a Spanish American nation (Argentina will always be my choice), and finally the Vietnam, a much wanted new blood.

I only find quite improbable that we have Morocco in civ6, even in a third expiration, but it costs nothing to dream...:D

This is definitely the list I want. All the missing classics back, in addition to the return of Morocco (in which I find a civilization too interesting), filling a gap that is the lack of a Spanish American nation (Argentina will always be my choice), and finally the Vietnam, a much wanted new blood.

I only find quite improbable that we have Morocco in civ6, even in a third expiration, but it costs nothing to dream...:D

We would still be missing Venice or Italy. I would rather see them over Vietnam. Otherwise, the list is perfect to me.

Add 1-2 Native American civs to those choices listed above and I'll be happy!

Well at this point my wish list is this though ideally I want more:
Maya
Portugal
Assyria
Byzantium*
Ethiopia
Italy
Navajo
Colombia
*Alternatively since this list is classic heavy and it is usually divided half and half, I am afraid at this point that I could live with an alt Byzantine leader for Rome as long as it heavily has abilities based on it, including dromons. Instead I would give the other place to Vietnam.

My list would roughly look like this. The leaders in parantheses i chose specifically because I have already typed out agenda's & abilities on my other computer but whatevs, that's something for the "Design Your Civ" Thread.

1. Assyria (Ashurbanipal) (Science & Builder focus)

2. Bulgaria (Boris I) (Religion & Combat focus)

3. Burma (Anawrahta) (Golden Age & Conquest focus) (Yes, I really don't care about Vietnam! bite me)

4. Ethiopia (Taytu Betul) (Diplomacy and Loyalty focus)

5. Maya (Lady Six Sky) (Science & Dark Age focus)

6. Morocco (Sayyida al-Hurra) (Gold & Naval Focus)

7. Navajo (Manuelito) (Environmental & Appeal Focus)

8. Portugal (John I) (Great People & Exploration Focus)

Alt Leader: Yongle Zhu Di (China) (Production & Government focus)

I WILL also accept Italy under Matilde di Canossa, who is one of the greatest leaders of the medieval era or Hittites under Puduhepa, who merits Tamar levels of attention :) Oh and Byzzies are always welcome, but I don't really care who leads them. A Komnenos, Basil I or Irene of Athens would be nice :)

My list would roughly look like this. The leaders in parantheses i chose specifically because I have already typed out agenda's & abilities on my other computer but whatevs, that's something for the "Design Your Civ" Thread.

1. Assyria (Ashurbanipal) (Science & Builder focus)

2. Bulgaria (Boris I) (Religion & Combat focus)

3. Burma (Anawrahta) (Golden Age & Conquest focus) (Yes, I really don't care about Vietnam! bite me)

4. Ethiopia (Taytu Betul) (Diplomacy and Loyalty focus)

5. Maya (Lady Six Sky) (Science & Dark Age focus)

6. Morocco (Sayyida al-Hurra) (Gold & Naval Focus)

7. Navajo (Manuelito) (Environmental & Appeal Focus)

8. Portugal (John I) (Great People & Exploration Focus)

Alt Leader: Yongle Zhu Di (China) (Production & Government focus)

I WILL also accept Italy under Matilde di Canossa, who is one of the greatest leaders of the medieval era or Hittites under Puduhepa, who merits Tamar levels of attention :) Oh and Byzzies are always welcome, but I don't really care who leads them. A Komnenos, Basil I or Irene of Athens would be nice :)
*bites you* You asked for it!

Honestly, the most notable thing about Vietnam which is see parroted around here is that they resisted a bunch of invasions, which... *Yawn* and also Ethiopia does the exact same thing and *more*. If they going to design Vietnam in a way that is thoroughly uninteresting, I'd rather they didn't at all. :)

the Water Puppet Theatre would make a neato Amphitheatre, though. (lol Firaxis would turn it into a tile improvement that provides bonus amenities and culture from adjacent rivers and lakes, bank on it.)

Did the reddit user who made the accute leaks say there was going to be a 3rd expansion?

I would be very cautious about discussing these leaks or anything you read.

Yes, some leaks seem to have been very accurate, suggesting the leaker(s) knew what they were talking about. But their actual agenda is entirely unknown, and that makes me concerned. This person (or theses persons) could be a bad actor or otherwise acting in bad faith. We don’t know.

By all means, google the threads and have a look, but I think we’re all better off not discussing or giving airplay to this stuff. Personally, I don’t want to further an agenda when I don’t know what it is.

Sorry. I don’t mean to sound dramatic. I’m sure everything it totally fine - just someone who got some news ahead of time and couldn’t keep it to themselves or was having some fun. ... but ... I also really don’t trust the internet or online world at all, and fundamentally don’t believe in a free lunch. If someone does something, there’s usually a reason... And if you don’t know what the reason is...

Put it another way. If you’re getting something, and the other person isn’t getting something obvious or tangible out of the transaction... then it’s likely that you are what they are getting out of the transaction. Hey, why do you think Google give away email accounts for free...?

Top Bottom