Hint at 3rd expansion from Firaxis??

Did the reddit user who made the accute leaks say there was going to be a 3rd expansion?
AssemblingTyphoon said " I think there'll be two more expansions for Civ VI rather than just one so Maya, Byzantium, Portugal, Assyria/Babylon, a Native American Civ, Ethiopia would be very likely for Expansion 3. Mali was already in my list. Phoenicia would make Carthage unlikely. "

Even though I never expected third expansion but now my bet would be on it.

Last edited:
AssemblingTyphoon's list sure is going to make a lot of people happy. Mainstay civs like Babylon and Maya missing from the first 2 expansions could mean they are saving them for later. The ones they didn't mention are probably going to be brand new civs. The alternate leader could be from China or Egypt, both having a great selection of leaders diverse enough from the current choice.

They may also release these as DLCs before they wrap up Civ 6 and move on. I mean, I would probably buy these just for having them in game...

Last edited:
So, ideal 3rd expansion civs:

• Maya
  • Argentina/Colombia
  • Byzantium
  • Portugal
  • Ethiopia
  • Vietnam
  • Morocco/Moors
  • Babylon
  • Ramsesses/Hapshepsut/Kublai(of China and Mongolia)
Just switch Vietnam with Burma and Babylon with Assyria and the list would be perfect for me.

Here is an interview done by PCGames with Ed Beach (whom we all know and love) and Dennis Shirk (Lead Producer):

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-gathering-storm-natural-disasters

If you scroll about halfway down they ask Shirk about the Black Plague scenario that will be included and if disease mechanics will make their way into the full game. His reply is:

"No, no. We didn't want to have disease YET."

Later on in that reply he mentions that they sometimes use scenarios as a place to test out ideas they will put into the game.

Now this is basically conjecture on my part, but there are two tiny hints at it in that reply. What do you guys think? I don't remember there ever being a 3rd expansion for a Civ game before so I still very much doubt it, but it's not impossible.

The third expansion will focus on an X-Com like alien invasion of the earth :)

The third expansion will focus on an X-Com like alien invasion of the earth :)

If so, then Argentina will get unique football pitches, which provide an anti-alien defence bonus for all Argentinian units within 2 hexes.

If so, then Argentina will get unique football pitches, which provide an anti-alien defence bonus for all Argentinian units within 2 hexes.

It will be a completely new victory condition. You will gain points for liberating or defending cities from the Aliens & if you hold out long enough, you'll win the game.

[,,,]

And Argentinia will get unique football pitches that provide an anti-alien defence bonus for all Argentinian units within 2 hexes.

Considering how fast they're going for a second expansion i wouldn't be so surprised if they think about a third expansion.

However i don't know what they could possibly put in, since GS looks like it's going to introduce most of the "missing" mechanics for a game like this.

Maybe they could add diseases (though i don't know what they could possibly bring to the gameplay), or just improve current mechanics (like alliances).

Anyway i'd rather see them keep improving civ6 than start againg from scratch with a civ7

However i don't know what they could possibly put in, since GS looks like it's going to introduce most of the "missing" mechanics for a game like this.

Oh, there's definitely enough for a 3rd expansion. Just look at all the ideas that people have in the ideas & suggestions forum. I think the game needs to do a lot more with the loyalty mechanic and add loyalty effects to switching governments, policy cards, ans civics to implement internal rebellions, revolutions and civil wars. Cities far from your capital should suffer negative loyalty to make it harder for warmongers to just keep conquering a very wide empire. Diplomacy also needs an overhaul (add fear/respect mechanic, more varied and more intelligent responses, more treaties like non-aggression pacts). And, I think combat and war could use a big overhaul as well (add supply lines, morale, combined arms corps and armies). Finallty, they could add diseases and plagues with a health mechanic in cities. And of course, there are always more units, new civs or alt leaders that they could add.

Civ I - 1991
Civ II - 1996
Civ III - 2001
Civ IV - 2005
Civ V - 2010
Civ VI - 2016

Unless the devs think Civ VI is a failure (and I don't think they do) and cut the development cycle short we should see a new title in 2021 or 2022, so plenty of room for a third expansion. Civ VI still has to win more people over from Civ V and I think the Gathering Storm might just be thing that piques the interest of veteran players with some new and pretty unique game mechanics.

Last edited:
Just passing by to say it's time we get Constantine the Great as alternate leader for Rome instead of the medieval Byzantine civilization! Let's give the dominate some love! Byzantium can return for Civ 7

@Red_warning definitely
I think it will bring what brave new world brought for V

Nice Kupe avatar btw

Personally I do love the idea of a 3rd expansion. Some civs I’d still like to see are Byzantium, Babylon (a civ classic), Maya, maybe another Native American civ such as Sioux, Portugal, Austria, Colombia maybe.
They could use it to flesh out some of the existing mechanics such as religions and maybe add in some sort of economic victory type.
Another option for me is to do what they did between Vanilla and Rise and fall and add in a few DLC packs

In any case going back to a new Civ game will bring us back to the same frustration of a vanilla game that feels a step back. I vote for a3rd expansion

loyalty to make it harder for warmongers to just keep conquering a very wide empire.

Doesn’t rise and fall already do this? In my most recent game I had to reconquer Arabian cities over and over! They were going into rebellion faster than I could get governors established. Still a bit of a R&F newbie so maybe I was doing things wrong.

... Finallty, they could add diseases and plagues with a health mechanic in cities.

Monopolies and Corporations would be cool.

If there is a third expansion then these are the mechanics that I believe are most likely based on the overall history of the game. It appears they are bringing back old ideas. They have already hinted at a new disease mechanic and it just seems to me that an economic mechanic is most likely. Disease and globalization have had a major impact on the real world throughout world history. They go hand-in-hand in exploration and colonization which leads me to believe they would make the perfect expansion.

Well, yeah, maybe an economic victory might fit in now that the diplomatic victiry looks like it's gonna be a diplomatic victory.

Not sure what gameplay might bring corporations though

A revamp of loyalty, monopolies/corporations, health/disease mechanics, and improved Alliance/trade mechanics would be pretty appropriate for a colonial themed expansion.

There is practicly half game missing when it comes to Civ6 if you compare it to past Civs. And that is you cant play tall in Civ6, one of two roads you chose when start new game in Civ6 is missing and you always play wide. So 3rd expanssion could be focused on this, city specialization and rework of districts, with including 3 or 4 Civs with who you could play tall super effectivly like lets say Singapour (Science), Vatican(Religious), Monaco-Venice-Dubai(Commercial) and so on ... and some rework of loyalty, free cities, heald/disease

there is surely more than enough room for one more expanssion.I would say even two --- but surely that would not happed. On the other way I belive 95% of Civ players want to see 3rd expanssion, they would buy it --- looks like everyone would win FX and fans. Only reasson why would not happen is either already cast plans for future and cant be changed, or if GS dont perform well.

And, I think combat and war could use a big overhaul as well (add supply lines, morale, combined arms corps and armies). Finallty, they could add diseases and plagues with a health mechanic in cities.

The biggest obstacle to conquering a wide Empire would be the tedium from the extra micro-management you propose.

There is room for improvement, but let's also keep things simple. Even the current Governor system is too much for some people.

This is Civ6 not Europa Universalis 6.

Top Bottom