1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hint at 3rd expansion from Firaxis??

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SxSnts9, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

It is actually very unfortunate that we will not see Tibetan Empire in Civ series, because of politics. I must admit that before I studied them I didnt really understand how impressive their empire was.

Also after knowing more about so called "Byzantine Empire" I have understood that it makes little sense to have them as separate Civ from Rome. They were Romans and they also identified as Romans. Would be cool to see Justinian as a new leader though.

2. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Well Beyond Earth and it's expansion was the reason for the 6 year gap between Civ V and Civ VI. However i'd like to think Firaxis would do a 6 year gap again with a 3rd expansion being the reason there is 6 years between Civ VI and Civ VII.

I'd definitely be up for that.

3. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Will there be an expansion 3? Maybe? There has not been one before, but then the game is still on the top selling list on Steam, so it could be a profitable move if they could pull it off.

4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I would rather have a third expansion and an extra year to wait for Civ VII than to have Civ VII sooner without a third expansion for Civ VI.

StarCraft: Brood War is still popular despite StarCraft II's existence.

Nothing good comes out of rushing.

5. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I hope there is a third expansion or more dlc. There is a lot more content that could be added around governance, ideologies, and expanding how governments, Government Plaza, Governors and Loyalty work.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  6. Cuneiform

Cuneiform Chieftain

I think we'll see a bigger gap this time between Civ6 and Civ7 for 2 reasons.

Firstly the Civ6 engine appears to lend itself to more improvements and add-ons than previous versions, so it's difficult to know at the moment what benefit an entirely new game would offer.

Also because of the engines flexibility and new game mechanics like Districts placed outside of the cities, I think it's ideally equipped to finally give us a new version of Colonization which could benefit from some of the new systems. It goes without saying that a new Beyond Earth 2 would be most welcome as well.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Kaan Boztepe and acluewithout like this.
  7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I would say the chances are high, mainly because it is unlikely we'll see a spinoff game like Beyond Earth this cycle.

which brings up a good question. Would people rather see a 3r d expansion or a spinoff game? I may make this a poll question actually.

8. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Chieftain

3rd Expansion. Change my mind. :coffee:

679x likes this.
  9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Coming soon...

Spoiler :

10. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

After a success of Civ 5 and Civ6 I don see reason why would FX make spinoff games in future. Expanssion for Civs are almost spinoffs right know if they are content full like Gathering Storm. Why make game about lets say era of Colonization when you can add another era into Civ game, make loyalty and revolutions in game a real thing , and sell it for almost a price of full game.

j51 likes this.
  11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Would rather see a spinoff focusing on ancient civs, mythology, or early tribes. We would get to see civs we like and which are missing (Babylon, Goths, etc) in the case of the ancient civs, and in any game based on one of the aforementioned three themes, we would get genuinely new mechanics rather than merely additive fillable bonus buckets or quirky one-off improvements like mountain tunnels (though I like those too).

And we might also see better leaderscreen backgrounds, game intros, better government UIs (no red/gold/purple plastic symbols), new main menu music (lacking in Rise and Fall and therefore likely lacking in Gathering Storm), and a change to the blue plasticky aesthetic of the Civ VI menus. We might also see cool new maps and scenarios.

j51 and Siptah like this.
  12. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

There already is a poll: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/3rd-expansion-or-spin-off-poll.638857/

13. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Chieftain

I don't envy Firaxis having to guess where 5 different platforms will be in 2-3 years to make the decision the next civ project. I would think it would be a safer bet to put out a 3rd expansion/spinoff otherwise they run the risk of civ 7 being just a slightly different version of 6. I personally would like a 3rd expansiton because I like more stuff and they also add some improvements/fixes to existing features.

PC, Mac, Linux, iPad/Iphone, Switch. yep that 5.

679x, Isengardtom and Red_warning like this.
  14. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

I do.. focussing on one particular era is very interesting. That's why we had it in past and i i would welcome new iteration using civ 6 mechanics. Anyway civ6 for me is most interesting those early/mid game eras extending this by stand alone game or civ 6 expansion is the right move. Drop the ideas of next BE.. please.

15. Villager720

Villager720 Chieftain

I just can’t imagine we won’t get the Maya or Babylon in some form.
    While we haven’t seen the release of DLC Civs post-expansion before - that also holds true for a 3rd expansion; we’ve never seen one.
    In either case, I expect we will see something unprecedented this go around.

TahamiTsunami, j51 and 679x like this.
  16. Xmonger

Xmonger Chieftain

Civ VII would be the right approach if they had fundamental changes that would justify a new platform. Consider the big changes from V to VI
    • New flexible game engine
    • New UI paradigm (colorful palette, exaggerated leader features motif, higher resolution/animation)
    • City unfolding (districts) and geography inclusion in general
    • Civics tree
    • Religion as a fundamental victory

Anything else? All the other features (e.g. leader agendas etc) are more features on these basics than fundamentals it seems.

I have a hard time seeing equal changes coming along. I assume the game engine will be used for a few major releases at least, the graphic paradigm is great/good enough, no need to update that. Don't know, seems like there more features than fundamentals to add so maybe another expansion makes more sense. I'd certainly appreciate that, frankly I don't want a Civ VII anytime soon, would rather have more features in VI.

Right, the plague scenario. That ties in to climate change - for example one prediction is a rise of ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitos (all sorts of fevers and diseases here) with global warming. I think they've done that before haven't they? A teaser in an expansion or whatever which turns into a full feature next time around. Locusts, all sorts of things here.

And also with GS there's only sea level rise, I don't think they put in changing moisture patterns. I could see adding in deserts turning green, or expanding, or green areas drying out as the climate changes.

17. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

Same as with Israel. I'd love to be able to play as king David.

Rup likes this.
  18. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

I think with Colonization and Beyond Earth, it could be reasonably argued we had two expansions + spinoff from each game engine. The question whether 3rd expansion vs. another spinoff. Frankly, I'm feeling third expansion.

For my part I'd love to see about 9 more civ choices more in the style of the Maori: very unique bonuses with tradeoffs. The Civs I definitely want to see include:

Salish
    Pueblo
    Iroquois
    Maya
    Berbers
    Babylon
    Hittites
    Chola
    Khazars

TahamiTsunami and j51 like this.
  19. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

That's an excellent list! Firaxis would be wise to follow it. :thumbsup:

20. Gamling80

Gamling80 Chieftain

Copied my post from another thread:

In the current one unit per tile system it is way to easy to create bottle necks and shoot down invading units. It is not fun and it takes for ages (literally). I like Civ VI but the current combat system is so boring and tedious I never go on or have time for big invading campaigns like in earlier games. I have never won a combat victory in Civ VI. Have you?

I would make a new expansion that overhaul the combat system. The current system could be kept for skirmishes when you have lone units fighting. But I would ad a new army mechanic where could you stack up to perhaps 6-9 units. When a battle occurs you would zoom into a battlefield generated by the hex where it occurs and those around it (Much like in Age of wonders 3).The combat would be automatic like in Call to power. Perhaps would you be able to chose your tactic before combat and arrange your troops. You would arrange your troops in two or thee lines. Outflanking would be good but having your line broken would be very bad.There would be mechanics for scouting the enemies likely tactic. The combat would play out and the armies unit composition, setup, chosen tactic and terrain would be the mayor factors of the results. Perhaps could the armies be led by generals that could level up 3-4 steps but become obsolete much like the present generals when moving into new eras. Giving them abilities to boost certain unit types, tactics or preferred terrains. The battle would be animated and maybe take 30 to 90 secs depending on size. This army system could work from the ancient ages until the modern ages where artillery is more effective and bombardment would make them rather obsolete. Bombarding army stacks would hurt all unis a percentage of their hit points much like in earlier games. I would also ad stats for attack, defense and hit points for each unit type. Also enhance the system where some units types is better against others. Archers would be good against infantry but you would like to have a screen of melee in front of them or they would take mayor damage.

The armies should also have some sort of morale. One battle would normally not kill units completely. The beaten army would retreat a tile if possible and take a bigger morale loss. The morale would affect combat outcome. Perhaps should the normal early era army map movement speed be 1 tile (Maybe 2 for only cav) But you would be able to march the armies. That is moving 2 or 3 tiles at marching speed. But each march move would lower your army morale. Moving armies along roads in friendly territory would hurt much less. If you been marching to much or taking to much damage you would have to rest the troops a few turns to regaining hit points and morale. Each battle would also lower morale. The troops get tired. Big losses would give worse morale penalty. This would help against the stack of doom syndrome. No big doom army would be able to beat too many smaller ones in a short time without resting, or move so fast you wouldn't have time to build or arrange countermeasures.

This would allow the game to ad more units without slowing down the game. Perhaps would you be able to build them twice as fast. More units would give much more choices concerning army composition.

So a faster and more interesting combat system would be the result. But the main benefit of the enhanced army and battle system would be to be able to build a better ai.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    footslogger likes this.