1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Historical Book Recomendation Thread

Discussion in 'World History' started by Babbler, Nov 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Thanks. :) I found one he wrote on the Babylonians on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm looking for a good book on the Congress of Vienna. Any recommendations?

3. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Any good books on the Taiping Rebellion? Dachs seems to have some knowledge of it, so I'm sure they're out there.

4. Azale

Azale Deity

The best one I've heard about is fairly expensive: The Taiping Revolutionary Movement

The best I have read is by Jonathan Spence, always a good bet on English-language Chinese history: God's Chinese Son

Spence's book focuses heavily on the origins of the movement and Hong Xiuquan himself, but does carry itself through the course of the rebellion to its end.

5. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

I saw one in my local bookstore not too long ago called Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom. It looked sweet and I bought it, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

6. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Autumn is sort of designed to dovetail with God's Chinese Son. It doesn't focus much on the origins of the Taiping movement, or even its initial establishment in the Chang Jiang basin. Instead, it uses several PoV characters to analyze the reaction to the Taiping by the Qing, the British, the Americans, and so on, and for looking at the Heavenly Kingdom itself it focuses on the story of Hong Rengan, not Hong Xiuquan.

7. Phrossack

Well, that's bad news. I'm not ready to spend a hundred dollars on a book I'll read once or twice, and the other books don't seem too good.

8. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

That's why you rent ;)

9. Dachs

I thought they were pretty enjoyable and informative, actually.

And you can just get The Taiping Revolutionary Movement through, like, interlibrary loan or something.

10. Phrossack

:blush:Oh yeah. Good idea, I'll have to try it.

11. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

I have to write an essay for a class (Global History) in the theme 'military revolution and state-building' or what the influence military revolutons (revolutions within the military as in new weapons, bigger armies as opposed to against the government) had of state-building. With as basic principle war=taxes=state (or state=taxes=war)

My specific subject will be concerning the question what the influence of the Swiss mercenary system was on the state building of Switzerland.
    I do have found some literature concercing this subject, but most are only indirect linked with this subject. Because of that I am not yet secure in the knowledge that I posses enough accurate/specific information/sources to write a quality essay. Therefor my question: do any of you have tips concerning literature on this subject?

Ps. I currently don't have my list of literature at hand so I'll post that later .

12. ace99

ace99 Deity

Just do Janissaries and call it a day brah.

13. Dachs

Yeah, I don't believe that the Swiss in this period are well served in the English (or Dutch?) literature. You picked a pretty grody topic.

Part of the problem is the nettlesome connection between the employment of large-scale Swiss forces by other states and the development of the Confederation and its institutions. Even if you found literature temporally suited to the topic, I doubt it would actually cover a development akin to the classical formulation of the Military Revolution.

14. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

German literature would be allright too :)

But yeah, I'm afraid you're right. In the end I might find that I should keep this topic for when I'm a slightly more advanced historian :p I'm not giving up though, I chose this particular subject because I expected it to pose a challenge..

15. Saxony

Saxony Chieftain

Any recomendations on books regarding ancient flags and the history of flags and/or heraldics?

16. Phrossack

Anything good out there in English on a history of Brittany? Especially from the beginning years to the 17th/19th centuries.

17. Phrossack

Or better yet, something on the Swiss Confederacy, Charles the Bold, and the Burgundian Wars?

18. Phrossack

I hate to triple-post, but what ever happened to this thread?

19. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Don't know. But I just bought 1491, China Marches West, Battlecry of Freedom and Strachan's First World War, so it's working.

Now to find time to read them...

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

The book threads have a habit of falling off the front page, I think because it takes a long time to read books, there is some lag between a recommendation and acquiring the book much less reading it. Not to mention the level of conversation varies widely from hard-hitting analysis to banal tavern stuff.

Good choices, good sir. ;)