Historical Book Recomendation Thread

Try Waverly, if you're willing to give him another chance.

I have to say that Scott hasn’t aged well. To be fair, I have only read Ivanhoe. But it was a dreary slog from start to finish, even if you overlook the startlingly overt antisemitism.

My Grade 5 English teacher read us Ivanhoe. Many years later I tried to read it for myself, and gave up about a page and a half in.

I've already slogged my way through a book this year (Antony & Cleopatra). My next casual reading that's a physical book is a re-read of Heretics of Dune, so there's no need to worry about real history for that, just Frank Herbert's continuity.

There's a poem about Glencoe on Project Gutenberg. There's some historical context given for it, so that's interesting.

I have read Waverly. It holds the chief distinction of being one of only three books (the other two being Agatha Christie's Sleeping Murder and a Gothic novel titled Windsor Hall or something by someone or the other) that I couldn't finish due to sheer boredom. In Waverly's case I managed to slog all the way to the last one or two chapters, I couldn't motivate myself to complete them because the story was pretty much settled by then.

Oh, he's a wordy fellow, Scott.

I checked my local library's catalogue for information regarding the Glencoe Massacre.

Zip. NOTHING. Not as a title, keyword, or subject. Most of what I got back from my search was a bunch of historical novels (none of which were the one that I know was written about this event (Lady of the Glen by Jennifer Roberson) and a listing of Outlander DVDs. Outlander is 50 years too late for my purposes, and I'm not touching Culloden in my story. It was already addressed in Highlander and I'm trying to stay away from specific places and events that were presented on that show.

So... eBay.

Top Bottom