1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HoF Mod - assets different from a standard install

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Shadondriel, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

No rush, don't worry about it until you're next back at your flat and about to play Civ. Or are you really *that* addicted? :mischief:

If there is a dll in that dir then you could copy it across to where it should be and try again. Later (once home from work, after playing touch rugby) I might have a go at reinstalling to a different directory to see if I can get the same thing to happen.

2. Jean d´Eath

Jean d´Eath Chieftain

i am that addicted :crazyeye:
    the reason why i am at university is because i don't have net access at my flat... so i will be back in about 30 minutes to report success or failure... ;)

3. Jean d´Eath

Jean d´Eath Chieftain

o.k. first i do not have such a directory
    C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets

if i take the equivallent of my installation path, there is a dll file with 4.61MB and i do have a 4.9x MB dll file in the hof mod folder...
    i tried to copy the 4.9xMB dll on the original bts dll but it doesn't work...

4. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

Ah, I should have been more explicit about where you have to copy it to. It's the dll that should have been patched that needs replacing, in E:\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets. I guess you copied it from that path to the HOF mod dir?

5. Jean d´Eath

Jean d´Eath Chieftain

yes, and i also tried from the hof mod dir to that path

6. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The only other thing I can think of is the UAC. I think it mean user access control. It seems that Vista has all kinds of extra security stuff. Sometimes admin user isn’t enough. Could you try the following Microsoft instructions with your Civ4 EXE’s:

Scenario 2: Mark an application to always run elevated
    Scenario 2 is similar to the previous scenario in that you want to run an application or process as elevated with the administrator access token. However, in this scenario you want to run an application that has not been marked by the developer or identified by the operating system as an administrative application. Some applications, such as internal line-of-business applications or non-Microsoft products might require administrative rights but have not been identified as such. In this scenario, you mark an application to prompt user for consent, and if granted, run as an administrative application. The following procedure steps you through that process.

Note:
    To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a member of the local administrators group. You cannot be logged in with the computer (or built-in) administrator account because Admin Approval Mode does not apply to this account.

Important:
    This procedure cannot be used to prevent UAC from prompting for consent to run an administrative application.

To mark an application to always run elevated
    1. Right-click an application that is not likely to have been assigned an administrative token, such as a word processing application.

2. Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.

3. Under Privilege Level, select Run this program as an administrator, and then click OK.

Note:
    If the Run this program as an administrator option is unavailable, it means that the application is blocked from always running elevated, the application does not require administrative credentials to run, the application is part of the current version of Windows Vista, or you are not logged into the computer as an administrator.

7. Jean d´Eath

Jean d´Eath Chieftain

i don't run vista, it's xp on this machine

8. Denniz

That was for Shadondriel.

If your DLL is different then you probably had an incomplete install of the 3.02 patch. You could try patching again but I suspect you will have to uninstall, reboot, delete the Beyond the Sword path if there is anything left, reinstall, repatch. You should also start a normal custom game before trying the HOF Mod again.

Note: the reboot may be important. There may be a bug we it isn't releasing assets properly so the patch couldn't replace the DLL as it was in use. (Just a theory...)

9. terrasol

terrasol Chieftain

My Results of AssetChecker. All was good , but Ingame with Error.

Greetings
    terrasol

Attached Files:

10. Denniz

Could you send a save file where you get the error?

11. Denniz

Ah, your "C:\Programme\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll" doesn't match, either.

Two maybe the start of a pattern. I wonder if there is a problem with the 3.02 patch install.

12. terrasol

terrasol Chieftain

do you need the save file anyway ?

13. Shadondriel

Shadondriel Freak

14. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Perhaps the DLL is read only in the german version, and the patch fails to overwrite it due to that?

15. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

That's case 3 of the dll not getting updated by the patch :(.

Interesting theory, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

16. klarius

klarius ... !

Well, another German with the dll problem.
    I removed the dll and applied the 3.02 patch again. Now everything is fine (and the patch wrote now a dll with a differnt size).

17. Denniz

What's the timestamp on the two version of the DLL? Maybe 3.02 is older so it won't overlay unless you remove the 3.00 DLL first.

18. Shadondriel

Shadondriel Freak

It worked. All fine now :goodjob:

19. Shadondriel

Shadondriel Freak

The one I deleted was 4th of July, the one now is 2nd of July :crazyeye:

Edit: And both have the same version number. Only 0.01 MB difference

20. Denniz

Different is different. Are you getting the assets warning anymore?