1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I was working on the updates required for the QM/EQM changes last night and did something really stupid, working on it now!

EDIT: Should all be working now but please do let me know if you spot anything amiss.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

They all appear fine for me :confused:

Edit: cross post with NZ, all seems good

3. Rospokadu

Rospokadu Chieftain

Ive been following the HOF and Civfanatics for quite some time, but only now i decided to give it a go in the HOF

So i installed the HOF MOD, but i keep getting the HOF MOD Error msg when i try to load the Buffy MOD - latest version )The HOF MOD will be unable to save settings....)

Here's what i ALREADY did trying to solve this:

1 - As its STEAM version, did the whole beta thing and downloaded the unsupported version
    2 - Already gave permissions and changed the folders settings as per the VISTA/WIN7 Fixes
    3 - Tried creating a new admin account, did not work (same error)

I really have no clue what to try next...

4. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Glad to hear of your interest and sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

I assume you are running the exe in compatibility mode and as an Administrator?

vista_fixes.jpg

Do you have other games running under Steam?

5. Anysense

Anysense King

I had the same problem on Win 7 x64, simply nothing had effect. Solved it by switching back to XP 32. If you have two HDD's then you may as well have both Win 7/8/10 and XP 32 at the same time. If you have only one HDD (like myself) then XP still may be worth it even though it has some limitations and is not properly supported anymore; saves you a lot of a hassle with old games it does.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

WinXP compatibility mode should not be necessary.

@Rospokadu Did you do the uncheck "Read-Only" box on the highest level folder? Including the BTS folder under My Games/Documents?

7. Rospokadu

Rospokadu Chieftain

Thanks guys. It seems to be working now.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  8. SittinDown

SittinDown Prince

I can corroborate this. I had been running Buffy 3 in XP compat mode, but I recently changed it not to run in Compat mode, and it still works the same.

9. Noble Zarkon

10. Gluteus Maximus

Gluteus Maximus Chieftain

Is it correct to assume BUFFY does not work for HOF with the GOG version of Civ4 BTS?

The error I also get is "Warning: The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings. Games played will NOT be valid ..." and so forth. If I choose OK, I can successfully start a game with BUFFY. The BUG mod options all show up, I have no interface problems, hovering over the flag in the lower right says Beyond the Sword 3.19 and BUFFY 3.19.005 [Build 100], etc. I just wouldn't be able to submit a game for HOF use.

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the game, confirmed it says ver 3.19 (Load Civ 4, then choose Advanced, then About this build, where it says Civ Version 3.1.9.0, Build Version (128100)), then I installed BUFFY-3.19.005. I saw the HOF Mod error, so I tried all the steps here for Vista\Win 7: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

I am running Windows 10 Home v1803, build 17134.165, 64-bit (fully updated, as of July 2018 at any rate).

I realize the assets checker has not been updated for BUFFY-3.19.005, but I ran it anyway and get the Get Registry Path Error ("Cannot find Civ4 path"). It seems possible this is a related error, so I thought I'd mention it. My BTS install directory path is C:\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword

Any ideas? Or, failing that, can anyone confirm that my configuration is highly unlikely to run BUFFY for HOF, so I can back slowly away and forget about it?

Thank you.

11. Noble Zarkon

No reason that GOG shouldn't work but you were right to home in on this - it looks like the GOG installation has failed to properly register the game so Buffy can't find it. Are you running with Administrator privileges and / or in compatibility mode?

12. Gluteus Maximus

Gluteus Maximus Chieftain

NZ,

Your registry fix worked. Thank you!

Note to other forum participants: the GOG version of Civilization IV: The Complete Edition added registry settings suitable to itself, but not helpful for BUFFY/HOF. Noble Zarkon sent me a registry update file with the proper settings. The necessary registry settings update will depend on the BTS installation directory. Mine is the GOG default (see my previous post), and I would not have been able to guess the new settings, so it's probably better to ask here and specify your installation directory, if you're having the same problem I was.

To answer your question anyway, NZ, yes, I am running Civ4BeyondSword.exe with Administrator privileges and in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2). I am not, however, running the game in the separate (i.e. non-default) Windows administrator account I created as part of the Vista\Win 7 troubleshooting steps.

Again, no errors are generated anymore, on either mod load or game creation. I can start a game (with only Lock Modified Assets checked), save/reload and so forth. Thank you! I really appreciate the help.
    --GM

Tonny and SittinDown like this.
  13. Noble Zarkon

14. Anysense

Anysense King

Thought I'd use GOG version instead of Steam, as the latter will cease to support XP soon (such a nice new year present:)), but have the same registry problem. No idea what I'm supposed to change or add though. Could I have that registry fix too?
    My BtS install path is E:\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword

15. Anysense

Anysense King

I know that gifting cities while at war for diplo gain is forbidden. Am I allowed to gift a citiy just to keep that civ alive?
    Here Mansa has only two cities and I want them both, but I also want his techs. So, do I have to give him some crappy size one city before I DoW him or can I do it later, just before taking the last of his cities?
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0164.JPG

16. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Only a mod can give an official answer but I'd wager you have to gift the city before.

17. lymond

Gift cities during war is forbidden period - the rule is there because it is a bug/exploit. You must gift a city before declaring war or leave him with at least one city if you want his techs..

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  18. Anysense

Anysense King

Thanks for the answers. I've proceeded with gifting before DoW. It did not really matter here, I just wanted to make it clear in case it does matter in another game.

19. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

Hi,

I want to ask if there is a limit for player entries per HOF slot.
    I'm playing a specific setting, and I'm getting better, but I don't need to spam the slot with my games..
    If there's a 2 games limit per slot (hoping for that), then my bad games would be deleted after I beat them with a better entry and still leave room for other players on that slot..

Just need to know :)
    Booga.

20. lymond

No limits to number of entries. Other players can simply try to beat your efforts...that's the nature of the HOF. Feel free to submit as many games as you wish.