1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Methos, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Try running it as Administrator, if that doesn't work there are instructions on setting permissions on the Mod page, on my phone so can't link right now.

2. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Nope, it was upon loading the mod, not opening a game. I searched around the forums and what came out was that I wasn't running Civ as an administrator and BUFFY was installed in My Games instead of the Steam folder. Now it works perfectly :)

(Was replying to Fippy, just read your post, NobleZarkon)

But I have another question lol

Let's say I'm in a middle of the game I wish to submit for the HoF. I open my last save at T188. I play for half an hour, don't end the turn because I have some more things to check, save and quit. When I load it again at T188 from the new save is it considered as a reload? Does it change anything if the time between the saves is different?

Edit - and is it better to play with 003 or 004b?

3. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Saving and loading from there is always okay from what i know, i sometimes do that just to reset lag :) Just cannot make any moves after saving ofc.

004b is required for culture (and espionage, a new one) victories.
    I always use it now, found no bugs and it's the version that will get updated over time.

Hmm and another thing, it's important setting autosave intervals to each turn.

4. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Okay thanks :)
    I think I'll play either either Culture or OCC Diplo game, getting horribly bored by the repetitive pattern of build-up --> conquer --> press end turn 30 times and win atm :D

5. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

You may also hit F8 and click settings tab. Usually specified in red what you need to do.
    Perhaps it will help, although I use the beta (because of BUG 4.5).

Pedro78 likes this.
  6. Ruggerbunny

Ruggerbunny Chieftain

I have both of these covered, but my mod won't even show up as an option to load on the mod screen. Anyone have any answers for this?

Also, how do I sort the HOF to list by score and not time?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

You can sort the list by score using the Adhoc query and tick the sort by score option. As for your first question I have no clue, seems strange. Are your other mods there? Try to install another mod to see if same happens?

8. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Also check that you have installed BUFFY in the correct folder. Possibly as below...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

9. Ruggerbunny

Ruggerbunny Chieftain

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUFFY-3.19.003

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Steam has an odd file structure for BTS as it installs all the vanilla assets to allow BTS to run standalone. So there is a deeper BTS level. Install to:

....\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

The higher level contains the vanilla assets.

The lower level (Beyond the Sword folder) contains the BTS assets, the executable, and the correct Mods folder

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  11. Ruggerbunny

Ruggerbunny Chieftain

So how do i set those permissions? I have the files in the right spot thanks to lymond, but I am running into the same issue with a pop up when i launch the Mod. I am on the administrator account on my comp, so I am not sure what it is talking about.

12. lymond

Rbunny - this is a link to the HOF page that discusses the things you can do to security and stuff:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Oh...are you running the Steam beta version of BTS? It definitely won't work without being on that version. I just started using the Steam version myself recently.

13. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Sup :)

I have a question: When you play a game with Buffy (003) and plan to submit it to the HoF, does it matter if your CvGameCoreDLL is the one from BULL? The starting save passes the online HoF test, but I wanted to make sure it's all right before I start playing.

Edit - oh and won't the BULL CvGameCoreDLL mess up the SGotM stuff aswell?

14. Noble Zarkon

That won't work - are you sure that's the DLL being used and not the one included with Buffy?

As we say on the Mod page "
    Any time you have a fresh install of Civ IV we recommend you submit a very quick game (e.g. Settler/Duel/Conquest) to ensure everything is set up correctly."

15. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Hmm I'm not 100% sure -- does installing Buffy change the DLL? I was assuming that it was the BULL DLL because when I'm running unmodded BtS I still get all the BUG+BULL features. But yeah, I'll try and submit a quick game, thanks :thumbsup:

16. Noble Zarkon

The Buffy DLL is included with the Mod so it ignores any other DLL you might have installed.

17. lymond

BUFFY will run fine with BULL DLL, and as Noble noted BUFFY is standalone and ignores the main DLL. What having bull dll active does do is create a "different asset" state with your save. The only problem this creates is if for some reason we need to review a save created with BULL DLL active. We have to have the BULL DLL active on our end in order to open the save. Otherwise though, it is fine, but preferably you would generate HOF games without bull dll active.

Likewise, if you have BULL DLL you cannot open another HOF, GOTM or SGOTM save, because likely those saves are generated by folks that don't have bull dll active. This is due to the required Locked Modified Assets setting. Simply revert to the vanilla bts dll.

If you check the Win 10 thread over in the GOTM forum, and find my post there, I've attached a zip file containing what I call DLL switcher (.bat executables). I use them to switch from bull to vanilla dll. (ignore the one about buffy and steam)

Ofc, hopefully, you did not overwrite the vanilla dll..that would not be good. You'd have to reinstall or acquire it from someone.

(note: Installing BUFFY does not change any vanilla assets..hence, standalone. BUG/BULL installed in Custom Assets essentially does, but only the Custom Assets which can simply be deleted and refreshed. With the exception of BULL DLL which must replace the main dll to activate the features, but the main dll should be renamed with a .extension to inactivate it yet remain available when needed)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Pedro78 likes this.
  18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Any particular reason why there hasn't been a new G-Minor since the last one ended on 9 January?

Also, in the dropdown list on the HoF site, G-Minor 225 is listed as (In progress).

19. Noble Zarkon

Yes - we desperately need people to test Buffy 005 so are running a Beta Gauntlet instead , at the moment I'm the only person to have submitted any games with 005 :sad:

20. Noble Zarkon

Fixed - thanks for alerting us to that.