HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Thanks :) .. in this case I'll avoid submitting every game.
I'm getting better on my current slot and will try some variations, and I don't want that HoF slot to be half my games.. just spot 1 and 2 will suffice ;)

Edit : I will control the [Duel/Noble/Space] slot for experiments, and in the future I'll probably only sumbit 2 best games per slot.

Last edited:
Hello.
I also have run into same problem with GOG installation of BOTS of CIV4. My installation directory is non default one, and latest buffy mod refuses to load properly. It seems that i also need proper registry fix. I am running Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1.
Thank you in advance,
Uros

Hello.
I also have run into same problem with GOG installation of BOTS of CIV4. My installation directory is non default one, and latest buffy mod refuses to load properly. It seems that i also need proper registry fix. I am running Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1.
Thank you in advance,
Uros
Can you confirm your exact registry path please.

Can you confirm your exact registry path please.

I would like to fix it too

vanilla HOF-1.74.004
S:\extras\x2t64\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4
Warlords HOF-2.13.004
S:\extras\x2t64\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Warlords
Beyond the Sword BUFFY-3.19.005
S:\extras\x2t64\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword

I am completely new. I have the following :
  • Windows 10
  • Steam/ CIV IV/Warlords [installed]
  • I installed HOF [as per the directions stating it was needed for Warlords] and got it working
  • then I installed Mapfinder.
Once I installed mapfinder, the HOF mod always tells me that my game doesn't qualify with the current settings, yet I am using the same settings I was using that HOF liked before i installed MapFinder.

the HOF mod always tells me that my game doesn't qualify with the current settings
Are you really playing Warlords and if so are you using the correct version of the Mod?

I've never heard of MapFinder screwing up your installation.

Perhaps our resident Steam guru @lymond can help??

@boogaboo and @Noble Zarkon
I know it is tough to believe someone when they say they are experiencing something odd... so I tried to clean up everything and start from scratch..
I uninstalled Warlords from Steam. I then reloaded/reinstalled Warlords and reverted the version to the original version as explained by the HOF instructions on compatible Warlords with the HOF.
After that, I reinstalled HOF.

Then I started Warlords and loaded the HOF mod to see if I could play a simple game ...

As you can see from the attached screen shots I have the proper version of Warlords. I have the proper HOF mod.. I have a properly scoped scenario that is within the rules stated as well..

All seems correct to me and I checked and rechecked all the details that seem obvious...

but alas you can see the start screen still thinks I am not sticking to the proper limits of HOF..

It now seems to me that I have somehow got a situation/environment that has nothing to do with Mapfinder, but some other condition I can't figure out... anyways, you see the files and evidence below. any suggestions?

I also tried this on another computer and HOF works fine with no issues ..

Kim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.49.27 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.49.27 PM 1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 302
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.50.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.50.04 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.50.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.50.11 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
  • erverted_base_version.png
    erverted_base_version.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 238
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.54.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.54.25 PM.png
    424.6 KB · Views: 239
All seems correct to me and I checked and rechecked all the details that seem obvious...
It's likely something to do with a combination of Steam ands Warlords - been a long time since we had anyone try to play that version, hopefully Lymond can help out.

Not sure it's a Steam issue yet if works for another machine unless Steam version is not used ont that machine. @kagentes have you performed the steps 1 & 2 from here on your machine:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Usually when I see your issue it is related to doing the "Read Only" uncheck on the folders.

If it is Steam related it is an Asset issue. The problem with the Steam version - original release -is that there are still a few assets that are different. Really minor things but the HOF Mod does an asset check.

You download Asset Checker from here and run it for Warlords:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=assetschecker

Neilmeister first discovered this issue a few years ago with Steam. What he did is some steps to install the Steam version and then copy over assets from a non-steam version of the game. I narrowed this down a bit by discovering the exact assets that were different (actually just 3 or 4 minor files). I acquired these assets at the time from Neil actually who had uploaded the full assets. Not sure if that is still available.

But anyway, check your assets if the above steps do not work. Note the assets that are different. I have a non-steam install on another machine and may be able to get them to you if needed.

(Note: The different asset issue also affects loading other lock modified assets games like GOTMs or other HOF games. This does not apply to you and your games since you created said games with the corresponding assets)

Mapfinder should not be causing any issues with the HOF mod itself.

Last edited:
@kagentes By the way, I'm linking the earlier discussions we had on this issue a coupla years ago or so in a sticky over in the GOTM forum:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-warlords-on-windows-10.550889/#post-14270418

I linked directly to Neil's post and you can follow down a bit from there to a post where he links his Warlord assets, which appear to be still available to download. As mentioned above, I did not follow his steps to completely copy over all the assets but rather found the specific assets and replaced them.
(I also don't change my ini file as he does but use shorcuts for all mods, but for Warlords that is probably a simple idea since there really are no other mods for that version and it's nice to use HOF mod for vanilla and warlords versions - for any game - as it's the only way to get some UI enhancements)

The same can and must be done for Vanilla and BTS as well to work with HOF or GOTMs.

Did the .dll exchange again and fired up a game (been playing some BUG/BULL games). Then put the starting autosave into the checker here and everything looks fine, and with no red text warning in the game. Is it reasonable to then assume that my setup is working? Since I'm a slow player I don't want to play through a game (even with piss-easy settings) and submit, then wait to see if it's accepted, before starting to play. I was thinking of trying out the latest BOTM.

Haven't uninstalled and reinstalled the game since last I played, when I got some games accepted, but believe I have upgraded Linux Mint since then (but that shouldn't matter as the OS is on its own partition).

Then put the starting autosave into the checker here and everything looks fine, and with no red text warning in the game. Is it reasonable to then assume that my setup is working?
If the checker accepted it then yes it should be fine.

Top Bottom