Honesty and self critique

Cedbird

Warlord
What is your biggest flaw and or biggest thing you need to work on with your Civ Strategy?Do you even care to fix it?Is it fixable? You know game after game it is a major trend.You loose because of this major flaw in your game.
My flaw is that early game I could be Attila I try to both build all the Ancient wonders while at the same time build the army that will end all armies :lol:. I end up doing neither and the fun and advantage is gone and I am bogged down in a so so game.Or worst with another Civ I try to have my Civ cake and eat it too and go for the wonders,tick off my neighbors by aggressively going for nice areas to settle near them and thinking my army is just big enough to stave off an attack.One two or three Civs come at me at just the wrong time and the game is over :cry:

I guess my bad thing is that I tend to pick liberty and fail sometimes. I have failed with liberty before twice and I have changed that and no longer choose liberty anymore. As for the rest of the game and the other things that need criticism, I think is the underestimation of the usual traditional peaceful wonder spammer method. Some wonder spammers get to get their culture up on time during before a science victory or even domination victory.

1) I am always late with founding new cities :lol: especially in early game I often have one city when everyone has 2 - 3 and later I have to rush with development

2) I always always always have too small army :lol: Usually it looks like this:
- 'oh I have to create this building... and wonder...'
- 'phew, nobody is going to attack me, I don't care about army'
- 'oh my God I have the worst army in the world'
- 'let's improve it!'

and then I make few attempts of Great Militarization, each of them fails until the final one when I finally have on of the top armies in the world :p

The problem is, I frequently face terrifying foes while still having completely unprepared army :lol:

My bad habit is grabbing neighbor cities without doing the diplomatic groundwork. I manage to get a couple friends, then denounce my neighbor and nab a few big cities. Then the entire world comes to tell me what a jackass I am. Once that starts, you know it's going to be a long game of "it's always nice to see my favorite city state again." It's hard in the extreme to go completely tall for me. I just can't see a competitor thrive while I mash the next turn button. Not when I could just slide over there with my shiny new longswords.

Bring on the hate. It gets me every time.

My biggest flaw is going for the shiny things and neglecting my duties, especially military wise.

"Oh, such a nice wonder, only 15 turns!" "That would be a nice place for city, need to build settler omfg!"

And when it comes to military:"hmm, only 20 turns til I've got barracks in all my cities, plus 10 for heroic epic, THEN I can finally begin to build my super duper 15% plus elite soldiers...."

So thats my biggest weakness, and every time I build bowmen instead of granary, I remind myself to do it in order to stay "disciplined", like a hockey player suppressing his anger in order to help the team.

My biggest flaw is probably that I quite often fail to acknowledge when to end a war. Got backstabbed by Japan in my last game (quelle surprise!), forced him back and counterattacked into a well defended city with outdated Composites and started producing more military when I realized that I wasn't able to attack the city. 30 turns later I still didn't manage to take that city and I was behind on basically everything. :D

I tend to balance nearly everything well except military. Every game, without fail, my army is kinda mediocre if not downright pathetic. I usually have enough gold and am decent enough at combat that I can save myself from defeat even when surprised, but can't seem to motivate myself to build anything near the appropriate level for my immortal games until around the industrial era--reason being I don't want them sitting there costing me gold and would rather expand and buy things. I usually survive due to making friends and siccing the AI on each other with my gold, but it's kinda lame. I should really suck it up and be better prepared. This sort of play would be an open invitation to any human player on MP. Bad single-player habits. Ive killed plenty of Immortal-level AI with the strategy though., and usually end up crushing a few ppl but only around the industrial/modern when I'm ready to be conquesting.

"I won't bother going for the Ancient Wonders... the AI always gets those."

"Hmm... I guess I could start on Oracle now... right after I make another archer."

"GAH! AI beat me to Oracle! Okay, I'll focus on Parthenon - once that settler is out."

100 turns later, suddenly realize...

"OMFG Persia has EVERY WONDER and they're running away with the game!"

Probably I don't like to spend to much time in a single game.
Also I like to test new things out so my games useally don't looks as well as some others but it can also help to have knowledge that you can then share to others.

Monument first. Before anything, even a scout. My first action is building, nearly always, a monument. So I miss a lot of ruins. I think they are so random. It's really a gamble to go for a culture one. And I want to open Tradition/Liberty as soon as possible. Only with Soshones I start with a pathfinder and it makes me uncomfortable.
Also, I build too many wonders on low level (what ? Chichen Itza still available T125. I'm at 25in happiness but it will be good with Taj Mahal).
Neglect my army on high (Why do I need archers when Dynamite is only in 100 turns ?).
Build too late caravans/cargo ships. So I struggle to growth.
Last but not least, I'm Liberty addicted.

My biggest flaw i would say is taking too many cities when conquering.
I like my empire to be connected and see too big a gap between cities as a vulnerability but i can lead to me being bogged down at points with me being unable to grow or conquer more cities because i have too many crappy little filler cities i captured to join up my empire.
Having said that though it is something i am aware of and really do try to take into mind when conquering but it can be hard when that pop up screen arrives to be firm with yourself.

I never build enough of an army and am constantly criticized by those hostile and guarded towards me about my puny army. And I'm also usually late when it comes to settling new cities I always focus too much on developing the capital before planting a second city

:lol::lol::lol: I have read the first two post and I am having a ball already.Too funny and I see myself in both somewhere.This is great.
My bad habit is grabbing neighbor cities without doing the diplomatic groundwork. I manage to get a couple friends, then denounce my neighbor and nab a few big cities. Then the entire world comes to tell me what a jackass I am. Once that starts, you know it's going to be a long game of "it's always nice to see my favorite city state again." It's hard in the extreme to go completely tall for me. I just can't see a competitor thrive while I mash the next turn button. Not when I could just slide over there with my shiny new longswords.

Bring on the hate. It gets me every time.

I play on Prince and always win..always...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ahhh no fun.The first 3 post were hilarious.This one was sad :sad:. You have to move up so I can hear your funny story about getting thrashed by an Boudicca backstab :D

Ahhh no fun.The first 3 post were hilarious.This one was sad :sad:. You have to move up so I can hear your funny story about getting thrashed by an Boudicca backstab :D

I enjoy winning. I also refuse to concede cheating advantages to the AI . I prefer to play this level without micromanaging . I must say I never reload so sometimes my capital is on a tundra tile. I know people here playing immortal would reload, not me.

I was used to play this level because it was this level who was equal to the AI but not that much since BNW. I'll probably go up a level on my next game.

I get into this cycle with Tradition, it's like I'll build things like the Hanging Gardens and the Oracle and then I'll be like "Man my capital sure is awesome, look how quickly I can build the National Epic!" and I'll never want to build my settler because "My city is growing every 5 turns, don't want to interrupt that!"

My biggest flaw is my inability to finish games. I tend to start a game to try something new and get to somewhere around the Renaissance/Industrial before having to turn it off and get back to the real world. Next time I boot the game up I've either lost interest in the game or have thought of something else I want to try instead. This has led to me being much stronger at early/mid game but rather weak in the late game.

Also I'm really good at neglecting enough melee units in my armies. I go to invade a city and find an army rolling in after the first bombardment. After our clash of wills I'm left with all my ranged and siege units and only a couple badly damage melee which my opponent is smart enough to pick off with bombardment. Then I have to pull out and wait for new melee units :-S

Top Bottom