House of the Dragon (Season 1 of GoT-related series discussion)

This is the births and special effects show.
Also
Spoiler :
someone texted Daemon with the news of a dragon killed half a continent away.
Wouldn't put it past them to reveal Daemon was there and picked up the boy in mid-air, so that this becomes spiderman

Dragonstone is very close to Storms End.

Looked like no witnesses though all they should know kid didn't come back.

Yes, it was excellent. I think that taking a full season to lay down the foundation for the upcoming war was a smart choice. If they are planning a 5 or 6 season story there is no reason to rush. It is better storytelling.

Spoiler :
I guess though, that since they never explain how they heat those cavernous halls, feed the dragons, get ravens back to their starting points, or make enough candles, the fantasy story must fail. Maybe I should stop watching unless such grievous errors are fixed.

Yes, it was excellent. I think that taking a full season to lay down the foundation for the upcoming war was a smart choice. If they are planning a 5 or 6 season story there is no reason to rush. It is better storytelling.

Spoiler :
I guess though, that since they never explain how they heat those cavernous halls, feed the dragons, get ravens back to their starting points, or make enough candles, the fantasy story must fail. Maybe I should stop watching unless such grievous errors are fixed.
Spoiler :
I know right? Trash... this show, utter trash. The older actors version of the characters don't even look exactly like the younger ones... Oh the humanity! Oh the immersion breaking!! Did I mention that the Valeryons are black?!?! Totally unrealistic, unlike the fire-breathing dragons which are totally historically accurate...

Double "Like" bj :lol:.

Spoiler :

Think they're planning 4 seasons.

Spoiler :
I know right? Trash... this show, utter trash. The older actors version of the characters don't even look exactly like the younger ones... Oh the humanity! Oh the immersion breaking!! Did I mention that the Valeryons are black?!?! Totally unrealistic, unlike the fire-breathing dragons which are totally historically accurate...

Double "Like" bj :lol:.
Spoiler :
Y'all have it wrong. The trick is to hate it but continue watching so you can make snide or triggered comments on the internet after each episode.

RobAnybody is actively Ignoring the snark on people who insist on realistic story-elements once the fantastic story-elements have been defined, which seems a totally reasonable position to take! :)

I enjoyed the season overall, although I wasn't a fan of the whole "this season is a prologue to the actual story of a prologue" feel to it now that we are done. My Team Rhaenyra fandom waned a bit over the episodes, particularly over the last two episodes where we were shown that she (& her Father, absolutely) did literally nothing to recognize/acknowledge/prepare for the idea that she would be usurped when Viserys died. She literally waited until he died to try to secure her "alliances"? Come on, Rhaenyra! It makes it difficult to root for someone so clueless in the... *ahem*, to coin a phrase, game of thrones (that will likely catch on, I'm sure).

Also, now that you mention it, I mean, who lights those hundreds of freaking candles!! Where do they get that many candles & then make them burn all at the same rate, like all the freakin' time! How do you even go about such a thing?!? Sorry, sorry,... my OCD kicked in there for a bit.

Looking forward to the next season, but my anticipation is kinda back to where it was when this season started - as in, I was definitely gonna watch it, but wasn't super-enthusiastic about it. My enjoyment built up quite a bit during the actual season, but then diminished quite a lot during the later episodes when... nothing much really happened & it was clear it was all just set up - prologue to a prologue, as I mentioned. It was enjoyable, but overall a letdown from earlier when I got more invested.

I just didn't find a lot of characters to root for, or even be interested in. The ones who started off interesting (Rhaenyra, Daemond, eventually Aemond, heck, even later that Larys guy with the foot fetish - he's interesting at least), just... never did anything really consequential.

Anyway, still in, still (but less so) Team Rhaenyra, still looking forward to next season.

Last edited:
RobAnybody is actively Ignoring the snark on people who insist on realistic story-elements once the fantastic story-elements have been defined, which seems a totally reasonable position to take! :)
Personally, the dig was at the increasingly professional haters on the internet in general. There are always problems with realism on TV, but some things are not the problems people think they are.

Top Bottom