How Are You Dealing with Trade Now That the Patch Broke It?

godotnut

Inverted Unicycle
I and a number of other people have already reported a huge bug in the trade system to the proper area, but I want to post here to try to start a conversation with people who are still playing Civ6 with the bug. In case you don't know, since the last patch the AI will now give away all of their great works and relics for anything--even one gold--in a trade. Apparently, there is a similar bug with trades for a joint war, though I haven't experienced it yet.

This bug is pretty game breaking if you like cultural wins and use the trade system, which I assume most of us do. Yet I see hardly anyone commenting on it. What gives? Are you not noticing it? Or have you noticed it and don't care because you don't initiate trades with the AI? If you know of it and play anyway, how do you deal with trades, especially in cultural games, where trading to make theming bonuses is crucial?

If you are not experiencing the bug and have already traded great works with the AI, could you let me know in the thread below? This may help to isolate the problem.

Is this bug being acknowledged in the GOTMs?

Also, if you know someone who used to not be so good but who suddenly is winning games on deity, you may now know why. Getting all of the great works in the game for nothing definitely helps.

I only recently picked up Civ 6 after this patch. I went for a culture victory in my last game and thought it was weird the AI would just give up their great works for nothing. I'm glad this is a bug! Next play through I just wouldn't bother with trading great works until this is fixed.

What was the value the AI used to place on a great work before the patch?
Can the AI trade between themselves and exploit this as well?

If you wanted to play without exploits as best you can I'd just make sure you make a fair trade to the AI for their great work - whatever that was pre-patch.

There have been many posts on the matter.

And I don't bother at all. I've always held disdain towards the crowd that seeks out new games and takes advantage of bad design/exploits in an effort be the "best" and then when it gets fixed there's always some comment about how they used to be good and now the game sucks (aka they can't play the game anymore when they are forced to play it).

I don't want to be that sort of person especially when using these things as crutch has crippled my growth in previous games.

If you wanted to play without exploits as best you can I'd just make sure you make a fair trade to the AI for their great work - whatever that was pre-patch.

That would be pretty complicated, and I would have to know all the variables. It isn't a flat rate but rather based on a variety of factors. It's a lot to ask a player to know and do all the math for this, and I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of figuring out the math for the formula.

What was the value the AI used to place on a great work before the patch?
Can the AI trade between themselves and exploit this as well?

An early relic could be bought for a luxury and give or take 10 gpt. They wouldn't sell great works though.

And I'm sure AI trades between them selves as I've seen GW in hands of almost every player.

I gave the summer patch a shot last week but I still see a lot of bugs : the trade bug, the forever occupied city bug, the legacy bonuses bug, to mention the most obvious ones.

Regarding great works, I forced myself not to trade any until this bug is fixed but it's very annoying.

Btw, what is GOTMs?

Since I don't like playing civ like it was a 24-7 wargame and I like to use diplomacy and releations (as well as war) to win and because that kind of play isn't working for the moment, I have stopped playing. The summer patch did some good, planes fly and so on, but since the diplomacy is broken for the moment. It's not fun to play anymore because of that. I will wait for the next patch (I will give civ one more chance).

Personnally, I just don't include any relics or great work in trades...

The bug IS annoying, because it IS normally possible to get some GW, especially in war ending peace trades, but
I just can't use exploits like that just to win games, not when I spend tons of hours on each and every game...

In a peace deal you get 1 gold 1 luxury and peace but you can get that exact same deal and a relic too. If you take the relic are you cheating?

I want the relic so bad it looks so nice and shiny.

I was about to step up from King to... Emperor (?); but I don't want to now. I don't want my first win on that next level up to come from extra poor A.I. negotiating; and I can't see how that won't happen at the mo; even if it's a struggle out of the gate. So I guess I could mess around a bit with the scenarios if they aren't as adversely effected. More likely though I have been ignoring Soren Johnson's Off-world Trading Company for far too long now.

Meh, the fact the AI will sell the farm for peanuts won't matter if you choose not to take advantage. In fact, forgoing trade could potentially make the game marginally more challenging. The jump from King to Emperor is not huge.

Meh, the fact the AI will sell the farm for peanuts won't matter if you choose not to take advantage. In fact, forgoing trade could potentially make the game marginally more challenging. The jump from King to Emperor is not huge.

I could choose to play a warmonger strategy I guess. What exactly is "not taking advantage"? That'll vary.... ;)

This is still not fixed lmao ?

I'm a marathon player, who's just completed his first game post patch, so no idea!

I am really curious why modders don't try to fix the bugs. I mean, I don't expect a new patch before October, so it would pay out.

I could choose to play a warmonger strategy I guess. What exactly is "not taking advantage"? That'll vary.... ;)

It does require that you limit some of your options. For example, I will not currently attempt to trade an AI for a great work or a relic, nor will I ask for them in peace deals. When negotiating peace I'm willing to take their gold and ask that any cities that were conquered be ceded, and nothing more.

The AI does now seem willing to provide increasing amounts of gold for luxes as the game wears on, and this I will take advantage of, as the sums they offer in the early game are somewhat small relative to the value of an amenity, imo. In the ancient era I can get up to 170 total gold for a lux (140 plus 1 per turn for 30 turns), but an amenity is worth way more than this later in the game when they are necessary to keep your pop growing or continue expanding.

Top Bottom