How do I stop a recurring nuclear meltdown?

hucker

Warlord
In the gathering storm addon, One of my city's nuclear power plants has a nuclear meltdown every few turns (started during a war when it was hit by a nuclear bomb). Is there any way of stopping this? I can't "recommission nuclear reactor" because the tile is contaminated. I can't get a builder in there either. What do I do?

Not much you can do except evacuate the city and erect a giant concrete barrier around the site and wait for it to decay

You'd think by version 6 things would be more realistic. Not being able to raze a city just because it's a capital also irritates me.

A worker is wasted if it ends its turn on a nuked tile, work your way into the centre, using the logistics card if required.
The chance of a meltdown starts happening after 10 turns and if you go down to projects in a nuke city there is a warning if it can melt down.
Just run a project every 10 turns and you will never get one nor build much.
How lucky are you feeling?

I'm just going to avoid nuclear power from now on, it's too much hassle. I like to save the uranium for giant death robots anyway.

But out of interest, what is this "logistics card" you mention? I assume I have to get the worker onto the nuclear plant tile to fix it? Can a worker fix it anyway? I thought it had to be repaired as a city building task, like repairing the encampment or holy site etc.

Oh, I wasn't aware the worker could fix the nuclear plant. A pillaged holy site for example is repaired by a task in the city. Mind you, I think when I tried to do that with the nuclear plant, it said "the tile is contaminated", so perhaps I have to clean it first with a worker, then rebuild? I'm going to avoid using nuclear power from now on, but your idea of using the logistics card and workers could aid me in sorting a mess if an enemy drops a nuke on me.

I have never had a meltdown so I guess I should have one just to know what I am taking about
Logistics gives you +1 movement so if you have to clear +2 mp land it could help.
My understanding is the reactor is pilllaged so has to be repaired, you may have to start by repairing the IZ

Top Bottom