How does 1UPT effect your decision will buy Civ 7

• I will not buy Civ 7 if it has 1UPT

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • I will only buy Civ 7 if it has 1UPT

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • It's only one of many factors in my decision

Votes: 87 82.9%

• Total voters
1UPT seems to elicit some very strong opinions. I'm interested in find out if the return of 1UPT in Civ 7 will have an effect on the number of people purchasing the game. Usual disclaimer that this forum represents a certain segment of the player base.

i dont like doomstacks but i am willing to see if the devs can figure out something that i enjoy , that being said 1 UPT is also not a good enough system. adding generals supply units is a good start , hopefully something decent can come out with a little more thinkering

Old World uses 1UPT, and I think that, were the combat and the AI in Civs V and VI as interesting as they are in that game, the paradigm would be fairly well regarded. But I won't mind if Civ VII uses a different paradigm, provided there are limits on the number of units in a stack (a feature Humankind has, albeit its tactical maps mean that actual combat allows only one unit to a tile). I think that the military aspect of Civilization is a cat that can be skinned many ways, and what really matters is that AI can put up a decent fight and that said fight offers the players meaningful strategic choices. Civ IV's combat, for all the tedium inherent in the Stacks of Doom, meets both those criteria

There's a balance between unlimited doomstacks and 1UPT which would be fine. I like 1UPT, but some form of limited stacking wouldn't turn me off.

What would turn me off are the amplitude style combat mini-games. I just find they break my immersion/concentration too much.

Some form of combined unit types would be interesting. Sticking a melee, ranged and defensive all together as one stack? Make combined armies a thing, where we can stack different types of units to gain different bonuses for the full stack? Corps = two units, army = three units perhaps.
Just thinking aloud here.

1UPT seems to elicit some very strong opinions. I'm interested in find out if the return of 1UPT in Civ 7 will have an effect on the number of people purchasing the game. Usual disclaimer that this forum represents a certain segment of the player base.
If they can get the AI to a state it can conquer my cities at any point during a game - I’m fine with 1UPT. I wouldn’t mind limited stacking though such as the ability to put a melee and siege unit in a group one the same tile.

I’ve tested a lot of weird addons that remove certain aspects of the game and I think toning down the number of city attacks would help the AI too. I personally think encampment and city attack is just way too much and adding Victor makes it unassailable pre-flight,

I don’t think cities should be able to even city attack without a unit garrisoned either.

Dooms must've been removed now they use 1UPT. I'm expecting 1UPT. I could be way off. Either one would be fine by me.

I'm sorry, is this from 2011 when Civ V was rolled out? I didn't think anyone cared about 1UPT anymore. :dunno:

I'm sorry, is this from 2011 when Civ V was rolled out? I didn't think anyone cared about 1UPT anymore. :dunno:
Over in the Civ3 and Civ4 forums, a sizeable number of active Civfanatics refuse to give Civ5 and Civ6 much of a chance, due to the repercussions of 1UPT. Many of them have indeed made their peace with the "future" of Civ being tied to 1UPT, but not many are happy with that. They may feel more and more forgotten, not willing to give Civ7 a chance either. A small group? Perhaps, especially compared with the Steam numbers for Civ5 and Civ6 active players.

For my part -- since I actively play Civ3, Civ6, and BERT -- my principal objection to 1UPT has to do with pathfinding algorithms. Allowing some stacking so that more units can pass through each other, on the way to where the player wants them to go, will be a gift for me. I will no longer be solving the "sliding tile puzzle" noted by @aieeegrunt , while I believe that the AI will be much more effective in moving its units as well. Corps and armies are well and good, but they don't address the pathfinding and sliding tile puzzle aspect. If Civ7 has 1UPT, that will be one part of my decision. I have not played enough Old World to comment on how they addressed the pathfinding challenge for the AI or their AI's ability to threaten the human player's cities.

Over in the Civ3 and Civ4 forums, a sizeable number of active Civfanatics refuse to give Civ5 and Civ6 much of a chance, due to the repercussions of 1UPT. Many of them have indeed made their peace with the "future" of Civ being tied to 1UPT, but not many are happy with that. They may feel more and more forgotten, not willing to give Civ7 a chance either. A small group? Perhaps, especially compared with the Steam numbers for Civ5 and Civ6 active players.

For my part -- since I actively play Civ3, Civ6, and BERT -- my principal objection to 1UPT has to do with pathfinding algorithms. Allowing some stacking so that more units can pass through each other, on the way to where the player wants them to go, will be a gift for me. I will no longer be solving the "sliding tile puzzle" noted by @aieeegrunt , while I believe that the AI will be much more effective in moving its units as well. Corps and armies are well and good, but they don't address the pathfinding and sliding tile puzzle aspect. If Civ7 has 1UPT, that will be one part of my decision. I have not played enough Old World to comment on how they addressed the pathfinding challenge for the AI or their AI's ability to threaten the human player's cities.

You should try the mod “ARS - Improved Movement v2.2”

It both allows limited stacking as well as increasing move allowances for most units, and gets rid of the sliding tile problem

Hmm, I vote "isn't a part of my decision making on this whatsoever." Combat is very VERY far down my list of things I'm looking for in civ. I know it makes a difference for non combat units too, but not enough for me to really move the needle.

I bet they do rework unit movement/etc. in some pretty major way though.

I'll get Civ 7 no matter what. Strategically I favor 1upt over the doom stack, so I hope it returns.

I hate this false dilemma

It’s not “skyscraper stacks with zero stack management tools” or 1UPT with zero options in between. It’s a totally nonsense argument

Implementing a limited stacking system is trivial, there are several mods for Civ6 (and 5) that do just that.

My personal favorite lets you stack one of each unit class (ranged, foot, cavalry) and increases movement by one

It is unbelievable how much better this makes combat and movement in this game, since you don’t have to solve a sliding tile puzzle every time you move your units. It makes the AI able to actually wage war

And damn, an actual reason to make a combined arms force

Top Bottom